The (Western) Yixing market

Brent D

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:58 pm
Brent D wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 am
I have completely stepped away from buying vintage yixing. The prices have gotten out of control here in the USA. Very few are willing to spend over $1000 USD on a tea pot. I once bought a late 60s hongni for $275. I feel thats reasonable. I dont think I could find that today. I used to spend hours and hours researching and looking for pots. Got ripped off a few times. Tired of pulling my hair out.
You should get back into vintage yixing. You can still find great deals on pots but that usually requires knowing more than the person selling it. Flea market, vintage shops, thrift, eBay and estate sales are good for this type of buying.

The best way to significantly lower your risk of getting ripped off is to study the F1 designs your interested in and only buying things you know. I have tons of pots bookmarked on FB so that when I spot something of interest I can easily compare it to legit examples. I take a pass on anything I’m not reasonably certain is real. It’s not a 100% fool proof strategy but it’s still much better than relying on the knowledge and honesty of whoever your buying from.
Flea markets, vintage shops, thrift stores and estate sales in Wisconsin dont have yixing :)
If something ever falls in my lap, I would certainly be open to it, but it wont, and im done hunting for it.
Ive done my research. I feel pretty confident in my eye and more importantly, the authentication sources I have, but Im not paying the crazy prices reputable dealers are asking.
I have never found a zhuni pot for sale. Ever. For any price. I looked long and hard for a pre 77' hongni thats 90ml or larger. Most sellers first laugh at me and then tell me $1400. Ive found that green label Zini is decent enough, and available, but I have some and dont really need more. Its when you want to take it to the next level that you should just opt out, be rich, or plan to get on a plane.
The rabbit hole is deep. I pulled myself out of it. I wont go back in. Ill just focus on the leaf.
Last edited by Brent D on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShuShu

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 pm
Brent D wrote:
I once bought a late 60s hongni for $275. I feel thats reasonable.
Those were the days, now that price might still be possible in Asia, but not in the West,
Exactly where in Asia you can find a 60s pot for $275??? :)
Chadrinkincat

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Brent D wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Brent D wrote:
I have completely stepped away from buying vintage yixing. The prices have gotten out of control here in the USA. Very few are willing to spend over $1000 USD on a tea pot. I once bought a late 60s hongni for $275. I feel thats reasonable. I dont think I could find that today. I used to spend hours and hours researching and looking for pots. Got ripped off a few times. Tired of pulling my hair out.
You should get back into vintage yixing. You can still find great deals on pots but that usually requires knowing more than the person selling it. Flea market, vintage shops, thrift, eBay and estate sales are good for this type of buying.

The best way to significantly lower your risk of getting ripped off is to study the F1 designs your interested in and only buying things you know. I have tons of pots bookmarked on FB so that when I spot something of interest I can easily compare it to legit examples. I take a pass on anything I’m not reasonably certain is real. It’s not a 100% fool proof strategy but it’s still much better than relying on the knowledge and honesty of whoever your buying from.
Flea markets, vintage shops, thrift stores and estate sales in Wisconsin dont have yixing :)
If something ever falls in my lap, I would certainly be open to it, but it wont, and im done hunting for it.
Ive done my research. I feel pretty confident in my eye and more importantly, the authentication sources I have, but Im not paying the crazy prices reputable dealers are asking.
I have never found a zhuni pot for sale. Ever. For any price. I looked long and hard for a pre 77' hongni thats 90ml or larger. Most sellers first laugh at me and then tell me $1400. Ive found that green label Zini is decent enough, and available, but I have some and dont really need more. Its when you want to take it to the next level that you should just opt out, be rich, or plan to get on a plane.
The rabbit hole is deep. I pulled myself out of it. I wont go back in. Ill just focus on the leaf.
Have you looked here for Qing-ROC zhuni? http://zishaartgallery.com/product/扁朱泥水平壶/
Brent D

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:14 pm
Brent D wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:

Have you looked here for Qing-ROC zhuni? http://zishaartgallery.com/product/扁朱泥水平壶/
I have tried to contact them several times. They have never responded.
Chadrinkincat

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:52 pm

@Brent D

Hmm I’ve contacted them a few times w/o any prob. Maybe check your spam folder if you haven’t done that already. I’d contact them again if your serious about buying authentic zhuni.

This one is currently available still. http://zishaartgallery.com/product/老壶-3/
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:00 pm
Exactly where in Asia you can find a 60s pot for $275??? :)
Pretty much anywhere close to the Chinese diaspora. They exported so many of them during the decades. I did not say it is easy, but it’s definitely possible, a lot of reasonable transactions seem to happen in between collector friends. Random finds are rare, as more people hunt for them and shops usually know what they have. I would say the chances for a bargain are higher in the West, but the chance of stumbling upon one are slim. Also think about it, some people do make a living on selling vintage and antique pots, for them to make it viable, they need to find it at a lot lower price!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Brent D

Hmm I’ve contacted them a few times w/o any prob. Maybe check your spam folder if you haven’t done that already. I’d contact them again if your serious about buying authentic zhuni.

Shipping out of Singapore is crazy expensive though! I once contemplated buying something there and got quickly discouraged by the shipping fees! And I am just next door...
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Brent D wrote:
I have never found a zhuni pot for sale. Ever. For any price. I looked long and hard for a pre 77' hongni thats 90ml or larger. Most sellers first laugh at me and then tell me $1400.
1400$ Seems a bit steep to me... Western facing seller? Zhuni is already pricey when genuine and new, so old ones are pretty much a luxury item.
Brent D wrote:
Its when you want to take it to the next level that you should just opt out, be rich, or plan to get on a plane.
I feel you. Kind of at that crossroad now... After you have 60s vintage, the next step is huuuuge financially and possibly treacherous. Tuition fee become too massive to play around. You are probably right to focus on the leaf. Reward is immediate and verifiable by one's owns taste buds. The benefits from old teaware, are less easy to quantify.
Brent D

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Brent D

Sigh...now look what youve gone and done...
Email sent. Id imagine they want over $1000 though. Lets see if they respond.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Brent D wrote:
That is Qing Dynasty! $4000 Easy.
I would not bother with the ones they do not display the price. It means if you do not know how much this is worth, don't bother! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chadrinkincat

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 pm
Brent D wrote:
That is Qing Dynasty! $4000 Easy.
I would not bother with the ones they do not display the price. It means if you do not know how much this is worth, don't bother! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shipping to US was only $20 for me.

I think they only list prices below $1000. Price for it is prob closer to your estimate than the bare min. Not worth it imho.
Chadrinkincat

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Brent D wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Brent D

$1000 is min for unlisted prices. It’s gonna be significantly more expensive than your typical run of the mill 60-70’s pots
swordofmytriumph

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 am

What's a good list of some reputable sellers?
The only places I've heard about:
Essence of tea
Chawangshop
Tea Masters
Song Tea

What others are there that you guys trust?

Edit: I also recall hearing about the Chinese Tea Shop in Vancouver BC having yixing. Does anyone have experience with them?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:28 am

Reputable for Yixing, or for F1-vintage Yixing?

HY Chen is selling F1 as well.

Chawangshop had some trouble recently with smelly pots and not so good customer service.

Song tea only carries contemporary pots if I am not mistaken.

Emmet is selling Vintage at decent prices.
.m.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:08 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 am
Edit: I also recall hearing about the Chinese Tea Shop in Vancouver BC having yixing. Does anyone have experience with them?
Daniel Lui from the ChineseTeaShop is a reputable seller. I've ordered from him few times, it's been a bit a hit or a miss situation. He collects old Qing/ROC yixing and is likely quite knowledgeable about them, maybe less so about factory stuff, so you need to take his descriptions with a grain of salt (many of his "80's" teapots are more likely "90's" etc.). When it comes to his tea selection, from my limited experience, i'd say that you get what you pay for.