New flat friend

Bok
Vendor

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 am

For comparison, I put a few of the chops I found next to each other, all the same name as on my pot, which is the one on the left. Almost looks like an evolution over time of the characters, more and more free.
Attachments
Seal composite.jpg
Seal composite.jpg (321.72 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Bok
Vendor

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 am

Could also be like this pot from EoT: https://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/cl ... 130ml.html
Factory1 1987-1992, but with the personal chop of the artist. Would not be too far off from what the seller told me.

Also from EoT:
Besides their standard productions, Yixing Factory 1 also produced pots signed by each artist. These are known as "Xiao MIng Jia" pots. They have higher standard of workmanship, use better clay and are more sought after.
So it might fall into that category of 小名家 xiao ming jia pots.

Another thing I was wondering in that context is the use of single hole filters: How long were those in regular use? Excluding the fakes afterwards.
steanze
Vendor

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 am

Bok wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 am
Could also be like this pot from EoT: https://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/cl ... 130ml.html
Factory1 1987-1992, but with the personal chop of the artist. Would not be too far off from what the seller told me.

Also from EoT:
Besides their standard productions, Yixing Factory 1 also produced pots signed by each artist. These are known as "Xiao MIng Jia" pots. They have higher standard of workmanship, use better clay and are more sought after.
So it might fall into that category of 小名家 xiao ming jia pots.

Another thing I was wondering in that context is the use of single hole filters: How long were those in regular use? Excluding the fakes afterwards.
Yes, that was my thought for saying late 80s to 90s.
For hand-making, even when they're made by very skilled masters, handmade pots usually show some minor signs of asymmetry. In particular, look at the roundness of the base and of the underside of the lid. If those are perfect circles, and there are no other minor asymmetries on the pot, it's more likely that the pot was made with assistance of a mold.

Single hole pots were in regular use in the 1990s, and there are several also later. I would not rely on that to establish the period.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 pm

steanze wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 am

Yes, that was my thought for saying late 80s to 90s.
For hand-making, even when they're made by very skilled masters, handmade pots usually show some minor signs of asymmetry. In particular, look at the roundness of the base and of the underside of the lid. If those are perfect circles, and there are no other minor asymmetries on the pot, it's more likely that the pot was made with assistance of a mold.

Single hole pots were in regular use in the 1990s, and there are several also later. I would not rely on that to establish the period.
Thanks!

In that case yes, the pot is really nearly perfect. Almost no imperfections. The attention to detail is high, even the often neglected inner spouthole and the invisible inward-pointing edge are smoothed out!
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am

Bok wrote:
For comparison, I put a few of the chops I found next to each other, all the same name as on my pot, which is the one on the left. Almost looks like an evolution over time of the characters, more and more free.
This is pretty cool. As China opened up, so did her seal!
Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:24 am

tealifehk wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am
Bok wrote:
This is pretty cool. As China opened up, so did her seal!
Yes! If it is the same person that is…
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:51 pm

So, we are waiting. Have you used the pot yet? You are not the type of guy just to lock it in a closet. cheers
Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:51 pm
So, we are waiting. Have you used the pot yet? You are not the type of guy just to lock it in a closet. cheers
Haha, you are perfectly right!

It has been in constant use for the last few days. It performs pretty well with any tea I threw at ot so far, Taiwanese green and roasted oolong. As mentioned before, the flat shape still works although I am brewing rolled oolongs. Thinly spread out the leaves still have more than enough space to expand and the comfortably large opening helps as well.

Took a bit to get used to handling it, as it still is an extreme shape and has to be held differently.

The design is quite ingenious, you can hold it at the end at an 90° angle and it fully empties due to the curve of the spout. Most other pots I have need an extra few degrees and a sometimes akward angle. It is also considered bad tea manners to present the bottom side of the pot to the audience. Which is fine by me as I usually do not have one and couldn’t care less about to the taste of the tea non-essential mannierisms :mrgreen:

So in summary, it performs as well as it looks! Going to be used for thirstier tea sessions and for larger parties.