Plots with pots

Balthazar

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 am

Apologies for the awful title, I wanted something more creative than "movies containing scenes with teapots" and this was the best I could do.

Back in this thread I posted a snapshot from "Two Stage Sisters" (舞台姐妹) where a character is drinking tea straight from the spout of the pot.

I came across a (actually several) similar scenes in a film today, and I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to gather screenshots/clips etc., from media fiction where teapots feature. Probably not going to be a topic with many posts, but hopefully it'll have some reference value.
Balthazar

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:42 am

This is from Red Children" (红孩子), a 1958 children's war film (yep that's a thing).

The teapot guy is a villain by the way, which should not be a surprise given the genre and the period.

There's also a scene where he smashes his beloved teapot in anger. But that's not for the faint of heart and I won't post it here.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:03 pm

I like this topic, Balthazar.

Thai tv shows often feature villains who sit w/ a pot of tea by them w/ a tiny cup by it. Rarely do you see one of the villains drink. Perhaps the message is that if the boss wants to drink some tea, his own pot should be right by him even if he only wants a sip & if he wants to fill that tiny cup 20 times, enough tea to do that should be right there.

There is never a seen showing preparation. Sometimes an underling bringing the pot to the villain is shown.

Cigar scenes around the world show ignorance. The Showcase series, Billions, had characters using overly high storage temperatures for cigars that would have totally ruined them, leading to growth of mold etc. The smokers as in other movies do, were lighting cigars w/ common lighters which would ruin the flavor (so would flame from a candle). Real cigar smokers use matches or butane lighters.
Balthazar

Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:03 pm
Cigar scenes around the world show ignorance. The Showcase series, Billions, had characters using overly high storage temperatures for cigars that would have totally ruined them, leading to growth of mold etc. The smokers as in other movies do, were lighting cigars w/ common lighters which would ruin the flavor (so would flame from a candle). Real cigar smokers use matches or butane lighters.
Brilliant. I imagine connoisseurs of all kinds are a major annoyance to TV/movie producers :mrgreen:
klepto

Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:59 pm

For all the years I watched both Chinese and Japanese tv shows and movies since my childhood you'd think I would have been drinking tea and have a storage locker filled with teaware by now.. Ugh never mind.. Drinking tea straight out of the pot.. oof.. I hope he's drinking some green tea that requires lower temps. Tbh, it is a super flex and only someone with true sophistication and guts could pull that off. :)
Balthazar

Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:43 am

Another "straight from the spout" scene, this is from the final episode of the 2004 show "中国式离婚".

(Side note: An excellent show, from before the current situation of mainstream Mainland Chinese television where most shows run to 40+ episodes and collapse halfway through. Really bleak though, downright difficult to watch at times. Yet it has this captivating and almost eerie atmosphere and feels very "real". Actually reminds me of Andrzej Żuławski's "Possession" with touches of Bergman in some ways, although stylistically they're far apart)
Andrew S

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:53 pm

I like how this has evolved from a 'movies with teapots' theme to a more specific 'drinking from the spout' theme. I'm sure I've seen photos or videos of this practice, but I just can't recall where.

Does anyone know if this style of teapot was made for the purpose of drinking from the spout? I had always just assumed that that was the case, since it'd be a bit awkward to hold the handle from the 'correct' side.

Andrew
teatray

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 am

I still remember drinking from the spout as a child with unpleasant results. Yet they seem to make pots specifically for this purpose (this one was listed as 60-70s F1).
Attachments
90deg-handle-yixing.jpg
90deg-handle-yixing.jpg (71.59 KiB) Viewed 1620 times