Introduce Yourself

TracieJoy

Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:04 pm

Hello, I'm a newbie here. Just starting drinking tea for my health. I love fruit & berry teas so far! Thanks for having me! 😁
Patjulian80

Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:40 am

Thanks, @Bok — I look forward to some interesting discussions...
tolean

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:48 pm

TracieJoy wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:04 pm
Hello, I'm a newbie here. Just starting drinking tea for my health. I love fruit & berry teas so far! Thanks for having me! 😁
Welcome!!
KrazyAssKatzen

Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:37 pm

Hello, my real name is Rollin and I live in Portland, Oregon. We have some good tea available here, mainly at Fly Awake and Enthea, the latter of which is owned by the guy that really helped me dive deeply into tea and with whom I traveled to China in 2019 on a tea exploration adventure.

I've known about various kinds of Chinese tea for many, many years but didn't really get seriously into learning about it until early 2019, and then as I mentioned I went to Yunnan, Sichaun, and Guangxi, as mentioned. Had amazing adventures there and bought a lot of tea and a fair amount of teaware, without really knowing much about what to choose. I've collected quite a bit more tea since then, mostly online, but have realized that it's such a gamble buying anything without being able to either taste it (tea) or inspect it (teaware), so I've slowed down on the buying quite a bit. Also having room to store and manage has some impact.

I went to Japan at the end of 2019 and did get a chance to go to a tea shop in Kyoto and buy some green tea. It was an edifying experience, being able to compare and contrast the two different tea varieties and cultures. I like Japanese tea as well but don't drink it anywhere near as often as Chinese tea varieties.

I tend to gravitate toward shengs (young and well-aged, when I can get that), but I love all kinds and have some good examples of all the major styles (never enough though ;)). I'm currently trying to expand my oolong selection, as that's the aged tea that I have the least of. The money aspect is definitely a limiter on what I can get, particularly with puerh, but fortunately I've managed to get some good stuff anyway. I'm now finding the same is true with teapots...

I got a few teapots in Chengdu at the tea market there, and while they're all modern and possibly of dubious origin, I've have made good use of them and not found them to exhibit any indicators of being low quality. I also have one that was handmade in Xishuangbanna (Jinghong) from a person whose shop we visited and I got to meet and one that I bought online that appears to be a 90's shui ping in a grayish-green clay that was clearly handmade (and not well). I'm currently delving deep into learning about clay and other aspects of pots to get a better understanding of what to look for when hunting for vintage ones before I buy more pots. At this time that's more of a priority than obtaining more tea, but I won't pass up an opportunity for another investment in leaf if a good one shows up. I expect eventually I'll have a combination of pots that I like and that cover the bases for the different types of tea I have, after which I will focus on just adding more tea rather than collecting pots.

Recently I've started traveling to Vancouver, B.C. and patronizing a shop there called The Chinese Tea Shop. The owner Daniel is friendly and knowledgeable and has a good selection of teas and teaware at reasonable prices. That's made it easier to acquire some new things without the gambling aspect that online purchases seem to be.

So that's a little about me and where I come from. I go through phases with how involved I am with my tea interest. Right now it's more of a fall/winter thing because I'm home more often than in the warmer months.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:54 pm

Welcome! If haven't lurked here before, you'll find plenty of info to browse through on your quest.
KrazyAssKatzen wrote:
90's shui ping in a grayish-green clay that was clearly handmade (and not well).
More likely half-handmade, as was usually for the period.

Seeing stuff in person is invaluable. But still thread carefully, lots of shops are full of the same fakes you also see online ;)
KrazyAssKatzen

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:17 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:54 pm
KrazyAssKatzen wrote:
90's shui ping in a grayish-green clay that was clearly handmade (and not well).
More likely half-handmade, as was usually for the period.

Seeing stuff in person is invaluable. But still thread carefully, lots of shops are full of the same fakes you also see online ;)
Nice to meet you!

Makes sense about it being half-handmade. I bet you are correct on that. I'm currently wading through the entire "show off your teapots" thread and someone mentioned a pot warping during firing. The green one's spout is angled in relation to the body, rather than in-line with it and the handle, which makes me think something similar happened to it.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:20 pm

KrazyAssKatzen wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:17 pm
Makes sense about it being half-handmade. I bet you are correct on that. I'm currently wading through the entire "show off your teapots" thread and someone mentioned a pot warping during firing. The green one's spout is angled in relation to the body, rather than in-line with it and the handle, which makes me think something similar happened to it.
Miss-alignement happens all the time actually, sometimes from the warping, but also very often just by being sloppy work, especially the mass produced pots (which are like almost all haha). Warping in factory period is not so common I would say, the firing environment was quite controlled and optimised for mass production. Warping is more common for older teapots.
Mobok

Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:33 am

How long have you been drinking tea?
I got serious about tea in the summer of 2021, but i grew up drinking herbal teas ( you can find herbal teas everywhere here :lol: ).

What kind of tea do you drink?
At this stage i mostly drink hei cha and ripe pu-erh. I also like TGY and silver needles, which i drink sometimes.

How do you prepare your tea?
In a 120 mL gaiwan. Electric kettle filled with spring water.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
I would like to try, in the future, taiwanese oolongs, wuyi yancha and maybe delve into the scary world of sheng pu-erh.
Maybe, after i get my degree this year, I could also engage in some tea tourism (if that's a thing :lol: ).

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I stumbled, last year, upon an online tea community which had a pastebin with lots of useful information, including vendors. I got motivated enough to place my first order from China. The more i drink, the more i appreciate it. It brings me a satisfaction that no other drink has managed to do. I was able to remove soda from my diet thanks to tea :D .

What is your location?
Bucharest, Romania
pedant
Admin

Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:18 am

welcome! 8-)
decost0p

Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:22 pm

Hello!

Sorry forgot to introduce myself

I’ve been drinking tea with friends for a short time only and know very little about it. I don’t have my own tea set and usually drink tea at a friends house after a meal

I’ve tried white tea, green tea, and black tea. My favorite being jin jun mei.

However I am unable to brew - I tried but it comes off bitter. So I leave the brewing to the talented ones

I normally see my friends using gaiwan. And on special occasions, a small teapot

I’m interested in Taiwanese teapots since I’ll be visiting Taiwain for the first time

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
My bestfriend loves tea, and talks about it often. My exposure to it is limited but I enjoy the changing tastes more and the procedure of it compared to western tea. I like the idea of sharing her interest

Location?
Philippines
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:15 pm

decost0p wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:22 pm
I like the idea of sharing her interest
that is a very nice thought!
spain_gongfucha
New user

Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:42 am

Good morning all!

I introduce myself as a tea lover.
spain _gongfucha
Pleased to meet you and I hope to learn a lot from you!
debunix

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:58 am

Welcome!

Please do share what is in your cup, no matter where you are in your tea journey.
susmit
Vendor

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:35 am

Namaste everyone!

Been trying to create an account here since long, thanks to the admins for their kind help!
I am Susmit from India.

Being born in a milk chai drinking culture, I was not really into the milk based beverages so stayed away from most tea, only after a trip to Sikkim with my friends I started enjoying the loose leaf black teas from there. That also led to me starting a company focused on supplying these teas to different parts of the world, this was in 2015. I also started an online shop called Ketlee in 2018 and it has been an even more interesting journey since, discovering all kinds of unheard of teas from less popular regions in India like Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Bihar, Nilgiri and Sikkim.

Mostly Indian teas, all kinds of them. Less oxidised blacks, wild whites, fruity and floral oolongs(mostly from Nilgiri) and Nilgiri greens are my go to teas. Apart from this, like drinking some dancongs as well. Looking forward to explore more teas from outside India in the future.

Western as well as gongfu.

Discovering more hidden gems from India.

The wonderful experience of drinking a cup full of flavours is enough to keep me there.

What is your location?

Bangalore, India

Feel free to ask me anything about Indian tea and its regions!