Facebook vendor: Chemical Free Purple Clay Exchange

teatray

Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:43 pm

zhuni - 朱泥
fully handmade - 全手工

I got this one: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 522886877/

Beautiful to look at and touch, but nevertheless bad pour--as far as this yixing newbie is concerned--not as bad as the 90s shuiping I just got, but worse than I expected from a modern pot at the price (the luni is a better pourer). My other pot in the same(ish) size & shape (autumn water) produces a nice, calm, laminar stream; this one's spout requires a very abrupt angle change to avoid dripping, doesn't ever produce a quiet stream, and always leaks from the lid (even though it was ground to fit and does indeed seem to fit very well apart from the leakage). Don't want to comment too much on clay taste as I got a cold/COVID/whatever & my senses aren't good atm. I will say that I prefer this zhuni over the luni (same as Leo's) from the same seller, but have only tested the zhuni with oolongs.
Baisao

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:29 am

teatray wrote:
zhuni - 朱泥
fully handmade - 全手工

Beautiful to look at and touch, but nevertheless bad pour--as far as this yixing newbie is concerned--not as bad as the 90s shuiping I just got, but worse than I expected from a modern pot at the price (the luni is a better pourer). My other pot in the same(ish) size & shape (autumn water) produces a nice, calm, laminar stream; this one's spout requires a very abrupt angle change to avoid dripping, doesn't ever produce a quiet stream, and always leaks from the lid (even though it was ground to fit and does indeed seem to fit very well apart from the leakage). Don't want to comment too much on clay taste as I got a cold/COVID/whatever & my senses aren't good atm. I will say that I prefer this zhuni over the luni (same as Leo's) from the same seller, but have only tested the zhuni with oolongs.
Ball filter?
teatray

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:26 am

Baisao wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:29 am
teatray wrote:
zhuni - 朱泥
fully handmade - 全手工

Ball filter?
Holes on wall, beautifully made, too (the pot with the better pour I was comparing it to has ball, but also a cheap trick: a larger hole on the underside of the ball :-).
Attachments
holes.JPEG
holes.JPEG (125.83 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
d.manuk

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:39 am

teatray wrote:
zhuni - 朱泥
fully handmade - 全手工

Is this facebook website where all his products are sold?
Was hoping to see the 100ml zhuni Leo posted here but it's not on the sales page:

Realistically I'm looking at this:
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... _code=null
LeoFox

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:45 am

Shine Magical wrote:
teatray wrote:
zhuni - 朱泥
fully handmade - 全手工

Is this facebook website where all his products are sold?
Was hoping to see the 100ml zhuni Leo posted here but it's not on the sales page:

Realistically I'm looking at this:
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... _code=null
Just message them and tell them what you want
teatray

Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:45 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Was hoping to see the 100ml zhuni Leo posted here
This one? https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 941523920/
LeoFox

Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:56 am

teatray wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:45 am
Shine Magical wrote:
Was hoping to see the 100ml zhuni Leo posted here
This one? https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 941523920/
That's the one I have and it pours smooth with no lid leak
d.manuk

Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:51 am

Is it considered rude to ask to see a video of the water pouring from the teapot from the seller before purchasing
Last edited by d.manuk on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeoFox

Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:05 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Is it considered rude to ask to see a video of the water pouring from the teapot
Video here - note it is 140 ml

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrThf3Xs ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Baisao

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:41 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:05 am
Shine Magical wrote:
Is it considered rude to ask to see a video of the water pouring from the teapot
Video here - note it is 140 ml

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrThf3Xs ... MyMTA2M2Y=
@teatray, I don’t see anything wrong with that pour from LeoFox’s copy. I’d be interested in seeing how you pour.
teatray

Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:24 am

d.manuk wrote:
Is it considered rude to ask to see a video of the water pouring from the teapot from the seller before purchasing
Don't think so--above a certain price range, I wouldn't hesitate to ask, at least (definitely for the handmade zhunis).
teatray

Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:33 am

Baisao wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:41 pm
teatray, I don’t see anything wrong with that pour from LeoFox’s copy. I’d be interested in seeing how you pour.
My zhuni is a different shape (same clay). Here is a clip of it and two comparison pots. I think pouring vids should be interpreted with caution:
  • they don't recreate actual use with hot water, leaves, no camrera, etc.
  • a single clip says little about the probablities of various issues happening
  • the poster *knows* what they want to show, because they know how the pot works for them; if the first take doesn't show it, they might take another--not in an attempt to mislead, but to more accurately summarize/portray their probabilistic intepretation of the issues they experience (or not) with the pot--but that, ofc, adds a lot of subjectivity
  • there's more going on with various features of the pour than appears on first sight: the user takes previous experience with the pot into account and some things that may appear odd are actually deliberate (e.g. the narrow, unenergetic arcof the zhuni is simply how it pours best)

For this test, I set the following rules beforehand:

1. only 1 attempt (1 take) per pot
2. do my best not to drip, taking into account my expeirence with the pot

Three videos (switch with arrows; turn on sounds if you wish):

... Turns out I managed not to drip, despite losing some depth perception while holding the phone (I don't usually clank the pots hard on the tray). But that doesn't tell you the whole story. If I break my rule and allow one more take, I can show how two drops form at the lid when pouring with the zhuni:

... This time I carefully filled the pot almost to the brim and dried the outside before closing to make sure I am filming lid leakage not stray drops. In actual use such drops sometimes happen to the best of pots due to various chance factors (leaves stuck between lid & pot, stray drops reflected from leaves when pouring, etc., etc.). The question is how often and how bothersome exactly it is, and that is difficult to convey in a single vid. What I can say (instead of show) is that this pot doesn't allow absent-mindedness when pouring, doesn't allow a satisfying pouring arc, and if you want a normal pour w/o spout drippage, it pretty much always loses drops from the lid (landing in the cup, if I'm careful, or outside, if I'm not).

[BTW, at the start of the pour with the black kyusu it appears as if I'm breaking my rule #2, trying to drip the pot, but that's just a bit of a flex: it doesn't let you drip, it lets you reduce the flow to however slow you like (it takes a lot of concentration to actually make it drip). This flex comes at a cost: it's a Setsudo pot, but that cost is also comparable to the zhuni at 9,999NTD.]
Last edited by teatray on Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baiyun

Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:42 am

The more questions the better.

If customers would keep asking questions, we may see a day when pots are advertised with more details to begin with.

There is no reason for the purchaser of a modern pot not to have any questions answered (mine, processing, construction, artist, firing, pour and speed,...).

Otherwise the vendor is too far from the source and there would be better places to buy.
LeoFox

Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:40 am

FYI when I took my video it was also just one take- I was tempted to do another one because background had my computer and I spilled a little from my pitcher but I didn't.

Also, this was only the 3rd time I ever poured from the pot as I've not even really used it. But it seems fine in my case.

As for pour speed - I don't know who decided it was such a critical factor - but it really doesn't matter. The new people will probably scoff at this but folks with old pots generally let the pot teach the user how to use the pot, not the other way around. Each pot has its own way. That said, this modern zhuni I have seems to pour just fine.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:15 am

The two most commonly overstated things for tea pots: pour speed and lid fit, lol

If you know what you’re doing they don’t matter at all.