Two Hongnis (a skill session)

Kale

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Two Hongnis. Very similar in every detail. Both around 75ml. Both made in the early/late 90s, outside the factory. Both have been in use for a couple of years and developed a decent patina. Both sound high fired.
Yet, one is coarser and darker (the one on the left) and the other is smoother and brighter (the one on the right).
What is the source of the difference? the fire? the quality of the clay? the iron content?
And, most importantly, what does this tell us when we want to appreciate teach pot? can one be said to be better than the other in terms of quality?
I'm posting this because I think that this is an interesting lesson/test case that many here will be interested in hearing and learning :geek: :D :geek:

For some reason the imgur link doesn't work so here is the link.

http://www.imgur.com/gallery/Kk0NtKZ

steanze
Vendor

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Looks like for the one on the left the clay was passed through a sieve with a larger mesh
Kale

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 am

steanze wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 pm
Looks like for the one on the left the clay was passed through a sieve with a larger mesh
Thanks.
Is this what also makes it darker? (see the two last pictures)
also, does it mean anything about its quality?
steanze
Vendor

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:57 am

Kale wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 am
Thanks.
Is this what also makes it darker? (see the two last pictures)
also, does it mean anything about its quality?
You are welcome! It's not what makes it darker. For hongni, I'd prefer the finer one, but it's a matter of personal preference: the very same clay could be sieved at different mesh sizes.