Introduce Yourself

Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:10 pm

bmninada wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:27 am
Share something about yourself and your tea experience so far, so that other members will know something about you and where you are coming from.
  • How long have you been drinking tea?

For +30 years.
It all started when I was 14 or 15. I was born and brought up at Calcutta (now called Kolkata), India. My own mother's elder sister husband was a renowned tea taster and has family homes in Darjeeling. He often used to bring to our home tea of exquisite quality as my dad loved tea. Post brewing the aroma used to fill our apartment. Anyways - for next 2 years I was moved into a boarding school - Mount Hermon in Darjeeling as my parents got posted elsewhere. In Darjeeling I learned tea. Really learned and appreciated it.
I did my PhD in Russia where tea especially Indian is revered. I quickly developed a reputation for fine tea appreciation and many vendors offered me tea to evaluate.
Now - I am in US. Now I am SAD. US is horrible in finding good tea. Boutique stores, even in NY City (where I live) are 95% scams.
  • What kind of tea do you drink?
I do NOT drink Chinese or Assam or Sri Lanka. Only and truly Darjeeling.
  • How do you prepare your tea?

A bit complex. Water must be 90 to 95C. Then I aerate the water a bit and then put tea leaves into a $70 Japanese tea pot (cast iron) which I have owned for +20 years. Its prior rinsed (outside only) with hot water for 1 min to raise its own temp. Then I steep for either 3 min (if 2nd. flush and beyond) or 5 min (if 1st. flush/white). The cup I pour is also prior rinsed with hot water. Then I drink. Tea remaining in the pot goes into the soil of my potted plants when cooled down.
No sugar, milk, lemon, etc.
  • What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

Vendors selling Darji teas which are vetted. The tea must produce aroma post brew. I don't really care about the taste or after taste.
  • What is your location?
New York, NY
Welcome and thanks for sharing this very interesting story! Intriguing. Especially the use of cast iron pot for brewing. Hope you find good help here!
gacchatu

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

How long have you been drinking tea?
My whole life I suppose but seriously for 2.5 decades now.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Really all over the map but mainly vintage oolong, puerh, heichas, Taiwanese oolongs, dancong, yancha, etc. Generally oolong in the afternoon and puerh in the evening.

How do you prepare your tea?
Generally gongfucha. Been doing dry brewing more and more lately.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
The more you know the more you know you don't know so I'm perpetually trying to learn something new (this website, in addition to its predecessor, is a great resource for that).

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
Pure luck on both counts.

What is your location?
Europe and Asia
pedant
Admin

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:18 pm

welcome! :mrgreen:
gacchatu

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:26 pm

pedant wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:18 pm
welcome! :mrgreen:
Potted
New user

Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:35 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?

I used to drink yerba mate "seriously" until I thought the caffeine was influencing a health issue at the time. A year or so ago, I started drinking tisanes, herbals, then discovered some higher quality teas at Smith while traveling in the Pacific Northwest. He sells some some oolongs, blends some pu-erh, even has some loose, a cake of raw and one of ripe. I was intrigued, soon acquired a gaiwan, since the process of multiple infusions was similar to consuming verba mate. Perusing YouTube, I learned about teapots, the influence of clays and more about teas. I have also discovered the numerous tea vendors and am exploring all their offerings. I'm really in my first months of exploring teas outside the teabag and western prep. I am loving it. I'm initially drawn to the oolong and pu-erh as a focus, but I want to sample across the teas of China and Japan for now.

What kind of tea do you drink? Currently oolongs and pu-erhs. I also enjoy a good jasmine and would like a nice green. I'm so new to this level I want to taste everything.

How do you prepare your tea? Gong Fu with a gaiwan. I am acquiring a couple of teapots and studying more about them.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? Learning regions, cultivation, processing, types, nuances of brewing and vessels.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there? I enjoy foods, beverages, cultures, learning particularly intricate topics as tea culture appears to be. I find drinking find tea to be rewarding, stimulating, comforting and engaging.

What is your location? Colorado Rockies USA

It has been really productive reading through posts on tea ware and teas and pairings. Just was I was looking for. I'm looking forward to future interactions
nifi

Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:03 pm

hello!
I've browsed this forum in the past but apparently never made an account!
I'm in Latin America, been into tea for almost a decade (I think?). I mostly drink puer, but recently I've been on a yancha spree
debunix

Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:46 pm

Welcome, pull up a chair, and share what's in your cup!
PadMatt

Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:12 pm

What kind of tea do you drink?
Japanese green teas! Mostly Sencha and Bancha, sometimes Genmaicha, but I'm looking to wiggle my way to a nice Gyokuro.

How do you prepare your tea?
Currently, for my larger yunomi "mug" and daily drinking I use a large mesh-inlay for the cup itself. For my smaller cups and company I use a tetsubin-style teapot.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
I signed up here because I have a few questions in my quest of branching out into the world of kyusus, so I can do the finer teas better justice than my tetsubin can :)

What is your location?
Germany! My English is a little rough around the edges, sometimes.
debunix

Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:46 pm

Welcome!

I like to start my day with a bit of sencha or gyokuro on most days. It feels like a bright spot to get thru day going. Enjoy!
Symb0lic

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:11 pm

Hello fellow tea enthusiasts!

Recently I've noticed that I enjoy drinking tea throughout the day with my very basic electric kettle since it's very convenient for making a quick cup (or two...) and to continue with my day. I came across this forum as well as some others since I found myself wanting more of a process of brewing. Since I am very new to the tea world, my main routine with tea drinking would be to use a simple black or green bag of tea and heat up the kettle until it turns off, then let the tea steep for around 2 minutes before taking the first sip.

I tend to drink more herbal teas as they fit my pallet better but am open to many different types since it seems there is so much to explore! One specific topic I'd like to explore more in detail would be either growing and harvesting tea plants or just more detailed and precise brewing techniques. Thanks!
pedant
Admin

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:17 pm

welcome!
Sasha

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:36 am

Hello to all forum members, my name is Sasha and I have been drinking tea since I was a child (40+ years).
Admittedly, more like first aid for colds, flu and stomach problems, but sometimes I feel really good and calm after some tea.
I usually use a tea bag, but lately I've also started making teas from dried herbs that I get directly from herbalists.
The last thing I use is Smoketree tea, which I prepare myself from finely chopped pieces of Smoketree.
It is an old recipe of herbalists from southern Europe, who have been using this tea since ancient times. Its positive properties have long been known among the people in Bosnia, Serbia, Greece etc. and here is what is being said:
Smoketree tea is used as a mouthwash as a good herbal remedy for strengthening the gums and against periodontal disease.
In the people, Smoketree is used as a proven remedy for kidney diseases and urinary infections. It works particularly well on Escherichia coli.
Smoketree enjoys a great reputation and trust as a proven herbal remedy against prostate hyperplasia.
I'm thinking of starting a business making and selling that tea blend on Amazon, what do you think?
pedant
Admin

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:55 pm

welcome, @Sasha. interesting, never heard of smoketree. what's the flavor like?

also, fyi: rules#health
Sasha

Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:32 pm

It is not unusual that you have not heard of smoketree before, it is a tree that grows in southern Europe and Asia. It has a mild fruity taste and a beautiful golden color. I drink it with the addition of homemade honey (family production), although real tea lovers say it shouldn't. And like most good things from nature, you haven't heard of it because it is not in the interest of the big manufacturers of industrial drugs that we know about healthy natural products. That's why we need to exchange opinions and experiences through forums and social networks, even if we don't directly benefit from it, don't you agree?
buullon

Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:53 am

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to be here.

How long have you been drinking tea? 4-5 years now.

What kind of tea do you drink? Taiwanese and Wuyi Oolongs mainly, but I do enjoy and try to appreciate everything

How do you prepare your tea? Usually in a gaiwan or teapot, gongfu-ish. Or in a thermos if it's more relevant to what I'm doing

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? To be honest, everything. I have been exploring Yancha mainly, but seasonally, I'll learn about whatever I feel like. And also ceramic.

What is your location? Switzerland, French speaking part.

If you have any question, feel free to ask