Introduce Yourself

Bok
Vendor

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:00 am

@Tykal sounds like you have had a rough ride... glad you found something to take your mind of it

I am sure you will be finding lots of helpful people here, willing to share what they have learned.

For an iffy stomach I’d also suggest to venture into aged Oolongs if you can find them. Usually more easy on the stomach than younger ones.
pedant
Admin

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:39 pm

thanks, @Tykal. i liked that.

as for where to post about yellows, good question. maybe in the green tea area for now?
jackramirez

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:13 am

Hi, everyone!

How long have you been drinking tea?
Nearly year.
What kind of tea do you drink?
I like pu er
How do you prepare your tea?
I don't know to do it the right way or not, but I prepare tea in the french press.
What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
I am interested in ways to prepare tea. And in varieties of tea
What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
Firstly, the taste of the tea!
What is your location?
US. St.Louis

If somebody had come across this problem like me, please, help me)
I want learn something new, but haven't any idea.
Last edited by pedant on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed link to affiliate-link-laden page
pedant
Admin

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:17 am

jackramirez wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:13 am
Hi, everyone!
welcome!
medroses

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:39 am

Hello everybody!

- about a year now

- I almost exclusively drink yancha, nothing else has been able to compare for. Good yancha is just so magical. I am highly interested in learning about purr also

- gong fu style in yixing teapots and gaiwans

- demystifying yixing and learning more about the intricacies of yancha.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
- quarantine boredom and curiosity haha
belewfripp

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Hello folks...

A few years. I used to pretend I like the taste of coffee and enjoyed drinking different varieties of it. But really I think it tastes like hot garbage and I moved on to tea. And anything I do, I tend to do in-depth and so tea became yet another hobby (because apparently what I really needed was yet another way to spend more money).

Lots of kinds - white, puer and other dark tea, oolong...some red/black tea. Green tea only rarely. Almost entirely loose leaf or compressed/aged. Although I do have some Harney & Sons Earl Grey sachets hanging around that I bought out of desperation waiting for another order to arrive (I have yet to achieve hoarder status). Mostly Chinese tea right now, though I bought a variety of Japanese tea recently (including some goishicha) mostly on a lark.

Depends on the tea, the time I have and whether I feel like experimenting. I often drink gongfu style, but I also frequently will drink "grandpa style", and do a fair amount of stovetop boiling, too.

Aged oolongs and aged non-puer dark teas are the thing I'm diving into currently, but I'm usually digging up information from multiple directions. We'll see where that batch of Japanese tea I ordered sends me.

I wanted to know more and my general perspective on the world and my place in it is that I'm unlikely to have all the info there is (or even much of it at all) so there is always something new to discover or more to know. Having drunk my way through the sorts of tea found in a rural grocery store, my curiosity more or less said, "This can't be everything so - what else is out there?" I started to do some research, discovered puer and then the wide range of other Chinese teas. There's a lot to know and experience - more than one person could probably hope to do alone - so there's always some new style, base tea, aging technique, storage or processing methodology, etc that changes things, so there's really no end to the varieties to chase.

And of course because good tea tastes and makes you feel good.

What is your location?

Pennsylvania.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @belewfripp, @medroses, @jackramirez, @Tykal and @thea_philosophia and @Andrew S. Looking forward to your hearing about your journey and explorations 🍃.
olivierd

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:39 am

Hi Everyone,

Hard to introduce oneself, so I'll follow the suggested guidelines.
I've been drinking tea for decades, but got more serious for the past 10-12 years.
I drink Puerh, Oolong, and green Japanese tea (Matcha and Gyokuro).
Chinese tea is prepared gong-fu in Yixing teapots and gaiwan, green Japanese ones in Kyusu, Shiboradashi and traditional Chawan.
I'm still feeling very confused when it comes to Puerh and Yixing, this is were i'd like to more insights.
Since I like to understand what i'm doing and possibly do things properly to get the most out of it, I have been searching and silently reading a lot of stuff, but I thought I would register in case I have the opportunity either to share some experience, and that would be mostly related to Chanoyu that I study, or ask some assistance and that would be in the realm of Chinese tea and Yixing. I believe from the experience of Chado, peace in a bowl of tea is a reality, likewise, sharing a good cup of Puerh is also a very rewarding experience... provided the tea and the brewing is appropriate. In fact I'm a daily drinker.
Thanks for reading.
Kansha.
Olivier
pedant
Admin

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 pm

welcome, @olivierd. nice to have you here :mrgreen:
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Yes, welcome to TeaForum @olivierd. Where do you hail from? We have members from all over the world 🌞🍃
saucypots
New user

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Hi all,
I got my first job in the fancy food world at a cheese shop in Boston (well, Cambridge) 15 years ago. I had the chance to explore a bunch of stuff while I was there, Lapsang Souchong, Pu Erh, Darjeeling etc. Not great examples, but a good place to start. After I left I kept a few staples from Mem Tea, a local importer, around the house. When the pandemic lockdown started, I began aggressively sampling through everything Mem had to offer and now almost a year later, I have a couple of cakes coming from @Emmett and a pot coming from @Bok. Tons more to learn and miles to go, but looking forward to learning and going while sipping some Chawangshu from a tiny clay pot.
JuliaJoJo
New user

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 am

Hello Everyone,
I am Julia and glad to see everyone here.

A few examples of what you might share:
When I searched Japanese Teapot on google, I found this website. Also, there are many information I need. For example, the title of "first teapot", I really enjoy the pictures and words from others.

6 months.

Japanese and Korean green tea.

60 degree water to make green tea.

All about green tea and white tea. Also, I need more good dealer shop information for buying Japanese Teapot.

Covid19 changed our life. I work from home and found lots of time for myself. I do not like tea at all, until 6 months ago, suddenly I got a Korean Green tea as the gift. I start to learn green tea and watch teapot, tea ware pictures everyday online.

What is your location?
US TX Austin
GushuDino69
New user

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:48 pm

-My whole life, but gongfu maybe around 3 years. I've upgraded from teabags.

-All types, but prefer Wuyi oolongs and pu erh.

-Gongfu, now getting into clay but have been doing a lot of my brews through gaiwan or porcelain tea pot.

-Aging tea, learning about clay and their effects on tea, how the chemicals released by tea effect the drinker.

-Honestly some of the Meileaf.com videos. I know a lot of people give them a hard time for obvious reasons, but their videos introduced me to gongfu and was a starting point for me. I dont order from them too much any more, but am still looking for other tea companies that may specialize in various tea types (PM me if you have suggestions, please).

What is your location?

-USA
pedant
Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 pm

welcome! :mrgreen:
flo62134
New user

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:05 pm

Hello!

My name is Florent, I am a 24 year-old French male.

I began drinking tea when I was 16.
I started with Lipton bags and then my big sister bought me a real teapot for my 18th birthday.
I still use this teapot in my everyday life and I still love drinking tea!

When I work, I don't take the time to prepare my tea with my teapot.
Instead, I use tea infusers to be more efficient.

On weekends, I use Gaiwans or my teapot to infuse my tea.
I usually drink my tea while reading a good book, talking with my girlfriend or while playing a videogame.

Currently, I drink:
- Green Japanese tea: I love a good sencha!
- Black tea, with a lot of spices: Black Chai tea for example
- Green flavored tea with fruits, flowers, these are very refreshing

My favorite tea these days is the Mocha cream delight, by Teatap, a new company in my town.

Thanks for welcoming me!
Last edited by flo62134 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.