Introduce Yourself

Victoria
Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @Youzi. We have another member @aet who is in Kunming not far from you, well relatively closer :) 🍃
Moon Rabbit

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?
As long as I can remember. Drinking tea is a usual practice in our home, just not at a terrible serious level. More like a family and friends gathering, or during my dad's mahjong sessions with his buddies.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Everything. Family enjoys Taiwanese oolong and puer. I got into Japanese teas for a decade. Now returning to exploring Chinese, Taiwanese teas, and also exploring more into Korean teas.

How do you prepare your tea?
Depends on the tea. I often brew solo since I don't really have anyone in my circle that is into tea.
I often switch around tea bowls that is versatile to brew loose leaves in, or to prep matcha.
Or I use one of my teapot or gaiwan, and decant into a guinomi. If I have guests, then I would use a server instead.
Just simple steps, nothing elaborate.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
White tea production in Japan and Korea. During my last trip, I discovered an aged white tea in South Korea, and white tea in Japan crafted like the Oriental Beauty oolong style. Interestingly another form of tea called white yellow leaf tea "Hakuyoucha" is showing up in Shizuoka and Fukuoka. I want to learn more about unique playful teas that hasn't quite hit mainstream yet.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
My interest in Japanese culture first led me to tea. I met an Omotesenke tea teacher at the Asian Art Museum. The classes itself is focused more on refining one's preparation of tea and mindfulness. Not tea knowledge. I started to pursue tea on a casual pace. But once you start opening the first page of a book, sometimes it's really hard to put it down because it just keeps getting more and more interesting. Just when you thought the story is over, you discover there is a part 2, part 3, a part 4, and so on! It's a never-ending subject with new discoveries each time. I really think it is a life-time journey for anyone that gets absorbed into this world.

What is your location?
California. But I want to say Saturn, because Sailor Saturn is my favorite Sailor Senshi.
pedant
Admin

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:28 am

welcome, @Moon Rabbit! hey, are you by chance one of the people i met at Song Tea in SF today?
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 am

Hello Moon Rabbit and welcome to our teaforum, glad you joined us. Looking forward to seeing you around.
t-curious

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum @Moon Rabbit! I’m looking forward to reading your posts.
phyllsheng

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi!

I've been mostly a lurker in here. I look forward to participating in discussions more and to getting to know everyone here better.

Used to be more active within the tea blogosphere and tea fora before kids, including on Teachat, occasionally. My username on Teachat was Phyll. After a period of inactivity (a few years), I created a new account and posted under 135F2.

My old (and inactive) Teachat avatars:

Hopefully, this is relevant as self-introduction goes, since TeaForum.org's creation was closely connected to events that occurred on Teachat.

ONTO THE HARD PART....

Since 1995 -- Chaozhou style brewing, mostly. But the learning never ends...

Mostly Chinese teas:
  • Oolongs (all kinds)
  • Pu'er, with preference towards semi-aged (> 12 yrs) and aged (> 20 yrs) sheng/raw. Getting old, I guess...young pu'er aren't as friendly to my stomach as they were 10+ years ago.
  • Hongcha (most kinds)
  • Heicha (Liubao, Liu'an, Qianliangcha,...)
  • Darjeeling (still have much to learn about)
  • Not much of a green tea drinker, I'm afraid
All I know is good water and a tetsubin are indispensable, for me personally. Everything else depends.

Open to learning any tea-related knowledge, especially the historical aspects. The more esoteric, the more interested I am!

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
The people: fellow tea lovers. Tea is never about the tea in and of itself.

What is your location?
A few miles outside of Los Angeles County.
In Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, to be more specific.
Cheers!

- Phyll
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Wow, phyll, soooooo glad you are here, really looking forward to you sharing your tea knowledge. Chip always thought highly of your tea knowledge, WELCOME :mrgreen:
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Hey, nice to see your intro @phyllsheng. We all Thank You for your very generous contributions of Wistaria Zipin and Red Mark cakes towards our 1 year Anniversary Fundraiser. I’m sure the lucky winning members are enjoying them :) Looking forward to your continuing participation at TeaForum.
t-curious

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:27 pm

Welcome to the forum @phyllsheng!
phyllsheng

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:11 am

Thank you for your kind words and warm welcome, @Jo, @Victoria and @t-curious 🙏🏻
Bok
Vendor

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:00 am

@phyllsheng Welcome (back)!

I am trying to use Chaozhou brewing myself whenever possible. Even alone, I find it has a calming effect on me to concentrate on an even brew for three cups.

I do abandon it for the use of a pitcher for more people though, otherwise not practical.

Are you wet or dry brewing CZ style? I prefer dry now, but that hinges on the design of the teapot and how well one knows its perks. Pour-stop-control is quite essential to avoid splashing water everywhere. Another layer to the challenge!

From your name I would have guessed being mostly into Sheng :)
phyllsheng

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi @Bok, Thank you!

I forego using fairness cup most of the time. For me, it depends on how far or close apart everyone is seated away from me, if I'm brewing. I use a fairness cup if I think it's inconvenient for my guests to have to stand and reach out for their cups.

Re: dry vs wet brewing, I'm not quite sure how to answer that. Do you define wet or dry brewing style by whether hot water is poured over the teapot (water sealing), or by how tea is poured into the cups, or both? (Asking in reference to your mention of pour-stop-control to avoid splashing water everywhere). If by the former (water sealing the pot), then I do wet style brewing. However, if it's by the latter (how tea is poured), then I always aim for dry brewing as best I can.

Anyway, I always "water seal" the pot after placing the lid back on, and before I pour the tea into the cups in continuous circular motion. I agree, it takes some practice to avoid splashing water, spilling tea, and also to control the rhythm, so every cup is even in both tea volume and concentration (sounds easy but not quite, I suppose :oops: ).

Btw, @Bok, should we move our discussion elsewhere? Don't wish to be kicked out and blacklisted by the @admin for spamming this thread :cry: . Not sure where, though. I'm still learning the ropes of TeaForum's discussion sections, subsections and rules.

My thanks again for your warm welcome!

Kind regards,

- Phyll
dottea
New user

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Hello!

Been lurking a while and decided I'd setup an account and join in...thanks for having me!

Maybe six months? not long enough...

All of it, but i seem to be most enamored by oolong and raw puerh (all of it).

Gong fu & then all sorts of half-hearted ways that turn out well about an eighth of the time.

The wide world of puerh.

A few pokes from folks around me at just the right time sent me careening down the rabbit hole. Haven't found a way back out of the rabbit hole yet, so here I am. :D

What is your location?

Northwest, United States
Victoria
Admin

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 pm

Welcome @dottea. If you are near Seattle you might visit Floating Leaves tea shop for some special oolong.
dottea
New user

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks, @Victoria!

Oh, yes! I LOVE Floating Leaves!!! Shiuwen and Noah are so helpful and kind!