Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:19 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 pm
Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:38 pm
I do not buy from Western facing shops.
I somewhat disagree with the claim that western facing shops have all the junk while Asian facing shops have all the treasures.
I was not saying that because I think they sell junk, it is simply because I live in Asia and have access to much better price/value so no need to buy elsewhere :D
Chadrinkincat

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:24 pm

This is an example of high fired CZ clay from ROC period. Orange on the inside and red on outside.
Attachments
C39B1D54-7269-4E36-BB84-CD43E966D466.jpeg
C39B1D54-7269-4E36-BB84-CD43E966D466.jpeg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
BB4DF69B-6F5D-42A4-90A6-EF3D551D2C45.jpeg
BB4DF69B-6F5D-42A4-90A6-EF3D551D2C45.jpeg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
This is an example of high fired CZ clay from ROC period. Orange on the inside and red on outside.
Nice pot! Now for the million dollar question: Muting/porous or not?

Attached my previously mentioned modern CZ pot.
Attachments
09F2EB3E-CEE7-475D-ACC0-97BA7FA2C411.jpeg
09F2EB3E-CEE7-475D-ACC0-97BA7FA2C411.jpeg (186.83 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
Chadrinkincat

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Nice pot! Now for the million dollar question: Muting/porous or not?

Attached my previously mentioned modern CZ pot.
Thanks. Zero porousity......well for now atleast since it needs spout drilled out more before I can use it.

Nice rustic wabi sabi look to your pot
Baisao

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 pm
Thanks. Zero porousity......well for now atleast since it needs spout drilled out more before I can use it.
I’m inclined to offer to buy if from you at a profit so that it doesn’t get drilled-out.
Baisao

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 pm

steanze wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 pm
Baisao wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:47 pm

I have viral bronchitis at the moment so I am not going to put much effort in to this.
Sorry to hear this, feel better soon!!
Thank you, steanze. Apparently its the virus of the season. Best of health to you!
Trusar

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:15 pm
Trusar wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 pm
Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Relying on one's person and on one teapot per kind of clay to make a general statement seems very general too me... :mrgreen:

Rest assured, a lot of people who are discussing here, do usually own a fair lot of tea pots of all kinds of clay :mrgreen:
If you stick around longer you will know who they are and that some have a very good reputation among Western tea geeks and do indeed possess a lot of knowledge about tea and teaware.

I would suggest to keep an open mind, experiment and compare more, before generalising.
No one here said that CZ is always more porous than XYZ. If you read carefully, we are saying that it always depends and there a lot of clays and exceptions of the rule, which is why statements like that of Meileaf are misleading and incorrect. Only people with access to a whole range of antique, vintage, modern pots of all these kinds of clay can make an assertive claim of that kind.
what about CZ clay in general, forget about the vintage stuff.
the vintage stuff is gone, you cant base your statements about the CZ hongni which is not available now like the person who asked the question , for people like me, who purchase CZ hongni now and tel them about the past.

Is the clay used in modern CZ hongni the same as the clay used in the past? or is it they just process it differently, please don't tel me that because your pot is older they manufacturing techniques and the clay is better (or is it?). mei leaf and yunnan both offer the same type of CZ clay!!! and if you type in CZ hongni on google all you find is yunnan sourcing, even mei leaf dont have any more left, forget he old pots. Maybe as i said the clay is not powder down fine as the ones now are. what about the ones made now? if the same clay if powdered down finer and fired at a hire temp, it would have less porosity and be smoother to the touch. is this not correct? from what I can see this is how they seem be nower days.
please send the details to a web site that offers porous CZ hongni teapots as people in general like to claim.
FYI there are other sources for CZ pots besides those 2 shops.

This shop has been selling CZ pots far longer than both those shops.
http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... &cPath=2_5

https://www.bitterleafteas.com/?s=Chaoz ... pe=product

http://www.postcardteas.com/site/produc ... u-teapots/

And you can also still easily find vintage CZ pots on eBay and at flea markets/vintage shops in the US.
i just noticed that the following shop:

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=263

has the same teapot by the same maker: zhang lin hao
Last edited by Trusar on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trusar

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Trusar wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:15 pm
Trusar wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 pm

what about CZ clay in general, forget about the vintage stuff.
the vintage stuff is gone, you cant base your statements about the CZ hongni which is not available now like the person who asked the question , for people like me, who purchase CZ hongni now and tel them about the past.

Is the clay used in modern CZ hongni the same as the clay used in the past? or is it they just process it differently, please don't tel me that because your pot is older they manufacturing techniques and the clay is better (or is it?). mei leaf and yunnan both offer the same type of CZ clay!!! and if you type in CZ hongni on google all you find is yunnan sourcing, even mei leaf dont have any more left, forget he old pots. Maybe as i said the clay is not powder down fine as the ones now are. what about the ones made now? if the same clay if powdered down finer and fired at a hire temp, it would have less porosity and be smoother to the touch. is this not correct? from what I can see this is how they seem be nower days.
please send the details to a web site that offers porous CZ hongni teapots as people in general like to claim.
FYI there are other sources for CZ pots besides those 2 shops.

This shop has been selling CZ pots far longer than both those shops.
http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... &cPath=2_5

https://www.bitterleafteas.com/?s=Chaoz ... pe=product

http://www.postcardteas.com/site/produc ... u-teapots/

And you can also still easily find vintage CZ pots on eBay and at flea markets/vintage shops in the US.
OK i did not realise Post card teas is in london.
I can go there at some point.
The CZ pots they have look smooth to the touch like mine is, I have not tried it with sheng pu erh so far, so i may be wrong to say it may not mute the astringent notes, but it definitely does not mute any notes from the bai mu dan, so i doubt it will mute the astringent notes in the sheng, but i might try is.

if postcard teas CZ clay pots are considered good quality then my one most likely is too. Looking at their pots they don't look very muting, which goes against what many people and web sites quote. I will ask them for their opinion, if you say they are experiences with CZ pots. ill take mine their.

i will go there if they are open on sunday.

thanks for the advise on where to go.
oh yea another thing: postcard teas says their pots are made by yanming zhang, and YS says theirs are made by zhang lin hao, are they in the same family, I heard there yanming only had one son and his name isnt lin hao. google doesn't say much
.m.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Trusar wrote:
if postcard teas CZ clay pots are considered good quality then my one most likely is too. Looking at their pots they don't look very muting, which goes against what many people and web sites quote. I will ask them for their opinion, if you say they are experiences with CZ pots. ill take mine their.
There is no way to say if a pot is muting by looking at a photo of its shiny exterior. Is there?
Trusar wrote:
oh yea another thing: postcard teas says their pots are made by yanming zhang, and YS says theirs are made by zhang lin hao, are they in the same family, I heard there yanming only had one son and his name isnt lin hao. google doesn't say much
There are over 80 millions people named Zhang, and a good chance that some of them make teapots :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_(surname)
steanze
Vendor

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:59 pm

.m. wrote:

There is no way to say if a pot is muting by looking at a photo of its shiny exterior. Is there?
Nope. Unless it's porcelain or a clearly recognizable clay type fired in a clearly recognizable way (i.e. 1960 factory 1 hongni fired in a gas kiln).

@Trusar does this pot look muting?
JozanIII.jpg
JozanIII.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 6553 times
Baisao

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 pm

steanze wrote:
.m. wrote:

Nope. Unless it's porcelain or a clearly recognizable clay type fired in a clearly recognizable way (i.e. 1960 factory 1 hongni fired in a gas kiln).

Trusar does this pot look muting?

JozanIII.jpg

That clay on that pot, for the record, is silky smooth to the touch. Mine are almost slippery.
Trusar

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:15 pm

steanze wrote:
.m. wrote:

JozanIII.jpg
would be easier if i could feel the pot.
but it looks a little more muting then my CZ hongni.
I will go to Postcard teas myself on friday when im off.
steanze said even if a pot is very smooth it can still be muting/porous.
when i first held and touched my CZ, i knew it wouldnt mute, and i was right.
just have to keep buying more pots and seeing for myself. but im not sure if im buying another CZ hongni any time soon
Last edited by Trusar on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trusar

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Baisao wrote:
steanze wrote:
.m. wrote:

JozanIII.jpg

That clay on that pot, for the record, is silky smooth to the touch. Mine are almost slippery.
but it looks slightly grainy/granular in the picture?
so is it muting?
Trusar

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 pm

steanze wrote:
.m. wrote:

JozanIII.jpg
can you send a bigger picture?
Trusar

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Baisao wrote:
steanze wrote:
.m. wrote:

JozanIII.jpg

what about a porcelain or china pot? you can tell by feeling that that it is not muting or porous, whys that?

when you say silky smooth, it seems to be like the CZ hongni i have, but i would describe mine as sattin smooth, it has not granular feel at all, does the above one have granular feel (with silky feel too), because it looks like it is slightly more grainy than my CZ hongni?