Accelerated seasoning success

Atlas

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:28 am

Victoria wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:41 pm
bleach won’t penetrate porous surfaces, only the water penetrates, while chlorine stays on surface
Unless there's something very weird and specific going on related to pore size of clay I'm not aware of, this is not the case.
.m.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 am

Atlas wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:28 am
Victoria wrote:
bleach won’t penetrate porous surfaces, only the water penetrates, while chlorine stays on surface
Unless there's something very weird and specific going on related to pore size of clay I'm not aware of, this is not the case.
The use of bleach is usually discouraged when dealing with mold isues, for the very reason Victoria stated. It is deceiving because it discolours the mold, but from my own experience it doesn't deal with the mold issue, which quickly reappear (ok, i'm not talking about teapots here, for teapots i think boiling water will likely sanitize them).
Here's a widely cited quote from the internet (which i can't verify):
"Mold's hypae (root structures) actually grow into wood and drywall like roots. The hyphae are not killed by bleach because bleach's ion structure prevents chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood. It stays on the outside surface, whereas mold has protected enzyme roots growing inside the porous construction materials. When you spray porous surface molds with bleach, the water part of the solution soaks into the wood while the bleach chemical sits atop the surface, gasses off, and thus only partially kills the surface layer of mold while the water penetration of the building materials foster further mildew and mold growth."
EDIT: On second thought, there is a big difference between submerging a teapot into bleach for a prolonged period, and spraying bleach on a wall. It's not the same situation.
Atlas

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 pm

.m. wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 am
"Mold's hypae (root structures) actually grow into wood and drywall like roots. The hyphae are not killed by bleach because bleach's ion structure prevents chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood. It stays on the outside surface, whereas mold has protected enzyme roots growing inside the porous construction materials. When you spray porous surface molds with bleach, the water part of the solution soaks into the wood while the bleach chemical sits atop the surface, gasses off, and thus only partially kills the surface layer of mold while the water penetration of the building materials foster further mildew and mold growth."
Huh, TIL. My apologies, Victoria.

While it is a different, situation, it's still reasonable to suggest that it might not work for the same reason.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Apologies not needed Atlas. And yes this is the reason I don’t use chlorine.
tingjunkie

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Victoria wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:22 pm
I feel like there was a thread back on TeaChat where another chemical was mentioned as well in having great success with cleaning Yixing, but I'm too lazy to go search. :lol:
I updated that information and posted it here, Awakening & Resetting Unglazed Ceramics / Yixing from Storage, Discoloration, Staining & Mold. I prefer using Sodium Percarbonate especially if mold is suspected as bleach won’t penetrate porous surfaces, only the water penetrates, while chlorine stays on surface, leaving mold's roots alive and eventual having mold return. Percarbonate by-products are non-toxic and environmentally safe.
That's the one! Thanks!