Introduce Yourself

pedant
Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:42 am

welcome!
Victoria
Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @supernova hailing from Ukraine and @commonbrew via Boston. Be safe, be well, happy holidays 🌞.
supernova

Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:42 pm

Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum supernova hailing from Ukraine and commonbrew via Boston. Be safe, be well, happy holidays 🌞.
Thanks nice Admin :D . You too!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:01 pm

supernova wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 am
I do not yet know. I have been an adept of a shaving forum for quite a long time and I have made some interesting observations. People might not understand here, but I have been shaving with 2 different blades, same razor and same brush for a year. This would be like driking the same tea for a year daily for someone on this forum. During that experiment I was able to catch such tiny nuances about shaving and preparation that I wouldn't ever have thought of them. And I have never heard anyone noticing them. What I try to say is all the difference in the world is in small nuances here and there. But one can only notice them when he is fully concentrated. Now I am all set in shaving, I got my dzen there and now I am looking for my dzen in tea drinking.
That is some intriguing thoughts here! Nice one to introduce yourself, welcome to the forum!

I am sure tea will provide a nice and welcome distraction from the daily madness in your parts of the world... I have seen some impressive tea settings in the "trenches among candle light" (apologies if you'd wish to stay away from this obvious topic, feel free to ignore and not comment) – in any case strength and courage to your country and welcome again to this little space of tea and conversations.
supernova

Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:28 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:01 pm
supernova wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 am
I do not yet know. I have been an adept of a shaving forum for quite a long time and I have made some interesting observations. People might not understand here, but I have been shaving with 2 different blades, same razor and same brush for a year. This would be like driking the same tea for a year daily for someone on this forum. During that experiment I was able to catch such tiny nuances about shaving and preparation that I wouldn't ever have thought of them. And I have never heard anyone noticing them. What I try to say is all the difference in the world is in small nuances here and there. But one can only notice them when he is fully concentrated. Now I am all set in shaving, I got my dzen there and now I am looking for my dzen in tea drinking.
That is some intriguing thoughts here! Nice one to introduce yourself, welcome to the forum!

I am sure tea will provide a nice and welcome distraction from the daily madness in your parts of the world... I have seen some impressive tea settings in the "trenches among candle light" (apologies if you'd wish to stay away from this obvious topic, feel free to ignore and not comment) – in any case strength and courage to your country and welcome again to this little space of tea and conversations.
Many thanks for your kind greetings!
commonbrew

Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:12 pm

Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum supernova hailing from Ukraine and commonbrew via Boston. Be safe, be well, happy holidays 🌞.
Thanks and happy holidays to you as well!
Quel

Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:03 am

Hi!
I'm Raquel and I've been enjoying tea as a hobby for a few years now. I have a strong preference for oolongs and greens, though I often cold brew a black and white tea as well.
Baiyun

Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:58 pm

Hello everyone - I finally signed up because google has led me here so often over the years, and I truly appreciate the wealth of in-depth knowledge shared. So thank you.

How long have you been drinking tea?

Nearing 3 years if I define the beginning as that point in time when I received my first wild variety of considered samples from Yunnan Sourcing.

What kind of tea do you drink?

Staple teas are mostly medium aged and some younger sheng, bud heavy fresh and compressed aged whites, pan fried greens, and all sorts of oolongs. Beyond this I tend to always sample whatever catches my eye as I think tea terroir variety is enjoyable to explore and differences in processing and storage regarding aromatic and physiologically active compounds continue to surprise. A noteworthy exclusion at this point is black tea - I never once re-ordered or stocked up after sampling blacks, so now I rarely consider them when searching for tea.

How do you prepare your tea?

I use 100 to 125ml yixing pots (more on the way!) for most tea types, and a 100ml medium walled porcelain Gaiwan for BHYZ, greens and dancong. Leaf to water ratio depends on the tea, on average 5g/100ml but it ranges from about 3 to 7 depending on the tea. As for infusion time and water temperature, I used to tread lightly, but I now tend to extract strongly. I evolved my tea ware setup several times but have since settled in and concentrate on brewing with what I know.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

Working with the leaves and familiar tools in front of me to get the most enjoyable cup and appreciate the process. I think attention is an important ingredient, so I am primarily interested in dedicating distraction free time to at least some of my tea sessions to be aware of, and reactive to, each infusion, and all the subtler perceptions often drowned out in daily life. As part of this, I would like to develop further knowledge regarding how nuances in brewing technique can affect the outcome.

Second to this, I am currently thinking about commissioning my ideal pot, so I am interested in learning more about clay origin and processing, trusted sources, and artists. There is perhaps also space for an antique addition. The modern pots I have are perfectly functional, but I am looking for something special that has been crafted with high attention and ability, in a shape that combines all the attributes I now know I will value in a brewing vessel. This forum has been a great and rare yixing information resource to date.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

Prior to the initial China sourced order I mentioned above, like so many, I was unknowingly receiving some poor to terrible teas from local shops and online vendors here and there, mildly curious about what loose leaf teas had to offer. The final trigger was a '20 year' shu that was sold by such a vendor as a prized luxury but turned out so fishy that I could not brew it to anywhere near acceptable and had to do some research, which led straight into the hole of the old tea rabbit, never to emerge again. Today, the tea plant and human expertise surrounding it continues to interest me for its depth and wealth of knowledge, diversity, the effects on the body and the underlying biochemistry, as well as the pause and appreciation it so effortlessly brings to life.

What is your location?
Australia for a bit over a decade now.
Last edited by Baiyun on Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debunix

Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:50 pm

Welcome @supernova, @Quel & @Baiyun!

Looking forward to sharing a New Year of tea and fellowship with new and longtime tea friends from around the world!
pepson

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:40 am

Hello.

My name is Peter I would like to introduce myself a bit.

I used to drink shu pu erh years ago. I have started drunk tea seriously 3 years ago.

I prefer Hei Cha (Liu Bao, Liu An, Fu), but I like other types of tea too ( gyo,sencha,matcha, chinese, darjeling...)

Gong fu

I am intersted in any knowledge about tea or teaware.

What is your location?
Slovakia. (EU)
polezaivsani

Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:29 pm

@pepson, I (likely just as others here too) would be very much interested in hearing your experience with liu an. Oh, and very much welcome to the party, Peter :).
pepson

Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:31 am

polezaivsani wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:29 pm
pepson, I (likely just as others here too) would be very much interested in hearing your experience with liu an. Oh, and very much welcome to the party, Peter :).
OK, but we should move ourselves to Hei Cha topic ;-)
mushjoon

Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:30 am

About 5-10 years

Mostly oolong tea and puerh tea

I mostly use gaiwans for everything but sometimes use yixing pot for raw puerh

I wanna learn more about oolong tea

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
Tea simply tastes good! Sometimes some raw puerh has too much caffeine but I have absolutely no problems with oolong tea

What is your location?
South Korea
ragnaroek23
New user

Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:39 am

Since my teen, but 5 years of high end tea drinking

cheap blacks when I don't care, good pu'ers, greens, oolongs when I do

Gong fu brewing if applicable

tipps on how to brew better and on good teas

A birth day present by my gf got me into good teas, and the inexhaustible variety of teas is keeping me

What is your location?
Northern Europe
pedant
Admin

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:37 pm

welcome!