How does a westerner learn yixing?

Chadrinkincat

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 am

Brent D wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 am
.m. wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 am
I'm not completely convinced that you got scammed. While it is obviously a lot of money, and lot of disappointment for you, the price might be close to what might have originally paid for them. Of course, there is probably a reason why he wanted to unload himself of them. The "F1" pot might be a honest mistake if the clay is a good quality, and the pricing is in line with current EoT prices on their pots. And the "zhuni" looks like a nice pot with a fast pour. I'm not sure how much consensus is there on what a modern zhuni clay is/is not.
I got a pot from edited a long time ago through teachat, and i'm genuinely happy with it (also it was about $60), i've never had any reason to doubt his honesty.
From my understanding, he knows enough to know that this was not an F1.
I have saved all the info he sent me on the zhuni. it was promised as a Zhauzhuang from the Senchado school in Kyoto.
I think the third pot is slip cast. can anyone confirm?
Even expierenced people make mistakes with F1. It could've easily been a design he wasn't familiar with but trusted the source he got it from. He's been a respected member of the tea community for awhile so I'd hold off on making final judgements until he's responded to you.
Last edited by pedant on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod edit: name removed
Demea

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 am

I have this same pot from edited, and certainly did not think it was slipcast, but I'm also far from an expert. Would definitely be interested to hear others' opinions.
Brent D wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 am
.m. wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 am

I think the third pot is slip cast. can anyone confirm?
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Yeah I think people can make mistakes, we are human. I have a beautiful National Treasure Jozan III that Ferg got via edited, it is stunning and authentic. I also think your 2nd and 3rd pots look pretty nice although pricy :) win some loose some in world of collecting. I’ve gotten amazing steals and deals, and then payed retail plus some for other pots, so I figure it balances out a little. Hopeful you can get back around to enjoying making tea with a few of these pots 🍃
Brent D

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm

I got a hold of him.
He apologized for his error on the f1 and said he will refund my money for it.
From everything I’ve heard, this was an isolated incident. My intention was never to run his name through the mud, rather to have the community help with my situation.
I thank you all for your input.
I will have this thread locked now.
pedant
Admin

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:04 am

about this thread...

after some discussion, the mods have decided to restore it but have redacted the seller's name.
it doesn't look like the seller was acting fraudulently, and the situation was resolved amicably.

the reason it's being restored has nothing to do with this particular seller or buyer per se.
it just illustrates that buying factory pots isn't always straightforward and highlights the wisdom of "go slow: look more & buy less".