Di Cao Qing clay

Jules_Ludwig

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:23 am

Hello everybody,
I read a lot about DCQ clay and that it´s supposed to be very versatile, so that kinda all types of tea turn out pretty well in it.
I would love to hear about your experiences with this type of clay and if there are any recommendations with which type of tea it´ll perform well.
Thank you for your answers. :)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 am

I got some and they do indeed well with many teas. But... not necessarily straight away, mine performed best after properly broken in.

In general, I’d recommend not to follow anyone’s advice on how a certain kind of clay is supposed to perform or not. Trust your own taste buds.

In the end that’s also the only thing that matters, does it make the tea you drink better or not. It’s easy to fall into the trap of getting teaware just because others said so on account of their very own and personal taste/tea/experience/level.
steanze
Vendor

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:29 am

Jules_Ludwig wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:23 am
Hello everybody,
I read a lot about DCQ clay and that it´s supposed to be very versatile, so that kinda all types of tea turn out pretty well in it.
I would love to hear about your experiences with this type of clay and if there are any recommendations with which type of tea it´ll perform well.
Thank you for your answers. :)
The processing and firing can have a large impact on how it performs, so it is difficult to make a generalization for all DCQ pots. It's pretty similar to zini. Assuming average firing and mesh size, I'd use it for sheng puer or for roasted oolongs if you want to emphasize body over nuances.
faj

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 am

Bok wrote:
It’s easy to fall into the trap of getting teaware just because others said so on account of their very own and personal taste/tea/experience/level.
On the other hand, what is the alternative? Getting all kinds of teaware while avoiding other's subjective opinions because you have to figure out everything for yourself? It seems like that leads to a similar outcome (getting lots of teaware, and in the end making your own mind), and looks like no less of a trap to me. Some call it a rabbit hole...

Seeking other people's input seems to me like a useful exercise, even if in the end you know you cannot trust that other people's opinions are both well informed and aligned with your own preferences.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:55 am

@faj you’re also right about that. Two sides of the same coin.
LeoFox

Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:11 am

Maybe the best thing to do is to get the advice from someone experienced and who has a taste in tea that is similar to you. No point in following the advice of a young poo lover when you only like Darjeeling.

In wine, for example, no reason to base quality on Parker points if you don’t like obese high alcohol styles.
Jules_Ludwig

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Bok wrote:
I got some and they do indeed well with many teas.
I know you're more on the vintage side if it comes to pots. Are your experiences based on older pots? In this case I was thinking of a modern pot, and decent quality.
faj wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 am
Some call it a rabbit hole...
Yes, you're totally right! It always feels wrong getting more teaware to try out other clays, because I have a lot already. What makes it even worse is that the good stuff is quite costly.

Thank you for your thoughts, guys.
Balthazar

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm

I only have one DCQ pot (bought from a member here, actually). It's one of those private order pots commissioned by a Malaysian collector in the 90s that EoT used to carry. No idea to what extent the fact that it's fired in a dragon kiln makes it different from other DCQ pots, and since sample size = 1 I wouldn't dare generalize anyways...

But I really like it! Works well with a range of teas, particularly when "you want to emphasize body over nuances" as @steanze said.

I've actually been on the lookout for a larger DCQ pot myself (something in the 180+ ml range, preferably fired in the same way since I'm so happy with the one I have), because many of the teas I find work well with my current pot are teas I enjoy as office drinkers.
Chris

Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:19 pm

I have one modern, woodfired DCQ pot from YZG. I use it mostly for middle-aged sheng puerh and sometimes other heicha. It makes teas consistently smooth and round, and is one of my favorite pots (alongside a Green Label zini and LQER zini).

Just my personal experience. :)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm
I only have one DCQ pot (bought from a member here, actually). It's one of those private order pots commissioned by a Malaysian collector in the 90s that EoT used to carry. No idea to what extent the fact that it's fired in a dragon kiln makes it different from other DCQ pots, and since sample size = 1 I wouldn't dare generalize W anyways...
90s and fired in a dragon kiln?

@Jules_Ludwig all antiques, so possibly also not the best sample size for your purposes. Although the name DCQ did not exist back then, the clay pretty much fits the description. I’ve only seen this kind of clay in old pots with exceptional craftsmanship, not the Julunzhu commoner kind.
OCTO

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 pm

DCQ!! Love this clay to the moon and back!! Will also drive you up the wall and hang you there. Consider it a rollercoaster ride up and down the rabbit hole!!

My DCQ works well with fresh green TGY, Muza/Roasted TGY, HongCha, YanCha, LiuBao, LiuAn and Puerh (Sheng and Shou).

Cheers!!!
Balthazar

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:29 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:42 pm
90s and fired in a dragon kiln?

That's the story. I wouldn't be the one to know whether it's just a story or really true, though.

I believe @OCTO has written about these pots before too.

Would have to be some of the very last pots
Jules_Ludwig

Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:43 am

Thank you, guys.
I guess I just have to try, kinda like always if it comes to Yixing. :D
I ordered my preferred one today, I'm curious how it will work.
TeaTotaling

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Jules_Ludwig wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:43 am
Thank you, guys.
I guess I just have to try, kinda like always if it comes to Yixing. :D
I ordered my preferred one today, I'm curious how it will work.
Excellent! Dive in, buddy! Which one did you choose?? I have had mine for almost a year, love iiiit!
Attachments
F4FBB304-B55A-4DFB-97CC-F3EF7255ECD1.jpeg
F4FBB304-B55A-4DFB-97CC-F3EF7255ECD1.jpeg (446.86 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
TeaTotaling

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:13 pm

OCTO wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 pm
DCQ!! Love this clay to the moon and back!! Will also drive you up the wall and hang you there. Consider it a rollercoaster ride up and down the rabbit hole!!

My DCQ works well with fresh green TGY, Muza/Roasted TGY, HongCha, YanCha, LiuBao, LiuAn and Puerh (Sheng and Shou).

Cheers!!!
Well said, good buddy!! Hilarious analysis, and so true! DCQ for the win🥇

Many Cheers!!
🐰🕳🎢