Is Yixing more porous than CZ??

Trusar

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:19 pm

OCTO wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 pm
The fun has just begun... History is repeating itself!

https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 3c0da8b4a0

We are catching up very soon. It stopped at 12 pages about 8 years ago... very informative.

Happy reading.

Cheers!!
yea iregistered with that forum as well. may i should also go and start a heated discussion their too?

i got my Yixing hongni. it has a single whole filter, but it keeps getting clogged?
i guess its not suppose to do that. maybe i should brew it with oolong?
Bok
Vendor

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 pm

@trusar that forum is pretty much abandoned, most of the active members there created this forum here.

If it keeps getting clogged you might need to work on how you brew. How you pour, how the leafs are arranged in the pot.

For example, with open leafs the first pour will need to be slow in order not to amass all the leafs around the spout hole, let them extend first so they are more likely to stay in their spot.
Trusar

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 pm

ok so

i went to post card teas and i went back to mei leaf.

And i found that post card teas had 3 teapots made by yanming himself. 2 of them were for staff to brew tea for themselves and one was for sale.
the one on sales was going for £20,000.

i phoned them first, and then i went there. over the phone the gentleman told me CZ hongni is less porous and muting becasue it has a glaze over the top. So i went to the shop in person. That particular gentleman was not there, so i asked the guys there about CZ hongni and porosity and muting. they showed me 2 teapot made by yanming, one was gifted to them by yanming himself and the other i cant remember. they were both smooth and had a gloss to the outside. The guys there said it didnt mute and it didnt seem porous at all. they were all orange in colour.

some of Mei leafs CZ Hongni teapots were made my master wu and some were non master pots. they were also smooth to the touch but not glossy. Don from mei leaf also seems to think that CZ hongni (or al least modern CZ hongni) is not very poros.

My teapot from yunnan sourcing is smooth to the touch but not glossy and it does not mute the teas. Becasue it doesnt mute i believe the clay doesn't absorb the flavours of the tea, and so it is not porous.

then there is the following article about master wu adding sand to certain caly mixes to increase porosity. i briefly skim read it, but it seems very informative:

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2009/08/

I think the porosity of the clay must depend on the firing as people have said and also the clay mix. nowadays they must be firing the clay at higher temperatures.

and finaly mi Zini pot. one of the guys at post card teas said he knew the owners of the wan ling teahouse (award wining teahouse) personally and the stuff id very trustworthy. Someone said the pot i call zini looks like hongni, but i think it is zini.
the following article shows clearly what zhini purple clay should look like and mine fits perfectly:

http://www.thechineseteashop.com/manufacture.html
Trusar

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Bok wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 pm
@trusar that forum is pretty much abandoned, most of the active members there created this forum here.

If it keeps getting clogged you might need to work on how you brew. How you pour, how the leafs are arranged in the pot.

For example, with open leafs the first pour will need to be slow in order not to amass all the leafs around the spout hole, let them extend first so they are more likely to stay in their spot.
oh ok. thanks
steanze
Vendor

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Trusar wrote:

the following article shows clearly what zhini purple clay should look like and mine fits perfectly:

I am not going to talk about the rest since enough has been said :) but the pot in the picture for zini at the link you shared is a late Qing zini that is totally different from the clay of your pot... with more practice and experience, you will see the difference
Trusar

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:24 pm

steanze wrote:
Trusar wrote:

I am not going to talk about the rest since enough has been said :) but the pot in the picture for zini at the link you shared is a late Qing zini that is totally different from the clay of your pot... with more practice and experience, you will see the difference
i poured teas wash over the top so the colour and texture to mine has changed, but im sure it was like that before i did. it is defiantly not yixing hongni.
zhini is what it was labelled as and im sure its the closest so far. i did take some pics of it but the camera lighted the colour more than it actually was. also when i got the pot, it wasn't as light as it was pictured on the web site, it was darker. when i type zini on google, i see brown pots. mine was maroon red ( i think) when i got it. what clay do you think mine is (i still think its zini, but would help anyway just in case)?
steanze
Vendor

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Trusar wrote:
i poured teas wash over the top so the colour and texture to mine has changed, but im sure it was like that before i did. it is defiantly not yixing hongni.
zhini is what it was labelled as and im sure its the closest so far. i did take some pics of it but the camera lighted the colour more than it actually was. also when i got the pot, it wasn't as light as it was pictured on the web site, it was darker. when i type zini on google, i see brown pots. mine was maroon red ( i think) when i got it. what clay do you think mine is (i still think its zini, but would help anyway just in case)?
I would need to handle the pot to be sure what clay it is - lighting makes it hard to judge on pictures. The texture is very different from the Qing zini in the link, the Qing zini is smoother. This does not necessarily mean that your pot is not zini, but the two are totally different clays. Not all zini is the same.

Yes, zini tends to be brown, ranging from dark brown to reddish. Yours is on the reddish end, which is why it is not obvious from the pictures what clay it is. The surface texture of your pot is not typical for zini, but with modern pots everything is possible.
Trusar

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Trusar wrote:
steanze wrote:
Trusar wrote:

or actually maybe it was light brown when i got it, and now its darker brown. i got some pics on instagram of when i first got it, ill try and put them up if i can
steanze
Vendor

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Trusar wrote:
or actually maybe it was light brown when i got it, and now its darker brown. i got some pics on instagram of when i first got it, ill try and put them up if i can
Definitely possible. A picture in shaded daylight is best to evaluate clay type - on a somewhat cloudy day or on a bright day behind filtering curtains.
Baisao

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:46 pm

2BB5D125-814C-4E05-8D94-4195C2FD37F6.jpeg
2BB5D125-814C-4E05-8D94-4195C2FD37F6.jpeg (376.91 KiB) Viewed 6868 times
Bok
Vendor

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 am

@Baisao Excellent! :lol:
Trusar

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:23 pm

steanze wrote:
Trusar wrote:
Definitely possible. A picture in shaded daylight is best to evaluate clay type - on a somewhat cloudy day or on a bright day behind filtering curtains.
ok thanks, but the colour has change since when ifirst got it due to the tea was h being pured over the exterior.
which clay do you think it is?

i dont think its hongni, its is and always was too dark. it is also textured compare to my EOT hongni.
what else can it be. maybe its mixed zini.

please check out the website if you have time:

wanlingteahouse.com and then teapots
Trusar

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 pm

steanze wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:50 pm

I would need to handle the pot to be sure what clay it is - lighting makes it hard to judge on pictures. The texture is very different from the Qing zini in the link, the Qing zini is smoother. This does not necessarily mean that your pot is not zini, but the two are totally different clays. Not all zini is the same.

Yes, zini tends to be brown, ranging from dark brown to reddish. Yours is on the reddish end, which is why it is not obvious from the pictures what clay it is. The surface texture of your pot is not typical for zini, but with modern pots everything is possible.
what is the typical surface texture for zini? smooth?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Trusar wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 pm
what is the typical surface texture for zini? smooth?
One thing you need to realise with Yixing is, that there is not typical this or typical that. Any clay can and has been processed, fired and finished differently. Different periods of clay with the same name can actually be very different clay and look differently.

Zini, can be smooth, coarse, shiny, mat, dark brown, brown, light brown, greyish etc. ...

Generally speaking, if it is brownish, it is probably Zini.
If it is reddish-orangeish, it is probably Hongni(includes Zhuni).
If it is yellowish, it is probably Duanni.

All others colours are blends of the former, and/or plus additives.

:mrgreen:

CZ clay comes as far as I am aware in red/orangey.
Last edited by Bok on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Trusar wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:23 pm
steanze wrote:
Trusar wrote:
ok thanks, but the colour has change since when ifirst got it due to the tea was h being pured over the exterior.
which clay do you think it is?

i dont think its hongni, its is and always was too dark. it is also textured compare to my EOT hongni.
what else can it be. maybe its mixed zini.

please check out the website if you have time:

wanlingteahouse.com and then teapots
It’s a modern pot so it could literally be made of just about anything. Likely a mix of clay and/or additives.