Chaozhou/Shantou

Bok
Vendor

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Pieter W. wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:51 am
Is there a museum in Chaozhou or Shantou? One of these days I make a picture of what could be a CZ pot
Please do share images! I opened this thread as I thought they deserve more recognition and info is scarce.

I am not aware of any museums in Chaozhou, with China's turbulent history in mind, I think there are much better chances seeing antiques in places of the Chinese diaspora, same as for Yixing in fact. All the more because they were less coveted than Yixing.
Pieter W.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello Bok, I got some information about Chaozhou. I'am sure we go there in October.

This was my info from a friend in Beijing:
"In Chaozhou, there is a porcelain exhibition hall, it;s for free, Monday closed.

and there is also porcelain wholesale market, in Fengxi district, around Fengxi square.

In chaozhou, you can also visit Ming old city wall, Kaiyuan old temple, ancient street, ancient residence.

Photo's I will make soon.

Regards, Pieter
Bok
Vendor

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Cheers for that! I imagine there might be other places as well in Shantou and other cities.

Maybe I get there one day! Netflix has a documentary at the moment about food from Chaozhou, looks very delicious!
Dashizi

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 am

Until now I never had the chance to use a Chaozhou pot so I was wondering if they are somewhat comparable to Taiwanese (Yingge) hongni pots. Both are usually thin walled and wheel thrown.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Dashizi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 am
Until now I never had the chance to use a Chaozhou pot so I was wondering if they are somewhat comparable to Taiwanese (Yingge) hongni pots. Both are usually thin walled and wheel thrown.
I’d say not at all comparable. Taiwanese hongni is in my opinion closer to neutral, without any specific beneficial effects on the tea.

CZ has different qualities from the very muting to non-muting, depending on firing and processing and quality of the clay itself. Has good and bad influence on a variety of teas. Seems that most modern CZ clay is not pure anymore but a blend of other things.

Wheel thrown or not, doesn’t have any relation to how it performs.
Dashizi

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:05 am

Thank you Bok.

True, earlier this year I asked a Yingge potter about the different characteristics of his beige, red and brown pots. He told me that he tries to make all of them as neutral as possible in order to accomodate different teas. Which probably is a good thing when you want to use them for lightly oxidized gaoshan. He fires his pots at 1180°C.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have expecience with the Chaozhou pots sold by YS?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:16 am

Welcome!

By the looks of it, YS sells off the rack Taobao teapots, you can even find the exact same images!

I’d say medium to low quality with in all likelihood blended clay.

For the Taiwanese pots, I do not see the point in acquiring them, personally. Looks like Yixing, but not really and without any benefits of the clay. Then I’d rather go for Taiwanese wood fired, at least those have some character and do good for the tea!
Pieter W.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 am

Hello Bok,
I still own you the photo's: they will come. But now another question. Sometimes I see Chaozhou teapots coming up in auctions. I don't have a clue how to estimate them. What is a fair price? Can you help with that? Regards, Pieter.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 am

Pieter W. wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 am
Sometimes I see Chaozhou teapots coming up in auctions. I don't have a clue how to estimate them. What is a fair price?
To be honest, I do not have a clue either... depends how old and in what condition they are. Antique ones can be as expensive as antique Yixing. from 5 to a couple of 1000$ nothing has been unheard of... Some of the rough vintage ones can cost next to nothing. I would say it is as always, fair is what you feel comfortable paying for what you are getting.

Be mindful of the workmanship, some older ones have very tiny exit holes and pour really slow. I would not buy anything I have not seen clear details of the inside.
Pieter W.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Hello Bok, thanks for your answer. I know what you mean. I like to buy antiques but I have to see it, feel it and so on. I find one in an auction (it is mentioned as 'Yixing') together with 3 other teapots (Yixing). It was fragile and graceful.
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-23 om 19.44.36.png
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-23 om 19.44.36.png (226.91 KiB) Viewed 9891 times
I will think about it. I will add a photo of it. (if it succeeds??)
Chadrinkincat

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Pieter W. wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm
Hello Bok, thanks for your answer. I know what you mean. I like to buy antiques but I have to see it, feel it and so on. I find one in an auction (it is mentioned as 'Yixing') together with 3 other teapots (Yixing). It was fragile and graceful. Schermafbeelding 2019-04-23 om 19.44.36.pngI will think about it. I will add a photo of it. (if it succeeds??)
I often see old CZ pot sell online for well under $100. Price really depends on condition and quality though as I’ve also seen a bunch sell for $200-400 from vendors that specialize in these old pots. Keep in mind that bad firing/pour is very common with these pots so don’t pay a lot unless you can easily return it.

Also this pot looks questionable as an antique to me.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Yes, I think so too. Too thick and rough for being an antique. Weird style as well.

Also lots of more than one item usually mean that each on its own is too rubbish to be sold... typically CZ is rarely advertised as such, either by mistake or because not known enough.
Chadrinkincat

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 pm
Yes, I think so too. Too thick and rough for being an antique. Weird style as well.

Also lots of more than one item usually mean that each on its own is too rubbish to be sold... typically CZ is rarely advertised as such, either by mistake or because not known enough.
Glad you agree. Handle and overall shape look recent. Clay sheen looks artificial.

ometimes those multi pot lots are a serious bargain. Hidden gem among the trash that hopefully others will dismiss. MarshalN had a post about finding an ivory handle silver pot this way.
Last edited by Chadrinkincat on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 pm

@Chadrinkincat haha yes that is a possibility.
Pieter W.

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 am

Thanks for your answers. It is setting me to think. The other teapots in this lot are not perfect either, there is even a marriage between a teapot and the lid. In the catalog, the lot (4 teapots) is estimated at €400. I keep you informed about what is going to happen. About the rubbing, can you show an example to me? Greetings from the Netherlands.