Introduce Yourself

Victoria
Admin

Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @Griselbrand glad you found us 🍃 Where are you hailing from?
Griselbrand

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks @pedant and @Victoria! I'm from the US (Massachusetts, a bit of a tea wasteland).
russiankid
New user

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 am

Hi everyone,

I've been drinking tea for nearly all my life (my family is Russian, so I drank [bad quality] black tea since I was a child). I got into Chinese teas about 4 years ago, when I went on a trip with my girlfriend to Chinatown in San Francisco. Needless to say, I was hooked. I drink all kinds of tea, but my favorite (and my passion) is (nice, aged, sheng) pu-erh. It was this tea that actually got me into yixing, which then lead me to this forum, just recently. I am most interested in learning about yixing, as I think I am decent with my pu-erh knowledge. Although I have tried nothing too fancy (i.e. expensive), I have sampled around 50-100 different kinds of sheng pu-erh, most of which was >15-20 years old. A few of these have been exceptional. I am also, to a lesser extent, interested in yancha, though I have not tried nearly as much of it.

Whenever I drink Chinese tea, I prepare it in a gaiwan, or, if drinking sheng, then in a yixing pot I got from EOT. As I mentioned, I was lead to this forum due to random googling of yixing and found that a few of you were very knowledgeable about yixing pots and clay; it was very impressive! I therefore want to join your community to learn about yixing and to have the opportunity to purchase some antique pots that are sold on your site by what look like really knowledgeable people.

I'm located in the UK for now (doing a 1 year masters here) but am from and will be located in California near San Francisco. I am studying math/theoretical physics.

I am excited to explore tea and yixing with you all!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:30 am

Welcome to TeaForum @russiankid. We have another member in San Francisco area who is also a physicist (astrophysics cosmology) @tjkdubya 🍃
russiankid
New user

Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Cool! Thanks for the warm welcome :).
YeeOnTeaCo
Vendor

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:48 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?
Being the 3rd generation in the business, tea has been in my life for the past 35+ years.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Mainly Pu-erh, but I have a soft spot for a good aged white.

How do you prepare your tea?
Gongfu. Teapots, Gaiwan, depends on the tea

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

After migrating to a foreign land when I was young to pursue a corporate career. The calling came to come back into the tea business when I realise the great legacy my grandfather and father have built which I’m leaving behind which I’ll like to continue. So with the corporate experience which I’ve built over the years, I’ve come back to build an online presence for our humble company which has spent very little promoting itself other than through a retail store in HK.

What keeping me here is what I’ve recently discovered online in regards to “dry vs wet” storage and how opinions can be so split on which camp is better. There should just be good storage and bad storage, not dry=good and wet=bad or vice versa. The end goal for me here is that everyone's educated and enjoy some great tea :)

What is your location?
Hong Kong
pedant
Admin

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:40 pm

welcome, @YeeOnTeaCo :mrgreen:

nice to see you here
Bok
Vendor

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 pm

@YeeOnTeaCo Welcome! Always good to have more input from the horse's mouth – so to speak :mrgreen:
YeeOnTeaCo
Vendor

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:21 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 pm
YeeOnTeaCo Welcome! Always good to have more input from the horse's mouth – so to speak :mrgreen:
Thanks for the welcome everyone hope we can contribute to this great community without sounding like Mr Ed😂😉
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:24 am

Welcome to TeaForum @YeeOnTeaCo. Looking forward to your contributions 🍃
gauvinma
New user

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 pm

pedant wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:03 pm
welcome, gauvinma! :mrgreen:
gauvinma wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:18 pm
I have a package of chinese tea that I LOVE from the Beijing Hotel. I can't quite figure out what kind it is (since I can't read chinese characters) and I'm almost out. I'm trying to figure out what kind it is and how I can get more.
i was looking at what you tried posting before:
gauvinma wrote: [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OolCr ... uthuser=0/ [img]

This is one of my favorite teas, and I'm almost out. I have no idea what kind it is so I'm wondering if anyone knows so I can order more!
but that picture doesn't work for me. instead of trying to share it from google (which has authentication issues), can you just upload it here? or try imgur if you want?

and if you can show a picture of the tea itself and not just the container, that might also help.

thanks
Is there a way to upload photos on here? Whenever I click on the insert image button at the top it's just an html code to insert an image based off of a web address.
pedant
Admin

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm

gauvinma wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 pm
Is there a way to upload photos on here? Whenever I click on the insert image button at the top it's just an html code to insert an image based off of a web address.
yes, that button is for embedding external images.

to upload pics to the site, you go to attachments below where you type your post.
read here for more info: viewtopic.php?p=4472#p4472
gauvinma
New user

Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Okay, thanks.

This is the tea box. Inside there are individually vacuum packed packets of tea. I don't want to open one though since I only have 1 left.
20200929_080854.jpg
20200929_080854.jpg (218.52 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
pedant
Admin

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Sorry, I can't really tell from the package. The text is too small and the shiny foil background of the packaging has too much crazy stuff going on for my phone to OCR translate it.
DailyTX

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:55 pm

gauvinma wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm
Okay, thanks.

This is the tea box. Inside there are individually vacuum packed packets of tea. I don't want to open one though since I only have 1 left.

If this is an oolong tea then it could be TieGuanYin. The small words under 1800 has TieGuanYin labeled there. At the bottom, it has Fujian on it.