Matching Clay to Brewing Time

ShuShu

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:35 pm

I just came across an old but interesting discussion on TeaChat about the appropriate vessel/clay/shape/size for yancha.
Steanze there commented that shorter brew time probably has less impact on tea and maybe this is why he got better results using hongni rather than zini.
So, I thought that maybe this is a very important factor that we often overlook. With Yancha I use a lot of leaf (1g/15ml) and very short brewing time (start with 5 seconds each). Perhaps I’m “wrong” to brew it in Zini and would get more notes using a hongni?
What do you think?

LINK: https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=19278

I also wonder where are all those members who participated in that discussion (Chrl42, Teaism, etc)
Last edited by ShuShu on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Can you update by posting a link to thread you are referring to? Also, feel free to invite any members you notice are missing.
ShuShu

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 pm
Can you update by posting a link to thread you are referring to? Also, feel free to invite any members you notice are missing.
Updated. Thanks Victoria.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:29 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:35 pm
I just came across an old but interesting discussion on TeaChat about the appropriate vessel/clay/shape/size for yancha.
Steanze there commented that shorter brew time probably has less impact on tea and maybe this is why he got better results using hongni rather than zini.
So, I thought that maybe this is a very important factor that we often overlook. With Yancha I use a lot of leaf (1g/15ml) and very short brewing time (start with 5 seconds each). Perhaps I’m “wrong” to brew it in Zini and would get more notes using a hongni?
What do you think?

LINK: https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=19278

I also wonder where are all those members who participated in that discussion (Chrl42, Teaism, etc)
What I meant is that if the brewing time is very short, it might not make as much difference whether the clay is zini or zhuni. But it still makes some difference. I do think that you'd get more notes using a hongni. If the tea is overroasted though, you might get more roast flavor too. If it's a very good yancha, hongni will do a bit better in my view. But I agree with Teaism that having a fast pour is very important, even more than the clay for yancha.
ShuShu

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm

steanze wrote:
But I agree with Teaism that having a fast pour is very important, even more than the clay for yancha.
I didn't really get this part. I mean, can't you adjust according to the way your pot pours?
How does your biandeng pours? it's with multiple holes, right? do you find it suitable for short brews?
Chadrinkincat

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 pm

There is a more flexibility with steep times with porous pots than less porous ones if you use a lot of leaf.

A less porous hong ni pot requires a fast pour or lower leaf ratio if it slow.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm
steanze wrote:
But I agree with Teaism that having a fast pour is very important, even more than the clay for yancha.
I didn't really get this part. I mean, can't you adjust according to the way your pot pours?
How does your biandeng pours? it's with multiple holes, right? do you find it suitable for short brews?
I meant that if the pot does not pour fast enough, you can't make good yancha with it. If the pot is zini, you can still make good yancha, although hongni/zhuni is better.
d.manuk

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am

Is a fast pour time 5 seconds?
So if the ideal steep time for yancha is 5 seconds, are you saying 5 seconds steep + 5 second pour?
steanze
Vendor

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am
Is a fast pour time 5 seconds?
So if the ideal steep time for yancha is 5 seconds, are you saying 5 seconds steep + 5 second pour?
5 seconds is fast enough. The optimal infusion time varies depending on the particular yancha you're brewing, your water, and how full is the pot. I suggest to start with this: fill the pot to 3/4 of the volume. Pour boiling water in, wait about 2 seconds, pour water out. Then adjust from there. Try to make it as dense as possible without making it overly bitter. Try to push the boundaries. When you do that, you will learn about the particular yancha you're making: you will find out how much you can afford to push it and how intense it can get before turning too bitter or dominated entirely by the charcoal flavor, and that will tell you about the quality of the tea at your hands.