Yixing teapot from Tong Ni clay

Konrud

Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:15 am

I've received an offer from teasenz.com about their new teapots.

One of them looked lovely, but the clay type was strange to me.
They say it's made out of Tong Ni clay.

Teasenz claim that this composition is quite similar to Duan Ni.
I couldn't find anything about this clay.

Again, they claim the following:
"Tong Ni's composition is quite similar Duan Ni. There are also makers who still call it Duan Ni. In fact every batch of clay will be slightly different, because it's a natural resource. This maker, gives it a different name, because the Duan Ni comes out of the oven in a 'copper like' colour, so he calls it 'Tong Ni' meaning literally copper clay."

Here is the offer

Option 5: 170ml size, tong ni clay. By: Mr. Pan

Description (translated): Traditional and classic shape, plump and full, small and cute in style. The texture is simple, and the body of the pot is painted with a peacock picture, which is elegant and luxurious.
What you get: teapot in box, certification, catalog of artist

Price: 568 USD

Image 1:
first image
first image
11931662372639_.pic.jpg (145.97 KiB) Viewed 1858 times

Image 2:

second image
second image
11941662372641_.pic.jpg (149.95 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what that might be?

Is it an actual type of clay, or some blend? 

Would you suggest buying this teapot?

P.S.
Let me know if you are interested in seeing the whole list
Balthazar

Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:13 am

Hanzi is 铜泥, probably the same thing as 古铜泥 (Gutongni, which you'll get more hits on (the "gu" or "ancient" here seems to refer to the look rather than suggesting the clay is "aged" or anything like that)).

At that price point there are so many other pots I'd rather have bought, so unless there is something special about this one that has you particularly enchanted I'd pass.
Konrud

Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:17 am

Balthazar wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:13 am
At that price point there are so many other pots I'd rather have bought
Thank you for your reply.

Could you suggest any websites to look at the teapots, that you'd rather have bought instead?
Balthazar

Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:17 am

It's a bit difficult without knowing more about what you are looking for. Are you looking for a specific aesthetic? Or just something that brews a good cup? In other words, what are your priorities/requirements? Size and price range? What kinds of teas will you be brewing in it? Etc, etc. Will be easier to suggest where to look with this kind of info.

Edit: if you were interested in knowing what I, specifically, would rather have bought for myself in that price range, then I'd probably say one of the LQER pots from TWL (Teas we like).
Konrud

Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:58 am

Balthazar wrote:
Are you looking for a specific aesthetic? Or just something that brews a good cup?
Hmm, that's a good one.
I haven't thought much about it, to be frank.
But yes I believe I do want it to look good.

I don't see myself using Antique teapots. It's probably a lack of understanding, but nonetheless.
Thus, I'd say I prefer modern teapots.
Balthazar wrote:
Size and price range? What kinds of teas will you be brewing in it?
As for size, I'd say 150ml - 200ml

Price range, well I'm not sure. I need to see it first.

As for teas, I'd say it's mostly raw/ripe puers (hey cha), hongcha, oolongs (I believe I need 2 teapots then, one for hey cha and the other for oolongs)

Not sure if this helps much, but I've tried.
.m.

Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:27 am

Don't buy that pot, you'd be getting screwed.
Balthazar

Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 am

@Konrud: I'd suggest starting a new thread to get some input on vendors. I'm not that into modern pots myself, so I don't know who offers good quality for the money, though I've heard good things about Essence of Tea's "Fang Xia" series. Also the pots commissioned by TWL (though I don't think they offer any in the size you're interested in). Yinchen is also frequently mentioned. But again, well worth making a post about to get better input on where to look.

I get the impression that you're fairly new to yixing pots though, and I'd caution you to read a bit on these forums and elsewhere before splurging $500+ on some "mystery clay" teapot from a vendor who might not have all that good a rep when it comes to yixing pots. There are lots of those around :)
Konrud

Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:10 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Konrud: I'd suggest starting a new thread to get some input on vendors. I'm not that into modern pots myself, so I don't know who offers good quality for the money, though I've heard good things about Essence of Tea's "Fang Xia" series. Also the pots commissioned by TWL (though I don't think they offer any in the size you're interested in). Yinchen is also frequently mentioned. But again, well worth making a post about to get better input on where to look.
Yes, you are probably right.
I'll look into those you've mentioned, though.
Thank you.

Balthazar wrote:
I get the impression that you're fairly new to yixing pots though, and I'd caution you to read a bit on these forums and elsewhere before splurging $500+ on some "mystery clay" teapot from a vendor who might not have all that good a rep when it comes to yixing pots. There are lots of those around :)
I'm new.
And yes, thank you for the advice, you're right I should just take my time and learn it a bit more carefully.
tolean

Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:19 am

I am also not a big expert. Still i would recommend you to try some teapots <100$. There are good ones to make a proper cup of tea for this money. This way you will understand better what shape,size, clay, tea you like. Me, at the beginning liked pots +-200ml, then i started to like ,, egoistic,, teapots ( less then 90ml). Then i found nixyng clay and i liked it... If you already passed this faze you can surely go for smth special/expensive. If not, I think you can enjoy the journey and the tea with cool ,, simplier,, teapots. Good luck in finding your teapot!!
Konrud

Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:55 am

tolean wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:19 am
I am also not a big expert. Still i would recommend you to try some teapots <100$. There are good ones to make a proper cup of tea for this money. This way you will understand better what shape,size, clay, tea you like. Me, at the beginning liked pots +-200ml, then i started to like ,, egoistic,, teapots ( less then 90ml). Then i found nixyng clay and i liked it... If you already passed this faze you can surely go for smth special/expensive. If not, I think you can enjoy the journey and the tea with cool ,, simplier,, teapots. Good luck in finding your teapot!!
Thank you, for your reply.
Yes, I think you're probably right.
I shouldn't rush although I'd love to.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:32 am

Best advice in the beginning is: look and learn more and buy less.