Introduce Yourself

debunix

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Welcome, Shawnda! Looking forward to learning more about herbals and sharing about C sinensis teas.
Bub

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:19 pm

Hello. I'm an 81 year old retiree in Orange County California. Up until a couple years ago, the only tea I drank was Liptons. I tried some good green tea and was hooked. Now, I have two or three cups of it a day. My favorite is Dragon Well which I order direct from China.

I hope I can contribute something and learn more about tea here.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @Bub, @shawnda h and @tea.avatar, looking forward hearing from you 🍃.
ellestad
New user

Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 pm

Good evening!

I am a tea drinker who lives on the West Coast in the United States.

I started drinking tea because the coffee was so awful in the Midwest where I grew up.

I first attempting to enjoy bagged English style black teas, twinnings and the like, but never really enjoyed them.

Bounced back and forth between coffee and tea.

Eventually, in college, I discovered a jar of pearl formed green tea in the bulk bin of the local coop grocery store labelled "Gunpowder".

Intrigued, I gave it a try and found it a very enjoyable way to start my day and have more or less been drinking tea ever since.

However, it wasn't until relatively recently, after discovering Puerh tea, that a tea habit became more of a tea enthusiasm.

I drink mostly Chinese tea of all sorts. I probably drink the most of Green Tea, Raw Puerh, Oolong, and White, though also enjoy ripe puerh and black tea in the winter.

Or sometimes the summer, here in foggy San Francisco.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @ellestad, a shout out from down south 🌊
LiamW1

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 am

Good day everyone!

I'm Liam, 31. Big herbal tea lover
I'm from Chicago, Il

Looking forward for your amazing tips on tea, ha-ha
cheers
LeoFox

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:02 am

LiamW1 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 am
Good day everyone!

I'm Liam, 31. Big herbal tea lover
I'm from Chicago, Il
Welcome and please post about some of the herbal tisanes you have been enjoying in the herbal section!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16
LeoFox

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 am

Bub wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:19 pm
Hello. I'm an 81 year old retiree in Orange County California. Up until a couple years ago, the only tea I drank was Liptons. I tried some good green tea and was hooked. Now, I have two or three cups of it a day. My favorite is Dragon Well which I order direct from China.

I hope I can contribute something and learn more about tea here.
Am curious how you have been brewing your dragon well. Almost all of Lipton is in bags. Are you also brewing the dragon well in bags or infusers?
Bub

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 pm

@ LeoFox ---- My Long Jing is loose leaf. I heat 6 0z of filtered water in a measuring cup in the microwave to bring it close to 185 degrees F. I then dump in 2 g of tea and stir. I let it brew for one minute and pour it through a strainer into my cup. I save the damp leaves in a small gaiwan for a second brew of 2 minutes later in the day. I came to this procedure through some trial and error, and it works for me.
LeoFox

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 pm

Bub wrote:
@ LeoFox ---- My Long Jing is loose leaf. I heat 6 0z of filtered water in a measuring cup in the microwave to bring it close to 185 degrees F. I then dump in 2 g of tea and stir. I let it brew for one minute and pour it through a strainer into my cup. I save the damp leaves in a small gaiwan for a second brew of 2 minutes later in the day. I came to this procedure through some trial and error, and it works for me.
This is an interesting procedure! Thank you for sharing!
LiamW1

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:22 am

Bub wrote:
definitely gonna try it out!
GaoShan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 am

Hi! I'm Leafhopper from Steepster, though apparently that name has already been taken here. I do love my bug-bitten oolongs, though after realizing that Leafhopper wasn't available, I decided to name myself after the Taiwanese high mountain teas I drink most often, particularly Li Shan and Shan Lin Xi. I also like Yunnan, Fujian, and Taiwanese black teas. I'm beginning to enjoy white teas, especially the aged ones with stonefruit and berry notes. Green teas are too vegetal for me, and I haven't really tried puehr.

I brew most of my teas gongfu. For my black teas, I steep 6 grams in a 120 ml teapot at 195F for 7/10/12/15/18/20/25/30/40/50/60 seconds, etc. For my Taiwanese oolongs, it's 6 g in a 120 ml teapot at 195F for 25/20/25/30/30/30/45/60/90/120 seconds, etc. Part of my interest in joining this forum is to figure out some more flexible steeping parameters.

I started drinking tea around 2014 or 2015 when Teavana was becoming popular. The first tea I really loved was their Monkey Picked Oolong, and I still enjoy a green Anxi Tie Guan Yin (although now it's Yunnan Sourcing's Premium or Competition Grade TGY). I began ordering online right when Butiki Tea was closing, and still regret not placing an order from them.

I'm located in Toronto, Canada, which means endless shipping costs from both U.S. and international companies, especially during the pandemic. I envy anyone who doesn't have a $20 surcharge placed on their tea due to shipping!

I'd be happy to compare notes with other black and oolong tea drinkers. Thus far, my favourite vendors are Floating Leaves, Camellia Sinensis, TheTea.pl, What-Cha, and Taiwan Tea Crafts, with honourable mentions for the Eco-Cha Tea Club and Yunnan Sourcing. I'm also interested in getting into clay teapots, which I hope you can help me with.

Also, could you let me know how to add my location?
Last edited by GaoShan on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:17 am

Welcome to TeaForum @GaoShan/ LeafHopper. Looking forward to hearing from you. You can look to the upper right of page to User Control Panel to adjust settings and add web site etc.
P_K

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Greetings and salutations fellow teaheads.
I've been drinking tea since 2005.
I drink all the teas....save abominations like teabags and adulterated teas ;)
Mostly prepare my tea gongfu style......gaiwan and teapot.
Live in the midwest USA
Looking forward to shincha season.
KapnoPhilia88

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 pm

Hi, my name is Christopher,
and I've been drinking tea casually for perhaps 10 years. My mother and sister have always loved teas, typically fruity ones they buy in bags. And I enjoy tea because I find it is a delicate and complex drink, and I love the mood it affects in me. I also live in a cold climate and use tea when I am out and about to keep warm, to conversate with my friends, and also when I study and read where I spend much of my time.

I've taken up a new hobby as a pretext to know my dad better which is smoking tobacco pipe. I've been reading that tea and pipe tobacco go very well together and so this has increased my interest in teas. Up until this point, I have been drinking mostly inexpensive black teas from bags (Bigelow, Twinnings, Choice, Stash, etc.) which I brew in a steel thermos after heating on a steel stovetop kettle. However my smoking friends tell me that I am missing out on quality unless I brew loose tea.

Similar to my pipe hobby, I have no real in person mentors, so my information I must get from reading. And therefore I am here to learn about brewing techniques, sources for teas and equipment, and other information about tea. I tend to be somewhat philosophical and inquisitive, but also I don't spend much time online so you may only see me on occasion. Thank you for affording me the opportunity to learn about this nice pastime.