Introduce Yourself

d.manuk

Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:49 am

commonbrew wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:58 pm
Hi, I've looked around the forum from time to time, but I finally decided to stop lurking and make an account

How long have you been drinking tea?

I've enjoyed tea most of my life, but I only started moving from bottled tea and tea bags to find teas I really liked around 2 years ago.

What kind of tea do you drink?

My favorites tend to be oolongs, but I enjoy white and puerh as well as the occasional green. As far as oolong teas go I tend to drink a lot of yancha, roasted taiwanese oolong, and dan cong

How do you prepare your tea?

I'd estimate something like 40:40:20 gong fu: western: cold brew

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

Whatever I'm in the mood for, which changes decently often. We just got some snow here so I've been drinking lots of yancha by the fire. I'd also like to learn more about teaware since I've just invested in my first clay pot.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
It just tastes good honestly. I simply love drinks that taste good to me and that actually even extends to a passion for herbal teas and sodas.

What is your location?
Boston, USA
Belated welcome to a fellow Bostonian
Thundercleese

Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:54 pm

Hey all!

I've been lurking long enough around here that I felt like it was time to actually sign up. :D

I drink all teas. If there's a place that grows tea, I want some in my collection. I'm currently blown away by the Georgian Breakfast tea from Renegade (in Georgia the country), which is essentially a delicious chocolate bomb. Even the tannins feel like cocoa powder, it's pretty ridiculous.

I've been a fan of tea for years, but this year I've really started focusing in on the academic and knowing-by-experience side of things. Which subvarietals grow where, oxidative treatments vs. fermentation, sheng vs shou pu-erh, Chinese vs Japanese green tea processes, etc. In a past life I was a sommelier, I'm essentially trying to gain the same perspective with tea.

So I've been ordering from tea sellers around the world, trying to source as close to the growers as possible. Over the last few months it's been China (mostly purples and shou pu-erh), India, Ceylon, Burma, Vietnam, Malawi, Iran, and Indonesia, with Japan and Taiwan coming up in the next couple. I'll spare you all the details of the individual orders for this post.

The same goes for teaware as well. I know the basic academic differences between Yixing, Nixing, Jianshui, and Chaozhou pots but I haven't had the experience of brewing tea in any. I've been using a Tokoname-yaki pot or porcelain pot after brewing in a French Press.
pedant
Admin

Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Thundercleese wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:54 pm
Hey all!
welcome!
Chaim Forbes
Vendor

Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:32 am

Hello everyone ! i'm new here,exciting to intrduce myself,
I was born in Xinyang, China, the hometown of the world famous Xinyang Maojian tea, so I have been in touch with tea since I was a child, as long as the guests at home will definitely make tea, and it is the best Xinyang Maojian. My father taught me to make tea since I was 5 years old. So I know a lot about tea etiquette and knowledge
I usually drink Xinyang Maojian, which is my hometown tea, and I hope to introduce it, and some other Chinese teas :D
pedant
Admin

Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:15 am

welcome to the forum :D
Victoria
Admin

Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:32 am

Welcome to TeaForum all new members. We look forward to hearing from you 🍃
Landi

Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:09 am

How long have you been drinking tea?
I have been a serious tea drinker for about 25 years.
What kind of tea do you drink?
I am currently drinking machine-harvested organic black tea from Ceylon that I buy in a regular grocery store with a clear freshness check on the stamp in the package. Drink black every day at a reasonable price and spend the money on Taiwanese High Mountain Tea which I drink every day in the afternoon. I order oolong tea directly from Taiwan from various suppliers.
How do you make your tea?
Oolong in many short infusions black teas I stick to 1 infusion with a long draw time.
What technology are you interested in exploring right now?
High Mountain Oolong.
What factors make you delve into

I started with Japanese green teas many years ago when I needed to unwind after work. I have tried many teas over the years.

What is the world that keeps you there?
Tea leaves a sober intoxicating feeling of well-being that gives everyday life a clearer picture.
What is your location?

Eu.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:48 am

Welcome to TeaForum @Landi. Many oolong enthusiasts here, if you look in Vendor Discussion & Recommendations there are several ideas there as well as in Oolong Tea thread 🍃
servania

Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:46 pm

Hello there!

I'm Servania pretty long standing seal translator and cataloguer on various outlets. Reddit (owner of r/YixingSeals) , facebook, my own website and various published resources.

I've for the longest tried to make an account here but the sites signup was bugged for the longest :lol:

Anywho, I've been into tea for about five years, but I am infinitely more interested in Yixing teapots and seals. Thus far I've catalogued factory one seals from the 1960's up, as well as published a guide on how to read seal script.

Happy to finally be here!
pedant
Admin

Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:19 pm

welcome, @servania!

very sorry you couldn't sign up before. thanks a lot for your persistence, lol. 🙏

i just checked out your seal guide google doc. nice!

edit: i see now you have multiple documents. will give them a read tomorrow.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:40 am

Welcome to TeaForum @servania. Nice research thanks for sharing 🍃
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:47 am

@servania hello! I believe we just met elsewhere as well ;)
Thundercleese

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:06 am

servania wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:46 pm
Hello there!

I'm Servania pretty long standing seal translator and cataloguer on various outlets. Reddit (owner of r/YixingSeals) , facebook, my own website and various published resources.

I've for the longest tried to make an account here but the sites signup was bugged for the longest :lol:

Anywho, I've been into tea for about five years, but I am infinitely more interested in Yixing teapots and seals. Thus far I've catalogued factory one seals from the 1960's up, as well as published a guide on how to read seal script.

Happy to finally be here!
Awesome! I've been lurking there quite a bit. Thanks for the work that you do!!
servania

Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:43 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:47 am
servania hello! I believe we just met elsewhere as well ;)
Haha I’ve read your posts on here for a good while checking the sign up process every couple of months or so to eventually join in. A lot of my formative knowledge is from these forums, label eras, youzis clay documentation work etc
hoqos
New user

Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:59 am

Hi,

I have been drinking tea since my early childhood. Two step brewing, poor to medium quality assam tea with cookies :ugeek: . Tried taiwanese oolong teas in ~2008 which started my tea addiction. Went though a couple experiments with different brewing methods and tea types and settled with sheng puerh and gongfu brewing for now.

RU, Kazan suburbs