Help me match my pots with some tea

Teachronicles

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I have these three yixing pots that I've yet to use and would like to hear you guys thoughts on what type of tea you think would go well with each one

Edit: thank you ragamuffin I forgot to add I drink mostly oolong and puer. Aged and young sheng. Green and roasted oolongs. I'll also have a black, green or white from time to time.

Edit2: to get even more specific, I just got into Dan congs and have liked everything I've had so far. I have some yancha, but haven't drunk much of it yet. Most of the time I'm drinking Taiwanese or roasted oolongs.
Attachments
80ml shuiping
80ml shuiping
IMG_20180112_115028.jpg (163.24 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
100ml
100ml
IMG_20180112_115046.jpg (151.55 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
~150ml shuiping
~150ml shuiping
IMG_20180116_163245.jpg (258.88 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
Last edited by Teachronicles on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 pm

What kinds of tea do you drink the most? I'm not an expert, but from what I understand it's best to try different teas out with the pots and see which ones brew best in which pot.

Also where did you get your pots?
Teachronicles

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Ragamuffin wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 pm
What kinds of tea do you drink the most? I'm not an expert, but from what I understand it's best to try different teas out with the pots and see which ones brew best in which pot.

Also where did you get your pots?
I added what teas i drink to the original post. Also I got the two smaller ones from hauying Chen and the large from Essence of tea.
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 am

Teachronicles wrote:
I have these three yixing pots that I've yet to use and would like to hear you guys thoughts on what type of tea you think would go well with each one

Edit: thank you ragamuffin I forgot to add I drink mostly oolong and puer. Aged and young sheng. Green and roasted oolongs. I'll also have a black, green or white from time to time.

Edit2: to get even more specific, I just got into Dan congs and have liked everything I've had so far. I have some yancha, but haven't drunk much of it yet. Most of the time I'm drinking Taiwanese or roasted oolongs.
I would do:
1) roasted oolong (the pot is smaller, I usually brew roasted oolongs denser)
2) aged sheng (I usually use pots of intermediate size for it)
3) green oolongs. But make sure that the walls aren't thick, I can't tell from the picture.

All these pots are hongni. I think you'd like to have a zini or qingshuini pot for aged sheng that has some storage flavors, or when you want to brew it thick.

Dancong, young sheng and green tea go in a thin porcelain gaiwan :) unless the green tea is Japanese. It's quite difficult to find a pot that outperforms a porcelain gaiwan with dancongs.
Last edited by steanze on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tealifehk
Vendor

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am

I'd go: medium roast Wuyicha/TGY for the smallest (not Taiwanese TGY though). Dancong and black tea would also work well in it.
high mountain oolong in the middle-sized ones, or balled oolongs with larger sessions, but nothing very high roast. This pot could also be used for dry storage sheng
Big one is a definite pu erh pot; young or dry storage sheng IMO. Nothing that would benefit from muting.
Teachronicles

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

steanze wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:

I would do:
3) green oolongs. But make sure that the walls aren't thick, I can't tell from the picture.

All these pots are hongni. I think you'd like to have a zini or qingshuini pot for aged sheng that has some storage flavors, or when you want to brew it thick.

Dancong, young sheng and green tea go in a thin porcelain gaiwan :) unless the green tea is Japanese. It's quite difficult to find a pot that outperforms a porcelain gaiwan with dancongs.
Hey what would you consider thick? It seems similar to the other two in terms of thickness, maybe a little thinner. I'm gna do some comparisons with a gaiwan with each pot, and I'll try everyone's suggestions so thank you.
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Hey what would you consider thick? It seems similar to the other two in terms of thickness, maybe a little thinner. I'm gna do some comparisons with a gaiwan with each pot, and I'll try everyone's suggestions so thank you.
If you take a picture of the opening without the lid I can tell you :)
Teachronicles

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

steanze wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm
Teachronicles wrote:
If you take a picture of the opening without the lid I can tell you :)
I'm at work will this work?
Attachments
IMG_20180116_163302.jpg
IMG_20180116_163302.jpg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
IMG_20180116_163251.jpg
IMG_20180116_163251.jpg (161.9 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:03 pm

looks thin enough :)
Shane

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Is Hongni a good clay for Shu Puer?
Teachronicles

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm

What do you guys think of these new pots posted by bitterleaf teas?

https://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/tea ... ong-teapot

https://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/tea ... nwa-teapot

Do you think money is better spent on older pots? Possibly with better clay? How likely do you think the second pot clay is from the original mine?

I'm tempted to get the the second pot, but I wonder if I should buy a f1 white or green sticker instead, for less money no less.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:36 am

Teachronicles wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm
What do you guys think of these new pots posted by bitterleaf teas?

https://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/tea ... ong-teapot

https://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/tea ... nwa-teapot

Do you think money is better spent on older pots? Possibly with better clay? How likely do you think the second pot clay is from the original mine?

I'm tempted to get the the second pot, but I wonder if I should buy a f1 white or green sticker instead, for less money no less.
F1 pots are better imo. Hard to tell clay quality of the bitterleaf pots, the pics look fancy but don't really show the texture of the clay clearly.
ShuShu

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:47 pm

steanze wrote:

Steanze, how do you brew roasted oolong? (in terms of leaf/water/time)?
Teachronicles

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 am

Steanze and tealife, which one of these pots do you think would be good for aged oolong? What do you look for in a pot for aged oolong? In terms of how it affects the tea and physical characteristics?
Teachronicles

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 pm

steanze wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:

I would do:

Steanze and tealife, which one of these pots do you think would be good for aged oolong? What do you look for in a pot for aged oolong? In terms of how it affects the tea and physical characteristics?