Is Yixing more porous than CZ??

steanze
Vendor

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Trusar wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 pm

what is the typical surface texture for zini? smooth?
I posted a few examples of zini earlier in this thread that can be helpful. Texture can vary but I have not seen many with a texture like yours. It is likely because it is a modern type of clay that is not usually found in older pots. The link to the website was useful, but there are many pots there and I could not find yours or tell which kind of clay it was. If you could link a pot on that website that is made of the same clay that would be great.
Trusar

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:32 am

steanze wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 pm
Trusar wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 pm

what is the typical surface texture for zini? smooth?
I posted a few examples of zini earlier in this thread that can be helpful. Texture can vary but I have not seen many with a texture like yours. It is likely because it is a modern type of clay that is not usually found in older pots. The link to the website was useful, but there are many pots there and I could not find yours or tell which kind of clay it was. If you could link a pot on that website that is made of the same clay that would be great.
my pot is no longer on the website. they took it down some time. But it was advertised as zini, made by Mrs Shen. They always use the same few artists to make all their pots, maybe they trust them or have build up a relationship or something.
Trusar

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:06 pm

they say a pot that is porous shaves off some of the top notes of finer, higher teas.
as time goes by and you keep using the teapot and seasoning it, will the teapot stop shaving the top notes off of the tea?
OCTO

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:57 am

Trusar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:06 pm
they say a pot that is porous shaves off some of the top notes of finer, higher teas.
as time goes by and you keep using the teapot and seasoning it, will the teapot stop shaving the top notes off of the tea?
Yes. That is true. The question in hand is how often will you want to feed your pot with high quality tea? But once your pot is adequately fed... no other pots will be able to match it.

That’s one of the reasons why we prefer ZhuNi or Porcelain for high quality tea. Pockets not deep enough to feed our pots with high quality tea.

😁😁😁
Trusar

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm

OCTO wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:57 am
Yes. That is true. The question in hand is how often will you want to feed your pot with high quality tea? But once your pot is adequately fed... no other pots will be able to match it.

That’s one of the reasons why we prefer ZhuNi or Porcelain for high quality tea. Pockets not deep enough to feed our pots with high quality tea.

😁😁😁
the texture is a lot thicker with the CZ hongni. i prefer it. so as i keep using it the pores will get filled with tea oils and it will stop shaving off the top notes and will give taste back. i guess. which means it should be better than porcelain, china and maybe zhunni. 😁😁😁
Last edited by Victoria on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: corrected quotes
OCTO

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Trusar wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm
the texture is a lot thicker with the CZ hongni. i prefer it. so as i keep using it the pores will get filled with tea oils and it will stop shaving off the top notes and will give taste back. i guess. which means it should be better than porcelain, china and maybe zhunni. 😁😁😁
Theoretically, that’s spot on! Have fun!!!

In the spirit of sharing and learning together.... Do start a new thread to share with us your journey and observations. It will prove very helpful for newbies who are learning from this forum.

Happy journey and God speed!!

Cheers!!