Introduce Yourself

debunix

Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:13 am

I did get to try some tea at Tsuen tea house, and it was lovely, and I bought a bunch of tea to take home. if I recall correctly, we were joined for part of our session by someone who identified as a member of the Family that owned the shop. It's not far from Kyoto!

But tea was not high on Mom's to do list, and I never did get into the one or two tea fancy shops that I had hoped to visit in Kyoto itself.
tagheuer

Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:49 am

debunix wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:13 am
I did get to try some tea at Tsuen tea house, and it was lovely, and I bought a bunch of tea to take home. if I recall correctly, we were joined for part of our session by someone who identified as a member of the Family that owned the shop. It's not far from Kyoto!

But tea was not high on Mom's to do list, and I never did get into the one or two tea fancy shops that I had hoped to visit in Kyoto itself.
Tsuen tea house seems to be interesting. However it is quite far from where we will be staying (around Gion area), so I may not be able to visit them.

Would you care sharing the fancy tea shops that you had hoped to visit in Kyoto? I may want to get some teaware to start with too.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:47 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @tagheuer. Some Kyoto shops are mentioned in this Nippon Banzai 2017 thread in our Travel section. I can recommend you try and visit Robert Yellin‘s Yakimono Gallery in Kyoto. Besides having an incredible collection, he will be able to fill you in about all the teaware and tea shops in Kyoto.
tagheuer

Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:00 pm

Victoria wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:47 pm
Welcome to TeaForum @tagheuer. Some Kyoto shops are mentioned in this Nippon Banzai 2017 thread in our Travel section. I can recommend you try and visit Robert Yellin‘s Yakimono Gallery in Kyoto. Besides having an incredible collection, he will be able to fill you in about all the teaware and tea shops in Kyoto.
Thank you for the information, link and warm welcome.

I will try to squeeze in some time in our hectic schedule to visit the recommended places.
debunix

Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:14 am

I remember Fukujuen looked intriguing but we kept passing it when it was closed, on a main shopping street. I can't find my notes at present to remember others.
SwissYaku
New user

Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:30 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?
Only a couple of years.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Almost exclusively roasted oolongs. After trying most of the tea categories (never got my hands on yellow tea and did not delve deep into puerh or heicha), it seems like my taste buds and nose have chosen the roasted oolong: mostly traditional style dong ding and yancha. If I’m having a couple teas in a session, I might drink a hongcha or dancong.

How do you prepare your tea?
Gongfu. Used a gaiwan for the first two years or so, and only now am I getting into using teapots, after picking up a couple on a recent trip to Taiwan.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
Yixing teapots and which ones may work best with my penchant for roasted oolongs. Tetsubins and old porcelain cups. Basically, I’m interested in improving my cup of dong ding tea :) Would also like to explore aged oolongs at some point.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I can’t remember what exactly was the catalyst for my getting into tea but it was during COVID that my interest was sparked.

Many elements of tea keep my interest: the daily ritual aspect, the increased sensitivity, the teaware, the caffeine. But first and foremost is the chase for that feeling of drinking a really great tea. The lasting impression of a great dong ding is perhaps the pinnacle moment that I always want to return to and improve upon.

What is your location?
Reno, Nevada and Japan
Victoria
Admin

Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:22 pm

Welcome to the TeaForum journey @SwissYaku🍃
raven_freak
New user

Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:15 pm

27yrs

started off with black tea (most likely english breakfast), then moved to green teas (preferance towards roasted rice tea), and in the past 10 years I discovered masala chai and matcha and more recently other teas thanks for kung fu tea.

Mostly in my kitchen with boiled tap water. Nowadays I use bottled water with a gooseneck kettle.

Mainly where to buy some good quality teas online

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I visited london to see my aunt and her roommate introduced me to english tea and I've been hooked since.

What is your location?
Southern California
debunix

Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:30 pm

welcome! and happy to have you join our tea adventures
TaiguliRebel
New user

Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:27 am

- As far as I can remember.. I drunk linden, chamomile, mint 'teas' as a kid; then the only available teabags, with occasional private import loose leaf Ceylon, British or Soviet-era Georgian and Russian blends.

My daily teas are:
  • Roasted oolongs
    Georgian black teas (modern cultivars)
    Hojicha
    Pressed blacks and shu pu'erhs
    Green oolongs
    White tea
    Bilberry tea
    Mint tea
... and then basically any other teas and tisanes experimentally that come my way. At least once :-]

- gaiwan, shiboridashiat home
- grandpa-style in the office
- in a cooking pot, with my family (we decant 2-3 liters in thermo bottles for the whole day)

I'm too clumsy with tea pots - gave up on them after I dropped and broke several lids and pots...

Taiwan, Mianmar and Vietnamese teas.
Tea and food pairing.
Japanese green teas.

I enjoy the varieties and the subtleties of teamaking. And I have 'tea heroes' (Finch from Person of Interest or Uncle Iron from the Avatar, among others.)
And the good company.

What is your location?
Hungary, Europe
Victoria
Admin

Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:09 am

Welcome to TeaForum, quite a spread from Hungary, Southern California, Reno to Japan @SwissYaku @raven_freak @TaiguliRebel