Introduce Yourself

apollinede
New user

Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:36 am

Hi !

I'm from France, only 20 and drink tea since 12 !

I really like tea especially jasmin, matcha, and blueberry ones. I usually make it in a tradictionnal japanese teapot.

Have a nice day :D
YSLondon

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself, I’m US based in California. I’ve started seriously drinking tea the beginning of this year. I started with longjing, ventured into some different oolongs, and worked my way into puerh. I started off using doing 1g/20ml, starting at 15s, and added 5s from thereon. I experimented with different brewing methods and I tend to go by feel now, usually preferring to go high ratio and long steeps. I’m interested in exploring more oolong and puerh mainly. The main things that got me into tea was an injury that forced me to stay indoors early this year and then the pandemic hit so this easily became a fun hobby of mine. Tea keeps me interested because it seems like I never stop learning, and since tea/teaware can vary so widely from steep to steep, batch to batch, and brewing parameters.
pedant
Admin

Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:35 pm

welcome!
Bac

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Hello! have been drinking low quality packet tea for many years, before discovering gong-fu cha in 2017, while in a trip in China.
Since then, i have been become an appasionate tea drinker and yixing collector. :D
Usually drinking longjing gongfu-cha from a gaiwan, but very eager to taste any new kind of tea i can put my hands on.
Im interested in collecting various types of clay, from various eras, to try and compare them.
cbrace

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:20 am

Welcome @Bac! Would love to see some pics of your clayware, anytime you are game. Never mind, I just saw your posts in the Yixing thread.
Last edited by cbrace on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbrace

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 am

YSLondon wrote:
usually preferring to go high ratio and long steeps.
Hi @YSLondon, welcome! You are not alone! I have never understood the fascination with ultra-short steeps; I really enjoy the full character that a long steep can bring out, provided that bitterness and astringency remains in balance.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 am

cbrace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 am
YSLondon wrote:
usually preferring to go high ratio and long steeps.
Hi YSLondon, welcome! You are not alone! I have never understood the fascination with ultra-short steeps; I really enjoy the full character that a long steep can bring out, provided that bitterness and astringency remains in balance.
There you touch the crucial point: the tea has to be good enough in quality to support long steeps and the vessel suitable for it as well in order not to over cook it.

Short steeps is also mostly used with tiny teapots which are stuffed up to tbe brim, sometimes even poking out leaves, for Yancha and Dancong in particular. The resulting quality is more intense and with body, while a long steep with lower leaf ratio might water down a few notes of tbe tea. It’s all about personal preference a d available quality
debunix

Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 am

Another great thing about small short steeps: enjoying that brilliant leaf over a longer time , hot hot hot, while not having any one steep get oxidized and unpleasant if not drunk quickly enough. It's a luxury to have the time to do it, but when you can be anchored to the tea table for awhile (completing daily notes for work, morning wake-up and catch-up online with news and tea forums), it is good.
Bac

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm

cbrace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:20 am
Welcome Bac! Would love to see some pics of your clayware, anytime you are game. Never mind, I just saw your posts in the Yixing thread.
Gonna slowly show my pots, if i show up all my fakes pots all in one go i might die of embarassment, hahahaha ;) :|
TeaFox269
New user

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Howdy! I'm new around here and I figured I'd take a moment to introduce myself!

I've been drinking tea for about three years now. I originally picked up the drink when I was looking for ways to improve my diet, my grandma (another avid fan of hot leaf juice) suggest I replace my daily sodas with tea, And it stuck! I've been doing the Gong Fu thing for about two years, I had grown bored of the world of artificially scented and flavored teas and needed something a little more compelling. I fancy yancha these days but I have always tried to keep my collection diversified, I drink a lot of green and pu erh teas as well. I'm a capital district New Yorker, which sadly hasn't done me any favors in my tea journey as I live in a tea desert (and the one store by me I do like is run by an old lady, so thanks to covid I cant chat like I used too!), unlike the people down in the city. I've recently been interested in learning how to sharpen my palate, and write better notes. Some of my other luxurious hobbies include whisky and wine tasting, cigar smoking, and cooking. I've also been trying to unlock the secrets of Daoism for the past couple of months.

I can't wait to meet you guys and discuss all sort of tea related stuff! Hopefully it'll make my days working a boring, dead end desk job a little more exciting!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm

TeaFox269 wrote:
Some of my other luxurious hobbies include whisky and wine tasting, cigar smoking, and cooking. I've also been trying to unlock the secrets of Daoism for the past couple of months.
Welcome to TeaForum @TeaFox269. Many of us are also into wine, whisky, cigars, cooking or sim... All the senses are engage; visual, tactile, gustatory, olfactory, vestibular, proprioceptive 🌞🍃
Dresden

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 am

TeaFox269 wrote:
Some of my other luxurious hobbies include whisky and wine tasting, cigar smoking, and cooking. I've also been trying to unlock the secrets of Daoism for the past couple of months.
Welcome @TeaFox269. I also am an avid whiskey collector and enjoy a fine stick now and again. And I totally understand about the job. Desk-brewers unite!
thomas.vankeulen

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:36 am

Hi everyone,

I've been drinking tea for all my life however, just over a year ago have I discovered Gong Fu style brewing during my time living in Shanghai. I made a good friend there who is an artisan. He was the one who guided me initially.
I've since come to London, where I currently reside.
I still carry a lot from my experience in Shanghai and my encounter with this particular person. Because of that I am quite fond of Sehng PuErh teas as it was his favourite and from my own individual experience I adquired a liking for Wulongs and white teas as well as Anji Bai Cha as one of my favourite greens.

I am still developing my palate as I am fairly new in the tea world. I am looking to purchase tea samples from several vendors and experiment. I have a yixing zisha clay pot. Brought it back from Shanghai, it's supposedly fairly old about 50yo. I am also exploring the effects of clay on tea and am looking to buy a Chao Zhou pot once money is more readily available.
I can see some of you have a vast experience and guidance is welcome.

Pleasure to meet you all, cheers!
pedant
Admin

Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 pm

welcome, thomas!
Victoria
Admin

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:38 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @thomas.vankeulen, nice to have you join us here.