Introduce Yourself

pedant
Admin

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:59 pm

welcome!
Bourder

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:56 am

Hello!

I've been drinking tea my whole life, but I got serious about it only 10 months ago. I tend to gravitate to more oxidized types, like hong shui and Taiwanese hong cha. To brew tea I use 5-6 grams of leaves in a 90ml glazed gaiwan. I pour hot water from a 1l thermos, which is a good match for the amount of tea I use and my preference for lighter brews. Eventually though, I would like to get a small Yixing teapot (or 3) and a better source of hot water (I was thinking about getting a tetsubin, but they are kind of intimidating both in size and maintenance, so I'll probably settle for some quiet electric kettle). In the nearest future I would like to explore aged sheng puer. Later, probably teaware. For both it seems that this forum should be more than useful.

Greetings from Poland!
Victoria
Admin

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am

Welcome to TeaForum 🍃
polezaivsani

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:27 am

Hello Bourder!
Bourder wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:56 am
a small Yixing teapot (or 3)
Mu-a-ha-ha-ha :twisted: Sorry, I meant you came to the right place, just let's see what it'll be for you a year from now =). Also I'll be having a second trial of 90's green mark from thetea.pl which looked plenty tasty the other day.
botlofchaz

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:19 pm

Hey All, new here, although have been surfing the forum here and there for a bit now. Happy to finally introduce myself and hopefully contribute a bit.

How long have you been drinking tea?
About a year and a half.

What kind of tea do you drink?
I've been trying to dip my toes into just about everything to see what I like. I've enjoyed Taiwanese oolongs and Japanese greens, particularly senchas, and would love to continue exploring those.

How do you prepare your tea?
In a gaiwan or kyusu, gong fu style.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
Learning more about water and how it affects tea. Better understanding general parameters on brewing different types of tea. Learning how to better identify characteristics like aroma, mouthfeel, texture, etc during tasting.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
The pandemic and having extra time on my hands while my business was on hiatus was what started me down the path. Gaining a clearer understanding of how varied and big the tea world is has kept me there. I didnt know how much bigger and more interesting it was than what you can find in your average American supermarket or coffee shop until I started digging, and now I'm hooked. But also a love of ceramics, both as a collector and maker.

What is your location?
Chicago
pedant
Admin

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:48 pm

welcome! nice to see another chicago person.
botlofchaz

Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:26 am

pedant wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:48 pm
welcome! nice to see another chicago person.
Thanks @pedant. Yep, nice to see some other Chicago folks.
FishWrex
New user

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:06 am

Hello, My name is Nate and I live in Idaho USA. I have always been a Tea drinker as coffee makes me sick, so figure 50 years. Was always plain cheap Lipton tea but over the last decade or so I have expanded into Green teas and honey to eliminate sugar. Gunpowder green is the current favorite with jasmine green coming in a close second.
debunix

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:14 pm

Welcome! If you stick around here long enough, you might discover some green teas that are delicious without any sweetener at all…
Twistedoolong6

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi all,
Been into tea all my life but not specifically into the intricacies of tea, mainly used to drink herbal and teabag teas. Looking forward to experiencing more and more into the world of teas. Still trying to experiment to see what’s out there.
pedant
Admin

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:12 pm

welcome!
DigitalSparks

Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:33 am

Pretty much all my life, however, it was always traditional southern-style tea (Lipton)

I started with English Teas, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, and Irish/Scottish Breakfast and noticed all the various types when shopping for Tea, so on my next order, I got several samples from a couple of vendors ranging from Oolong, Green Tea, and various Black Teas. I seem to lean towards Japanese Green tea, however, I also have moments I want to enjoy some Chinese green. Honestly, I have times of the day or just a desire at times for a specific tea depending on my mood at the moment.

At first, I was doing western style, and I saw some videos on gongfu so I picked up a Gaiwan and a Yixing and started using those, more recently I purchased a Kyusu for my green tea (sencha and gyokuru)

I want to continue to explore all of the various types I haven't yet tried, once I find my personal favorites of a few types I will delve into the various cultivars of each type. I also want to try Matcha soon to see if I will like that style as well and of course, continue to build up my selection of various teawares.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

I have a few friends abroad who I have been in contact with for 20 years or so, from England, Asia, and Australia, and I have heard them speak of having a cuppa tea, and putting the kettle on through the years, so I decided to ask questions about their tea preferences, brewing methods and just went from there.

What is your location?

Louisiana USA
GailC

Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:55 pm

Most my life but nothing that great

Herbal, trying out puerh

Western at themoment

Tea ware and what kind of tea Iight like best

Always wondered if there is something better then crappy grocery store tea.

What is your location?
Idaho USA
pmehta7
New user

Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:28 pm

What is your location? - Sydney, Australia
How long have you been drinking tea? - Tea has been a regular part of my lifestyle since childhood. I am now 50 years young
What kind of tea do you drink? - I have been drinking black tea generally green tea occasionally. But last year discovered Matcha
green tea from Japan. And I have now made Matcha part of my diet, at least 3-4 times a week due to benefits I personally experienced.
How do you prepare your tea? - I prepare black tea with milk and sugar, but also adding cardamom, aniseed (star) and hint of
cinnamon.
For Matcha, I whisk it is hot water and add honey and lemon.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? - Interested in exploring various ways of consuming Matcha and other member's experiences with Matcha. Also other types of tea in the world.
polezaivsani

Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:46 am

This place must be becoming popular that @pmehta7 had to take the 7th variant of the name with the first six taken :lol: Just kidding. Very much welcome @DigitalSparks, @GailC adn @pmehta7!