Gaiwan

klepto

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:25 pm

Noonie wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 pm
Capoutchou wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

I handle the gaiwan with the saucer, I take the whole thing in my hand, thumb on the edges of the knob, not touching the inside of the hollow part, and my fingers on the saucer (like my last picture) and no burning garanteed, caluses or not :)
That’s how I handle one as well. Have for a decade and never had a mis-handle, burn or any discomfort
The Youtube channel called Tea House Ghost guy calls it the hamburger method and it works great :P
Last edited by Victoria on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: added link to topic
Noonie

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 pm

klepto wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Capoutchou wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

I handle the gaiwan with the saucer, I take the whole thing in my hand, thumb on the edges of the knob, not touching the inside of the hollow part, and my fingers on the saucer (like my last picture) and no burning garanteed, caluses or not :)
That’s how I handle one as well. Have for a decade and never had a mis-handle, burn or any discomfort
The Youtube channel called Tea House Ghost guy calls it the hamburger method and it works great :P
I’ve watched all his videos, well done and he has a great energy
klepto

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Noonie wrote:
klepto wrote:
Noonie wrote:

I learned a lot from him, his channel is excellent. I really should start supporting his patreon page.
thommes

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:48 am

klepto wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Noonie wrote:
klepto wrote:

I learned a lot from him, his channel is excellent. I really should start supporting his patreon page.
same. i wish he'd do more
polezaivsani

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:59 am

Finally got to have a couple most basic plain white porcelain gaiwans. Initially i was more after a 100ml version and it did function alright for the expectations i had, nothing to mention. Along with it i also got couple of 60ml variants. At first i was appalled by how tiny they seemed, even thought that it couldn't handle the bigger leaf varieties. Was wrong on all accounts :).

One aspect i haven't heard mentioned yet - due to their size, they spot the tightest feedback loop. There is little matter to accumulate heat or flavor and in that regard they are perfect vessels for experimenting and learning. That's a two faced coin as usual - they are rather brittle. These lovely flimsy pieces are now my go to daily tools.
klepto

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:56 pm

polezaivsani wrote:
Finally got to have a couple most basic plain white porcelain gaiwans. Initially i was more after a 100ml version and it did function alright for the expectations i had, nothing to mention. Along with it i also got couple of 60ml variants. At first i was appalled by how tiny they seemed, even thought that it couldn't handle the bigger leaf varieties. Was wrong on all accounts :).

One aspect i haven't heard mentioned yet - due to their size, they spot the tightest feedback loop. There is little matter to accumulate heat or flavor and in that regard they are perfect vessels for experimenting and learning. That's a two faced coin as usual - they are rather brittle. These lovely flimsy pieces are now my go to daily tools.
I picked up a very nice 75 ml gaiwan with 50ml teacups and you are correct. I pushed some puerh with a bit more extra leaf and it is great for examination and tasting. The 50 ml teacups made the tea get cold quicker so it was easy to sip from them right away and you get a perfect sample size of tea you are testing.
OCTO

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:32 pm

polezaivsani wrote:

@polezaivsani

I can't agree more. A simple and basic porcelain gaiwan is the most useful tool to have when it comes to tasting and learning. My personal preferences are 100ml and 120ml. Both I brew to a ratio between 5g to 8g of leaves, depending on the type of tea. Seldom pushing beyond 8g for tasting. Very often 5g to 100ml. On rare occasion when tasting high grade HongCha... would drop to 3g per 100ml. It's more than sufficient.

Cheers!!
StoneLadle

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:39 am

I've been brewing a whole series of aged Oolong using gaiwan, the reason being I needed to know what they are like as is. They ranged from "confirmed" provenance ie. bought from a shop to foraged and discovered, ie. stuff I found in my late dad's home office..

The ones I liked I popped into a few pots to see how they come up after. Narrowed down to pots that work and pots that don't.

Gaiwan is indispensable
maitre_tea

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:20 pm

My favorite gaiwan is from The Tea Gallery, which has closed. It's eggshell thin and a dream to use; however, I worry about the day will come that it breaks. What are people's recommendations for thin gaiwan with flared lips to minimize finger-burning?
nohwonder

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:08 am

maitre_tea wrote:
My favorite gaiwan is from The Tea Gallery, which has closed. It's eggshell thin and a dream to use; however, I worry about the day will come that it breaks. What are people's recommendations for thin gaiwan with flared lips to minimize finger-burning?
I haven't used them but these gaiwans look pretty nice to me: https://redblossomtea.com/collections/gaiwans

It says they're 220 ml but at 3.5 x 3.75 inches there's no way that's correct. Probably more like 120 ml based on those dimensions. I might be wrong though so buy at your own risk :lol:
maitre_tea

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 am

maitre_tea wrote:
The ones from TWL are back in stock and look super thin
OCTO

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:44 am

maitre_tea wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 am
maitre_tea wrote:
The ones from TWL are back in stock and look super thin
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
LeoFox

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:03 am

wondering which would be easier to use and have less finger burn:

The one in TWL which is out of stock again:

https://teaswelike.com/product/thin-fla ... in-gaiwan/

Or this one from mud and leaves:

https://www.mudandleaves.com/store/p381 ... aiwan.html
debunix

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 am

I expect I would burn my fingers on both of those.
LeoFox

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 am

debunix wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 am
I expect I would burn my fingers on both of those.
Do you have one that does not burn your fingers? If so, where can i get it?