Chaozhou pots

Brent D

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am

I have been experimenting a lot with DC as of late, and these CZ pots seem all the rage. Sounds like a good time to jump on the wagon and a great excuse for new teaware.
I have decided to give them a shot, but im not really sure what one should be looking for in these pots. I understand that these are thrown, unlike yixing, Are there specific features I should be looking for? I have been looking at Imens pots, but it would seem her stock is low at the moment. Any other vendors I should look at?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 am

I found CZ pots difficult to source. They are not as popular as Yixing and the designs are often a bit odd.

Also, there seem to be differences in clay and firing, some are very muting, to the point that I wouldn’t use them with Dancong at all. Other clay like the one I got are well and high fired and do not mute at all, but have nice rounding properties. Impossible to tell by looking at them.

Would not know where to get one in the West apart from Tea habitat. Why not write to her directly? Surely she can source one to your liking?
Victoria
Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 am
I found CZ pots difficult to source. They are not as popular as Yixing and the designs are often a bit odd.

Also, there seem to be differences in clay and firing, some are very muting, to the point that I wouldn’t use them with Dancong at all. Other clay like the one I got are well and high fired and do not mute at all, but have nice rounding properties. Impossible to tell by looking at them.

Would not know where to get one in the West apart from Tea habitat. Why not write to her directly? Surely she can source one to your liking?
Imen at TeaHabitat has many pots right now. Kyarazen also posted on Instagram this week really nice CZ but done like kyusu.
Brent D

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 am

I asked if she had any that werent on the site, and she said she didnt. None of the ones she has now really grab me.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Brent D wrote:
I asked if she had any that werent on the site, and she said she didnt. None of the ones she has now really grab me.
That’s my experience as well, somehow CZ designs are a bit odd at times
OCTO

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 pm
Brent D wrote:
That’s my experience as well, somehow CZ designs are a bit odd at times
CZ pot designs are pretty basic in design. I would say they are more functional than aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers!!
Brent D

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:24 pm

I am planning on getting one of these from Tea habitat this week.
I noticed that each of her pots notes the artist that made it. Are some of the artist available through tea habitat more desirable or known for higher quality?
OCTO

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:26 pm

Personally, I don’t place much importance to who made the pot. Priority goes to workmanship and clay quality. If both are good and falls within my budget range, I’ll buy without giving it too much thought.

😂😂
debunix

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:26 pm

I did not get a maker's name when I bought mine from her; I like it better when I can give credit to someone, but my anonymous little pot makes terrific Dan Cong all the same.