Introduce Yourself

LeoFox

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:36 am

jwsteeb wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:23 pm
What is your location?
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA (originally from South Africa)
Cville brings back memories of the twisted branch tea bazaar where I would work on my manuscript while sampling their tea - and waiting for my then gf, now wife, to finish her work. 2016 pre pandemic feels so long ago now.

https://teabazaar.com/
Attachments
View of one of the windows
View of one of the windows
2016-04-16 19.11.00.jpg (380.4 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
JournalerMarie

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi everyone! I live in Southern California (USA). I made my account back in March but I have yet to post...

How long have you been drinking tea?
My tea journey had its fits and starts. I started drinking tisanes like cinnamon sticks, spearmint leaves, and chamomile when I was a teenager. Occasionally I would drink green tea teabags with honey. I considered myself a tea drinker. ;) :lol: I got very very lucky in college because a group of Chinese immigrants (I say 'Chinese immigrants' because, having chatted with them often, I learned that they traveled back and forth often, considered China their home, and also to give you an idea of their ability to source quality tea, compared to someone based in the USA) set up a teashop near campus. They introduced me to loose-leaf tea in general, and to one specific tea that blew my mind with its smoothness, complexity, subtle sugarless sweetness, and the light elegant hint of smokiness (like a campfire near the beach). It brought me so much comfort.

The teahouse closed before I graduated. Over the subsequent years, I would occasionally crave this tea that felt like the height of comfort and luxury to me, re-discovered that it was named "Lapsang Souchong," and kept trying to buy it again only to be disappointed every time by cupfuls that tasted like I'd scooped ash from the barbeque bit and mixed it into hot water. When the pandemic came to my notice in winter 2019-2020, I dove head-first into my quest for Lapsang Souchong. This sent me down a rabbit-hole where I found out exactly WHY quality Lapsang Souchong is now so scarce. I mourned. But then I moved on! I had found out about "gaiwans" along the way. I read articles about tea sourcing and watched many videos by Red Blossom Tea Company and Mei Leaf, and I was very motivated to find something that could replace Lapsang Souchong in my heart.

What kind of tea do you drink?

I am in love with oolongs. Taiwanese light-roast oolongs (especially creamy Jin Xuan), Gui Fei, and Dancong Oolongs. I also love unusual white teas like white purple bud tea and old arbor white tea. Also ripe pu-erh.

How do you prepare your tea?
Either my porcelain gaiwan, or my zhuni teapot from Mud&Leaves

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

I made my account to learn more about tea vendors and yixing teapots. I bought my teapot after days/weeks reading and researching. I still find myself searching the forums here for those two topics.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

1.Tea tastes good.

2.(see my tea memoir above).

3. In all seriousness, I absolutely love the fact that tea as a product requires love and care. You (almost) cannot make good tea by mistreating the land or the workers. I also love the calming ritual of it. I dove into tea at a time when it wasn't safe to go out or explore. Tea provided a way to go on a little adventure, right there at my tea table.
Last edited by JournalerMarie on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @JournalerMarie. There are a few of us in Southern California here, specifically greater Los Angeles area. Where are you located? We get together for tastings now and then.
JournalerMarie

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:03 pm

Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum JournalerMarie. There are a few of us in Southern California here, specifically greater Los Angeles area. Where are you located? We get together for tastings now and then.
I live in the greater Los Angeles area! I would love to know more about the get-togethers. :)
Victoria
Admin

Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 am

JournalerMarie wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:03 pm
Victoria wrote:
Welcome to TeaForum JournalerMarie. There are a few of us in Southern California here, specifically greater Los Angeles area. Where are you located? We get together for tastings now and then.
I live in the greater Los Angeles area! I would love to know more about the get-togethers. :)
Will let you know next time we plan on a tasting. I’ve been away since June so not sure when the next get together will be. We have several members here at TF, some travel 1hr+ to enjoy our marathon sessions. There are a few posts under Groups, Clubs & Events like Los Angeles Tea Society Tasting 2019-08-02 and Los Angeles Tea Society. We also have a private Facebook group, but it’s pretty inactive, it’s mostly just used to make announcements.
Dogen

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:59 am

Three years ago

It depends on the season. When it is the dry season, I usually drink green teas, and dancongs . On the other hand, if it is a wet season, I drink puer'h, red, aged white, oolongs.

I prepare tea usually on gong fu, but from time to time, I get lazy, and put the leaves into a 280 ML pot, and brew it Western style.

I am into exploring Taiwanese oolongs, since I tasted Baozhongs. But before that, am into puerh

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

Many, among which is the different variety of teas.

What is your location?

Taguig, Philippines
Attachments
c3.jpg
c3.jpg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
c2.jpg
c2.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
debunix

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:26 am

Welcome!
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:06 pm

:mrgreen: Welcome to our forum.
1bud2leaves
New user

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi all,

36 years

Black teas, green, white

Loose leaf, temp & brew specific

I want to learn more about cultivating tea

My wife is training as a tea sommelier, and I’m good at growing things so wanted to explore a marriage sorts of our two skills.

What is your location?
San Jose, California , USA (originally from Ireland)
pedant
Admin

Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:07 am

welcome!
AdelinaR
New user

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Adelina and I'm definitely a tea lover!

Since I was a toddler, to be honest, but I got into 'speciality' tea about 5 years. A few years ago I decided to open a cafe (that didn't happen in the end) and that was the moment when I start reading about tea and understanding this magic world. While tea was always my drink of choice, I was mostly drinking infusions before but now I'm completely immersed in the universe of camellia sinensis.

What kind of tea do you drink? All kinds, but my favourites are the green teas (both Chinese and Japanese ones).

How do you prepare your tea? I do enjoy a gongfu session every once in a while but most of the team I have 'regular' infusions.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? Nothing specific, but I always love to find new things tea-related.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there? My taste buds? I do love good tea and it keeps me sane!

What is your location? London, UK
Victoria
Admin

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Welcome to TeaForum new members. Great to have you join us here 🍃
JournalerMarie

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:14 am

1bud2leaves wrote:
Hi all,

36 years

Black teas, green, white

Loose leaf, temp & brew specific

I want to learn more about cultivating tea

My wife is training as a tea sommelier, and I’m good at growing things so wanted to explore a marriage sorts of our two skills.

What is your location?
San Jose, California , USA (originally from Ireland)
Oh the idea of tasting tea grown and produced in California sounds awesome! I don't know enough about tea-growing to know whether we have good terroir for it, but I've been day-dreaming about tea plantations in Big Bear (a Southern California mountain range, for those who may be reading).
LeoFox

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:19 pm

JournalerMarie wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:14 am

Oh the idea of tasting tea grown and produced in California sounds awesome! I don't know enough about tea-growing to know whether we have good terroir for it, but I've been day-dreaming about tea plantations in Big Bear (a Southern California mountain range, for those who may be reading).
Not Californian tea but here is a thread about Mississippi tea

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1514

And this company makes green tea in Hawaii

https://maunakeatea.com/
debunix

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:55 pm

1bud2leaves wrote:

What is your location?
San Jose, California
Welcome!

Regarding growing tea in California, I've been gifted some samples of tea grown someplace in southern California by a farm that has a few plants that sounded like a hobby alongside the main crops. Some years back there were stories about Roy Fong of Imperial Tea Court in San Francisco buying land and planning larger scale production in California, but it seems like that is still years away from commercial production. I know we've had some posts here by people who have grown their own tea:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1577
and
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1479