Yixing

Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:31 pm

helotea wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:05 pm
I had this for years, but there are different opinions. Any comments?Image
Looks no older than later 80s to me. A bit odd proportions, but not sure if that means anything.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:53 pm

helotea wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:35 pm
Thank you. There are different opinions. No clue.
Have a look here for some useful references, or get the book: https://www.facebook.com/groups/teapot2
As you are in Taiwan, the shipping is free ; )
Chadrinkincat

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:34 pm

The overall look of this pot seems more inline w/ factory 2 from 80-90’s. Or possibly another smaller unknown studio.

One of the hardest parts of collecting Yixing, is knowing who opinion to trust. IMHO both Bok and Steanze are two of the most knowledgeable people here when it comes to older pots.

+1 for the FB group
The focus is factory 1 pots but there is also lots of useful info about pre-F1 shui ping and zhuni.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:59 am

helotea wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:50 am

Thank you. Everyone has their own opinions. Ha.. I normally talk to tea pot lovers directly.
You can directly ask Lu Chilin, he’s very helpful. Not far from you either… short drive and you can visit ;)
steanze
Vendor

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:21 pm

helotea wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:05 pm
I had this for years, but there are different opinions. Any comments?Image
I concur with @Chadrinkincat's opinion on this one. To me it does not look like a Factory 1 production. This type of hui meng chen seal is sometimes seen in F1 teapots from the early to mid 1980s, however, several construction details do not match the Factory 1 characteristics of the period. More specifically, the lid knob does not look like what F1 would do, and also the underside of the lid suggests that this is not a F1 production. While characters under the lid similar to the ones on this pot were used for some time during the early 1980s, the font of the characters in this teapot does not match the font used in the early 80s F1 productions. Together, these observations suggest that the teapot might have been made by other factories. In terms of the clay, I would say that this teapot seems better than the other teapot with the "1963" stamp.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:25 pm

To each their own.

If you really want to find out what your pots are it’s usually better to ask the people who know, not the ones who might maybe know something or not ;)

I’d be also careful with contemporary Yixing “masters” and what they know/are willing to share, about vintage or older teaware. After all it’s not in his own interest to tell you another pot not made by him is real or good, unless he faked it himself, haha
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:32 pm

helotea wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:09 pm
No worries. In my opinion, a maker is better than a collector. It makes no sense that a collector knows more than a maker.A tea drinker knows more than a tea farmer? Is it possible?
He ,Wubaohua ,is a good guy. No worries. He is better than any tea pot collector in Taiwan. It is of no doubt.
He is very honest and express his professional opinions directly.

Thank you.anyway.
Maker yes for contemporary things, but not necessarily for older stuff he might not be familiar with. A tea maker doesn’t always know how tea was made during Qing period does he?

If that guy told you the other pot is Zhuni than he’s not so honest :)
steanze
Vendor

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:33 pm

helotea wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:09 pm
No worries. In my opinion, a maker is better than a collector. It makes no sense that a collector knows more than a maker.A tea drinker knows more than a tea farmer? Is it possible?
He ,Wubaohua ,is a good guy. No worries. He is better than any tea pot collector in Taiwan. It is of no doubt.
He is very honest and express his professional opinions directly.

Thank you.anyway.
A maker and a collector know different things. A collector does not know how to produce a teapot. The collector does not have the skills to do that (at least, I certainly don't). But a maker might not have seen and studied closely as many examples of old teapots from different time periods as a collector. These are different types of knowledge.

Both a good maker and a good collector will understand the nuance of the lines and the balance.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 pm

@steanze we posted at the same time, but you put that better in words than I did… +1
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:48 am

helotea wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:10 am
No one can be better than him for Yixing tea pot in Taiwan. That is my opinion.
Interesting opinion... how come then that most of the well regarded books on old Yixing pots are written and published by the Taiwanese editor Wushing? Or that Chinese collectors invite Dr.Lu to do lectures in China? Or that live auctions in Taiwan attract huge overseas interest from China, with prices put in RMB for convenience? I guess Taiwanese collectors know nothing... :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:34 am

I’ll let them know… :lol: