Di Cao Qing clay

Jules_Ludwig

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:25 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:03 pm
Excellent! Dive in, buddy! Which one did you choose?? I have had mine for almost a year, love iiiit!
I chose a model from YZG, since I have always had a very nice experience with this shop. Quality- and service wise. :)
I like your pot, pretty one!
Last edited by Victoria on Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: added referenced link
TeaTotaling

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:08 am

@Jules_Ludwig Likewise! Good to hear. Sounds like you might have a couple from them, haha. I find I enjoy mine so much that I can't help using it for a variety of teas. Of course, as it was previously mentioned, processing and firing have a big impact on performance. Personally, I found there was an extended break in period, so don't get discouraged if it's not performing well right out of the gates. Patina development on mine has transformed the exterior leathery smooth, and I dry brew. Overall, I love mine, and I hope you find the same enjoyment with yours.
TeaTotaling

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 am

@Jules_Ludwig Which one did you get??
Jules_Ludwig

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:33 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Jules_Ludwig Which one did you get??
I didn't want to spend much money, but the by far prettiest I saw was from Hang Hai, a Pan Hu shape with 160ml, which is a great size.
I really don't wanna brag or something... at first I didn't want to tell at all, but since some people were asking and I opened this thread I kinda thought I had to... :D
TeaTotaling

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:55 am

Jules_Ludwig wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:33 am
TeaTotaling wrote:
Jules_Ludwig Which one did you get??
I didn't want to spend much money, but the by far prettiest I saw was from Hang Hai, a Pan Hu shape with 160ml, which is a great size.
I really don't wanna brag or something... at first I didn't want to tell at all, but since some people were asking and I opened this thread I kinda thought I had to... :D
Certainly not bragging, just sharing the love. I knew it!! Great choice, it looks amazing!! I have heard good things about Hang Hai's workmanship. Thanks for sharing :)
3rdfolder

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Jules_Ludwig Likewise! Good to hear. Sounds like you might have a couple from them, haha. I find I enjoy mine so much that I can't help using it for a variety of teas. Of course, as it was previously mentioned, processing and firing have a big impact on performance. Personally, I found there was an extended break in period, so don't get discouraged if it's not performing well right out of the gates. Patina development on mine has transformed the exterior leathery smooth, and I dry brew. Overall, I love mine, and I hope you find the same enjoyment with yours.
Hi TeaTotaling,

Can you tell how the firing can influence the performance? Let's say, low vs medium vs high firing. What's the effect on tea tasting and texture?
Thanks!
TeaTotaling

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:37 pm

3rdfolder wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Jules_Ludwig Likewise! Good to hear. Sounds like you might have a couple from them, haha. I find I enjoy mine so much that I can't help using it for a variety of teas. Of course, as it was previously mentioned, processing and firing have a big impact on performance. Personally, I found there was an extended break in period, so don't get discouraged if it's not performing well right out of the gates. Patina development on mine has transformed the exterior leathery smooth, and I dry brew. Overall, I love mine, and I hope you find the same enjoyment with yours.
Hi TeaTotaling,

Can you tell how the firing can influence the performance? Let's say, low vs medium vs high firing. What's the effect on tea tasting and texture?
Thanks!
Hello @3rdfolder. From my basic knowledge, firing temperature has a direct impact on clay sintering. Each type of clay will likely have a different firing protocol. An under-fired pot has the potential to absorb too much water, possibly muting more flavor than would be desired. An over-fired pot might exhibit some deformities, firing bubbles, and a heavy presence of dark iron spots. Somewhere in the middle lies the optimal firing range, which will produce the desired appearance and affect. A well-fired pot of good clay will probably have a nice sheen, render a deep color after a few sessions, and develop a patina with ease.
TeaTotaling

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm

@Jules_Ludwig How's the new DCQ treating you??
Jules_Ludwig

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Jules_Ludwig How's the new DCQ treating you??
Hello, sorry for the late reply. :)
The clay is very interesting and totally different from all the other pots I own. It seems to be very pure and clean clay. It absolutely hasn't any particular clay smell. Hot water tastes fresh and pure out of the pot.

So far I tried it with two Pu-Erh and two Yanchas, always in comparison with other pots.

The pots adds astringency and body. Very well pronounciated. It opens up the flavour profile and widens the range of flavors.
Although I have to say that the two Puerhs were both autumn harvests and I liked them better in other pots. Probably because unpleasant flavour hints were muted by these pots, while the DCQ clay didn't mute but embraced them a bit. Have to try it with better qualities.

I had the best result with an aged Shui Xian from 2004, but in general I prefer my Duanni pot with Yancha.
TeaTotaling

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Jules_Ludwig wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 am
TeaTotaling wrote:
Jules_Ludwig How's the new DCQ treating you??
Hello, sorry for the late reply. :)
The clay is very interesting and totally different from all the other pots I own. It seems to be very pure and clean clay. It absolutely hasn't any particular clay smell. Hot water tastes fresh and pure out of the pot.

So far I tried it with two Pu-Erh and two Yanchas, always in comparison with other pots.

The pots adds astringency and body. Very well pronounciated. It opens up the flavour profile and widens the range of flavors.
Although I have to say that the two Puerhs were both autumn harvests and I liked them better in other pots. Probably because unpleasant flavour hints were muted by these pots, while the DCQ clay didn't mute but embraced them a bit. Have to try it with better qualities.

I had the best result with an aged Shui Xian from 2004, but in general I prefer my Duanni pot with Yancha.
Excellent, good to hear! Sounds like a solid pot, overall. How do you like the craftsmanship and pour?
Jules_Ludwig

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Craftsmanship and pour is perfect!