Biandeng, opinions

tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:26 am

A few knife gouges on the body and circular marks on the base and body. The other one I saw had a really sloppy knob and miscentered airhole!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 am

Brewing now almost exclusively with this pot for a while and it is performing very well! No issues with any tea (TW greener, roasted, aged oolongs and black teas). Even being flatter, I have not found it detrimental with rolled leaves oolongs.

I much prefer this shape to the Ikea-mug of Yixing – the standard shuping :mrgreen:
Finally getting a (literal) grip on the for me unusually small handle. Took me a few akward weeks to figure out the best way to hold it…

Also, this pot has been confirmed by knowledgeable parties as a mid-80ies Neiwailinhong, so Zini, which is coated inside out with Hongni.
The best part is that a lovely patina is already starting to develop!
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:08 pm

I love that clay and have lots of it in shuiping/houhin form from F1! I find it a bit muting for HMO but for roastier stuff, aged oolongs, etc, it's great. The houhins are amazing for aged pu and really help mute storage flavor!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 pm

tealifehk wrote:
I love that clay and have lots of it in shuiping/houhin form from F1! I find it a bit muting for HMO but for roastier stuff, aged oolongs, etc, it's great. The houhins are amazing for aged pu and really help mute storage flavor!
Really!?

Mine is the opposite, no muting at all, and everything becomes very fragrant more like with porcelain. The thin layer of hongni effectively prevents any muting from the Zini. You sure you don’t confuse it with Neiziwaihong?
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 pm
tealifehk wrote:
Really!?

Mine is the opposite, no muting at all, and everything becomes very fragrant more like with porcelain. The thin layer of hongni effectively prevents any muting from the Zini. You sure you don’t confuse it with Neiziwaihong?
I thought they were the same thing (with different names)! All of mine are also zini, coated inside and out with hongni. Could all come down to wall thickness though. I find nzwh to fit in between zini and hongni as far as muting, but the houhins really mute a lot. I love them for aged pu!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm

No not the same thing. Nzwh is only coated outside. Nwlh is coated wholly. As hongni is not muting I don’t see how Zini could come through and mute a tea. So probably wall thickness as you said.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:20 am

funny thing as we were talking about craftsmanship, on the early teapots FB group there was one Biandeng recently, from the 60ies. Craftsmanship on this one did look worse than mine! Better clay probably, but the lid-knop was not done very well.

Interestingly it had a similar knife mark on the handle, but on both sides. It seems to me that this might have been a working step when attaching the handle.
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm
No not the same thing. Nzwh is only coated outside. Nwlh is coated wholly. As hongni is not muting I don’t see how Zini could come through and mute a tea. So probably wall thickness as you said.
I have never seen a F1 hongni-coated zini pot that isn't coated all over. I could be wrong, but I have a bunch and none of them fit that description. We call the all-over hongni (zini under) pots nzwh.

The hongni layer isn't that thick IMO. You can clearly tell nzwh is still zini. IMO it performs much more like zini than hongni!
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am

tealifehk wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 am
I have never seen a F1 hongni-coated zini pot that isn't coated all over. I could be wrong, but I have a bunch and none of them fit that description. We call the all-over hongni (zini under) pots nzwh.

The hongni layer isn't that thick IMO. You can clearly tell nzwh is still zini. IMO it performs much more like zini than hongni!
For me it is the opposite, I have only seen the other way round so far :D

If you check HY Chens offerings, most of his green label are NZWH. Where you also clearly see the colour difference between inside and outside. My pot is red all over, so I did not even recognise what it was in the beginning.

The firing will do its part to basically seal whatever property Zini had. It is like a glaze. Normal glazing is also very thin when applied, after firing it is a different story...

Emmet on his site used yet another name for what I was told is Neiwailinhong, can not recall what it was. Maybe one of the local experts will chip in...
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am

@tealifehk Do you have pics of yours?
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am
@tealifehk Do you have pics of yours?
Will take you some! :) I just looked at his pots and I see that they are indeed only coated on the outside. Thanks, it looks like there is indeed a difference. First time I've heard of neiwailinhong! I too thought my neiwailinhong pots were hongni until I took a closer look!
Bok
Vendor

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:42 am

tealifehk wrote:
First time I've heard of neiwailinhong! I too thought my neiwailinhong pots were hongni until I took a closer look!
Not sure myself, but it seems to me neiwailinhong is rarer than nzwh?
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:42 am
tealifehk wrote:
First time I've heard of neiwailinhong! I too thought my neiwailinhong pots were hongni until I took a closer look!
Not sure myself, but it seems to me neiwailinhong is rarer than nzwh?
Could be, but who knows? I didn't even know it existed until today :lol: I thought we were all talking about pots that were coated inside out!
Emmett
Vendor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:43 am

Neiwa lin Jiang... Coated in and out..
Neiziweihong... Coated on the outside only
Emmett
Vendor

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:44 am

That's how it was said to me from the early teapots group