Introduce Yourself

LeoFox

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 am

Oldster wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:45 am
Not a fan of tea. I like my Kona coffee. That said, over the last six months I have been looking into the health benefits of green tea. Couple months ago I started trying green tea, but the taste was just too awful. Someone suggested white tea, so I bought some Silver Needle stuff off eBay last month. Cannot say I love it, but I don't hate it. I can see drinking one cup a day to get the medicinal benefit, considering the taste is doable. I expect to make this a part of my daily routine.
Since you are coming from coffee - I wonder if you may prefer roasted green tea, which adds some of that roasty and smoky flavor. They are priced well:

https://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php ... cts_id=726

https://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php ... cts_id=727

https://www.o-cha.com/loose-leaf-green- ... jicha.html

https://www.postcardteas.com/site/produ ... hojicha-2/

https://www.the-tea-crane.com/product/m ... s-at-rest/

https://obubutea.com/shop/hojicha/hojicha-dark-roast/

As for how to brew this, just throw 1-2 teaspoons in your mug and fill with hot boiled water. Start drinking once it's cool enough to drink. Leaves should settle to the bottom of the mug so no need to strain them out. Once most of the mug is empty, just refill it. Should be able to refill it a few times before the flavor is gone.
Alianore

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:23 am

@Victoria
Thank you for a warm welcome!
i_viter
Artisan

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello everyone!

How long have you been drinking tea?

I’ve been into tea culture for about 5 years Although I drink tea from my early childhood, my father was used to have a daily teapot of black or green tea, served into porcelain bowls - he brought this tradition from Central Asia.

What kind of tea do you drink?

Heh - a lot of different - it depends on my mood, overall body feeling, season and weather. It’s a rather chilly mid-autumn time in my places now, so it’s mostly Puerhs and Red teas are brewed on my teatable these days.

How do you prepare your tea?

Gongfu-cha mostly (teapot of small capacity and multiple infusions served into small cups), larger teapot if it comes to sencha or chawan ofc if I prepare matcha.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

Nuances of tea production, historical background of tea culture and teaware development (actually I’ve been reading a lot of threads here for some time before decided to finally register). Since I count myself as a beginner on the path of tea, I’m here to mostly ask questions and read answers, still can’t share so much knowledge as experienced members here.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

I can say that the first and the most important factor that it’s inseparably linked with my main-time work - I’m a ceramicist and teaware maker (there’s still so much to learn in that way), so I can say that my tea experience helps me to understand teaware functional issues better and my teaware making experience helps me to enrich my appreciation of tea.

What is your location?

Kyiv region, Ukraine.
LeoFox

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:39 pm

i_viter wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:24 pm
I can say that the first and the most important factor that it’s inseparably linked with my main-time work - I’m a ceramicist and teaware maker (there’s still so much to learn in that way), so I can say that my tea experience helps me to understand teaware functional issues better and my teaware making experience helps me to enrich my appreciation of tea.

What is your location?

Kyiv region, Ukraine.
Welcome to the teaforum! Your work is much admired!

i_viter
Artisan

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:37 am

LeoFox wrote:
Oh, thank you so much! It's very pleasing!
Hope to be useful here at least from the claywork side.
noturhabibi
New user

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 pm

I have been drinking tea for 10-12 years, although I only discovered gong fu cha about 2 years ago

Mostly oolongs, particularly from Anxi, Wuyi, and Taiwan.

Gong fu style on the floor while I am waiting for my friend to finish making me a tea table:)

Currently I am very interested in the underlying philosophies and principles behind arranging the tea stage. I'm an art historian so the objects of tea and their arrangement fascinate me! If anyone knows of any good resources about this topic please share.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
My dad started drinking green tea when he was diagnosed with cancer because he read it was good for his health, and it became something we did together. Many years later I bought a used gong fu set from my campus Classifieds page on impulse -- that led to learning all about the world of gong fu cha. I now drink tea every morning as a mindfulness practice. I am also very interested in teaware and the idea of functional art meant to be used daily in concert with other objects.

What is your location?
Bloomington, Indiana, although in January I am relocating to Morocco
Victoria
Admin

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @noturhabibi and @i_viter. Crafting teaware and its arrangement during each session is an art form and so much more! Looking forward to your contributions 🍃
zirkus

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:15 am

I haven't ever seriously got into tea, as I tend to be quite obsessive and focus on one interest at a time. I have been quite focused on coffee and wine for a while. At the moment, I am looking at improving the tea that I drink, so I found this forum. I speak some Mandarin (maybe only 4000 words so still would rather English language resources at this time), so I thought this would be a good hobby to combine interests. I like the idea of tracability and finding specific regions etc of tea, rather than just being lost in a generic blend.

I have been reading a bunch on this forum without creating an account, so I thought I ought to now. I have been reading a lot about puer. I haven't yet looked properly into teaware, but I would like to find some good sources on here.

Oh, and I am in New Zealand.
ooohleg

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:49 am

LeoFox wrote:

Holy moly! pretty sure i've seen your work on instagram before. Amazing stuff.
pedant
Admin

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am

welcome, @zirkus!

@i_viter, i just spent some time admiring your work on IG. welcome :mrgreen:
Abeed_Fayaz
New user

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:36 am

Hi there,

My name is Abeed Fayaz and I'm excited to be here.

I've been drinking tea since I was young. My favourite tea is Indian tea.

KR

Abeed
StarchFTW
New user

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Hello!

- At least 5 years? I'm not sure I never actively counted lol.

- Just a bunch of oolongs.

- Depends on how I'm feeling; varies from teapot to easy gaiwan to good ol' grandpa style.

- Maybe teapots and more oolong!

- I actually don't remember, I think I just discovered that I liked oolong so I kept drinking it, especially when I get migraines a lot (and just start chugging it...)

What is your location?
- Texas, USA
jwsteeb
New user

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:23 pm

I started exploring tea about six months ago.

I enjoy Black (Laoshan Black Tea from Shandong is my favorite), Puerh (Sheng and Shou), and some Anxi Oolong teas.

Modern Gongfu style using a water bowl.

I want to learn more concerning tea storage and aging, especially for Puerh.

A friend gave me some Tieguanyin.

What is your location?
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA (originally from South Africa)
tea_setup_1.jpg
tea_setup_1.jpg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
tea_setup2.jpg
tea_setup2.jpg (181.97 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
pedant
Admin

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm

welcome!
debunix

Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:16 am

jwsteeb wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:23 pm

A friend gave me some Tieguanyin.
Oolong, the gateway drug! Glad you found us.