Help With My Teapot

Chadrinkincat

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Anybody posting questions about their pots/tea here should be open to listening to the views of people with more experience even when it's not the answer they want. The whole point of forums like this is to learn from those more knowledgeable than ones self.

Also Steanz hasnt claimed to be an authority on pots but he seems pretty knowledgeable on the subject compared to alot of us.
Shane

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm
Anybody posting questions about their pots/tea here should be open to listening to the views of people with more experience even when it's not the answer they want. The whole point of forums like this is to learn from those more knowledgeable than ones self.

Also Steanz hasnt claimed to be an authority on pots but he seems pretty knowledgeable on the subject compared to alot of us.
I was completely fine that Steanz gave an opinion it's a free country, but also when he says the pot is unusable I should be able to ask for others' opinions.

It also says something to me when someone gets rude because you don't accept their opinion as fact... To disrespect someone that has a different opinion is just wrong.

This could have been a friendly conversation about a teapot, but emotions got involved and now I don't know what to think or who to believe.
steanze
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Shane wrote:
when he says the pot is unusable
Would you mind quoting word-for-word where I said that?

Rereading my own posts, I find:
I suspect the clay was mixed with non-yixing additives before firing. This does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe.
and
What happens when one has a yixing which looks like other stuff has been added to the clay? It could be fine (as F1 heini is I think) - or it could be problematic. Even if it does not smell weird, it might still leach. So it's up to one's decision whether to risk it or not.
So I am really not sure where you read that "it's unusable".
Shane wrote:
It also says something to me when someone gets rude because you don't accept their opinion as fact... To disrespect someone that has a different opinion is just wrong.
If you know little about pots, someone more knowledgeable spends time to help you, and you dismiss what they tell you, well, that is rude. Don't be surprised if you get a direct response. When people helped me to learn about pots, I was thankful that they spent their precious time sharing their knowledge.
Shane

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 pm

steanze wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:59 pm
Unfortunately this looks like a fake. I suggest to use a gaiwan instead, and switch to a pot once you find a good quality yixing.
All I can assume by this comment is that it isn't useable.

Steanz, thank you for sharing your time on this topic. Forgive me for not knowing who you are and how knowledgeable you are on the subject. I didn't mean to be rude.

If I told you that the car you bought was a piece of junk, and that you should look for something different, would you take my word on that? I doubt it. So I was merely asking for other opinions. I meant no disrespect by that, nor did I disregard your comments.

I don't want to make enemies. So please forgive me.
Shane

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Maybe you could give an opinion on my other post?
steanze
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Shane wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 pm
steanze wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:59 pm
Unfortunately this looks like a fake. I suggest to use a gaiwan instead, and switch to a pot once you find a good quality yixing.
All I can assume by this comment is that it isn't useable.

Steanz, thank you for sharing your time on this topic. Forgive me for not knowing who you are and how knowledgeable you are on the subject. I didn't mean to be rude.

If I told you that the car you bought was a piece of junk, and that you should look for something different, would you take my word on that? I doubt it. So I was merely asking for other opinions. I meant no disrespect by that, nor did I disregard your comments.

I don't want to make enemies. So please forgive me.
Alright :) I understand it is difficult to find out something is not as nice as we initially thought, I have been there too. I am not an authority, but I think I have enough experience to evaluate this particular case. A gaiwan is a nice tool, sometimes underrated, so even if a pot is "usable" a gaiwan could still be better.
Atlas

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm

steanze wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm
-snip-
I can't speak for anyone else, but for what it's worth my questions came from the direction of "Is it safe or unsafe for OP to use the pot he already has?", not "Aren't imitation yixing pots good too?".

That's why I ask whether there are any dangerous adulterants that might get added to clay bodies - whether or not imitations are good value or look good, if someone has already bought one, the immediate concern is whether that particular pot should be trashed/shelved or not.

I get that feeling like you're being made to explain yourself to (I would guess) far-less-qualified people can be frustrating, just know that my questions were coming from the right place and weren't intended as challenges.
steanze
Vendor

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Atlas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm
I can't speak for anyone else, but for what it's worth my questions came from the direction of "Is it safe or unsafe for OP to use the pot he already has?", not "Aren't imitation yixing pots good too?".

That's why I ask whether there are any dangerous adulterants that might get added to clay bodies - whether or not imitations are good value or look good, if someone has already bought one, the immediate concern is whether that particular pot should be trashed/shelved or not.

I get that feeling like you're being made to explain yourself to (I would guess) far-less-qualified people can be frustrating, just know that my questions were coming from the right place and weren't intended as challenges.
No worries! I did not take your questions as challenges and I tried to reply as clearly as possible to all of them. I hope it was helpful and I am happy to reply to other questions (if I know the answer :) )
Atlas

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:47 pm

steanze wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:14 pm
-snip-
Cool. Thanks for taking the time! (and for your patience).
Chadrinkincat

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Shane wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 pm
steanze wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi Shane! This pot is better, looks like yixing clay :) the shape is quite nice too
Cool Beans! What really annoys me is that this pot was $18 and the fake was $MORE...

"It is very beautiful and rare. Maybe 1980’s and the clay is nice. Yixing clay with yellow sand mixed in"

$322.70?
Last edited by Chadrinkincat on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steanze
Vendor

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Atlas wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:47 pm
Cool. Thanks for taking the time! (and for your patience).
You're welcome! Happy to help :)