Introduce Yourself

Hiram
New user

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:34 am

Good day to you all, here is my first post as a new member of this forum. I am 25, heavily drawn to tea and some of its philosophies, and I am keen to know more.

How long have you been drinking tea?

I started drinking tea seriously about 4-5 years ago. But, as recently I was still a student, and now taking a break in my studies to look for a job, I never had the budget to experiment as much as I wanted to. Especially with Pu'erh.

What kind of tea do you drink?

Black tea is my favorite. Especially a good grade Quimen. I also love Pu'erh and a Sencha is never declined. I explore more types, of course, but this remains my weekly core.

How do you prepare your tea?

Almost exclusively with Kyusu-type teapots. Recently I digged out a cast-iron teapot for more occasional infusions that does not require an appointed earthen teapot. And I intend to try myself to the Gonf Fu Cha method.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

I want to know more about the different grades of tea and their variations. More "dreamishly", I guess, but I would love to know more about the manufacturing side of tea, as working in the tea buisness could quite suit my tastes.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

Most importantly, the progressive aspect there is to it. It requires times and dedication to grow yourself more aware of the subtleties of the teas you are drinking. Therefore it never ends.

What is your location?

South of France, though I would love to travel.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to exchange.
Last edited by Hiram on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debunix

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 am

Welcome to the forim. There’s lots of good information here to help you on your tea journey, and lots of people to share the journey with.
Cookie

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 am

Hey all Cookie here!

I have been drinking tea since my kid was born 4 years ago, started off with your normal breakfast blends (English/Irish), and then moved on to Chinese tea about a year and a half.

I mostly drink puer, but I love to sample different types of tea. Most recently Anhua heicha, and have some liubao in route.

'gong-fu' style mostly at work

Curious to learn more about clay, yixing or otherwise. I recently purchased a nixing pot for my fermented teas and really enjoy what its doing for them.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
To be honest when my kid was born I was a big coffee drinker but it gave me too much anxiety so I switched to tea. Currently what keeps me around is the community and the never ending things to learn about regional/economic impacts of tea. I am apart of a few tea discords that I recognize some names of people on here from!

What is your location?
Midwest, USA
pedant
Admin

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:26 am

welcome!
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:53 am

Welcome to TeaForum new members 🍃
Koveee

Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:57 am

Hi i Koveee i want to give some info about me in my introduction post)

I have been drinking tea about 3 years, i think. I started drink tea at the same time with my friend and now, after 3 years, i working in tea shop and continue drink chinese tea.

I drink all of sorts of tea and i enjoy all of them, but recently i don't drink heicha, basause of thereof this tea have wide range of types and i don't prepared to explore a lot of info about it.

Usually gongfu style, likewise in thermos( shu puer, red tea, seldom aged white tea) even in daily routine and hectic i can prepare tea in simple cup. Rarely i boil tea.

Now i studying some puer location like Puer, Lincang and other regoins of Yunnan. Meanwhile i explore either info about tea geography, tea manufacturing and so on. Also i interested to taste either new sort's and type's of tea.

Generally, i was exhausted of poor packed tea and made a decision change my taste habits. Now tea is big part of my life and i passion about it. I work in tea shop, i drink tea with my friends and i would to explore my knowledge in future.

What is your location?

I'm from Ufa, Russia.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:06 am

Welcome to TeaForum @Koveee. Would be interesting to see some images of your teashop in Ufa. You could post in Community/Travel.
elfenthee
Vendor

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:16 am

Hi,

My name is Kamar and I run a luxury / lifestyle tea business, together with Riya, who models for our instagram / website.

I will answer the questions here,

I drink loose leaf tea ever since I worked in luxury hotels.

White tea and lighter types of green tea.

100 ml water, 2 grams of tea, in a gaiwan, 20 seconds brew.

We work together with a premium tea sourcer and I receive my knowledge there. We are mostly interested in how we can create awareness on higher grade tea with people that don’t drink this type of tea yet.

We have our own brand, elfenthee (elven tea) which is a luxury brand.

We want to generate visibility in Europe and the US on higher quality tea, by coming up with a very different, unique way of presenting the tea. We visualize the drinking experience (the elegance, lightness, refinement) trough our pictures and design, packaging and shopping experience.

The main factor is the lack of awareness on high grade tea in the general public.

This is, in my opinion, due to the lack of luxury tea brands that not only focus on premium tea supply, but also on telling the public a unique story and creating a world / inspiring a lifestyle in which this tea is present. We see this in the car industry, hotel industry and of course fashion. But not yet in tea, and so tea is psychologically not yet associated with luxury in EU / US. This is something we want to change.

Our boutique will not focus on the best price / quality ration, but on the most beautiful experience, from the instagram page to when you’re drinking our tea.

We believe there are already many premium vendors selling good quality tea for a good price, but brands such as elfenthee can inspire new people to try high quality tea.

This is why I am currently so interested in tea, because I want to give this product the “image” that it deserves.

What is your location?

Netherlands
chillian12

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:09 am

Hi there, been lurking around occasionally in the forum but never really made an account - hopefully this post will be the first of many to come!

About 1 year - if you consider drinking from teabags at the local store/supermarket, then probably many years. But I only started taking tea as a serious hobby in mid-2021.

Mostly Japanese greens (sencha and some gyokuro), although I do like the occasional oolong and other Chinese teas. Honestly, as long as it tastes good I'm down to try it!

Right now I usually use a kyusu to prepare my tea, although I have been considering trying a Shiboridashi or Hohin for gyokuro - but I'm too used to a handle on my teapot.

Mainly Japanese green teas - I hope to be able to visit a Japanese tea farm when Japan does open up! Otherwise, I generally like to appreciate various green teas and the tastes that differ between the tea cultivars and growing regions in Japan.

Good question. I honestly can't remember what was the catalyst that spurred me into tea as a hobby, but I was probably browsing the Web and saw some nice yunomi and kyusus which caught my eye - the tea leaves were an afterthought from the same shop! But after taking the plunge and placing my first order of Sencha and Gyokuro, I've never really looked back.

Honestly what keeps me here is a mystery as well, I guess I just enjoy the brewing process, seeing the tea leaves swirl in the teapot and the aroma and taste of the brew. It helps me to start my day and/or unwind - life sometimes gets hectic, and the processing of brewing tea or making matcha helps to slow things down and keep things in perspective a little.

What is your location?
Currently I'm located in Singapore - which is convenient since tea shipping from Japan and China only takes a few days at most.
pedant
Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:22 am

welcome!
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:14 am

Welcome to TeaForum @chillian12 and @elfenthee 🍃
metalfan1999
New user

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53 pm

Seriously for about two years.

All kinds, but primarily Pu Erh/Hei Cha, Oolong (mid/darker - more oxidised), Black tea (most Dianhong). I also like Green (mostly Chinese and Japanese) and White teas. I rarely had yellow tea.

Gong fu style.

I Pu Erh tea alcoholic? I love Shu Pu Erh, but I am also straight edge and would like to know if there is any alcohol content in Shu Pu Erh, due to the fermentation process.

Don's videos from mei leaf got me interested in exploring tea further.

What is your location?

Germany
pedant
Admin

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:33 pm

welcome!
teatray

Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:08 pm

metalfan1999 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53 pm
I Pu Erh tea alcoholic? I love Shu Pu Erh, but I am also straight edge and would like to know if there is any alcohol content in Shu Pu Erh, due to the fermentation process.
Welcome! There's no alcohol in dry leaf tea. Any formed during processing would evaporate and it cannot be stored dry (without purposeful microencapsulation).
BennyRC
New user

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:06 pm

New to tea this year, I’ve been trying everything, I’m most interested in puerh, heicha, and aged oolong. I have recently bought several yixing pots and also use juanshui. I really don’t know what I’m doing but I love exploring all the great new flavors. I’m most interested in developing a more refined palate and the ability to understand why I might like something. I want to know more how to avoid potentially “bad tea” or tea I don’t like. 😂 I’m from North Carolina in the USA.