Yixing advice

Victoria
Admin

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm
Chen doesn't update the site when a pots been sold, I bought a pot that's still up, so I believe those pots have been sold. At least that's what he told me.

Edit: I should say he doesn't always update it, he does just not frequently I don't think.
I’m really looking forward to seeing you post about your new shuiping and how you are handling it too.

Rarity (age, availability) + Collectability (aesthetic, effect on taste, investment, demand) = >< Value
Bok
Vendor

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Victoria wrote:
I’m really looking forward to seeing you post about your new shuiping and how you are handling it too.

Rarity (age, availability) + Collectability (aesthetic, effect on taste, investment, demand) = >< Value
+1

Could also be a good opportunity to do a side by side with other clays as the pot shape is easy to find in the same size and different material (if you have those that is).
Handling is probably with a shivering hand, seen the investment :mrgreen: Anyways what breaks, breaks, the more you think about the value, the more likely you’ll slip – so keep calm and make tea!
Teachronicles

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 pm
Victoria wrote:

+1

Could also be a good opportunity to do a side by side with other clays as the pot shape is easy to find in the same size and different material (if you have those that is).
Handling is probably with a shivering hand, seen the investment :mrgreen: Anyways what breaks, breaks, the more you think about the value, the more likely you’ll slip – so keep calm and make tea!
Haha bok. I don't even think about it. The pots for making tea. I'm always very careful, keeping it low, with a firm grip.

Edit: the most danger it's in is when it's on the drying rack.

And of course I think about haha but it doesn't make me too skiddish. Usually very calm, it's a treat to be able to have and use.
Last edited by Teachronicles on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teachronicles

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Victoria wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm
Chen doesn't update the site when a pots been sold, I bought a pot that's still up, so I believe those pots have been sold. At least that's what he told me.

Edit: I should say he doesn't always update it, he does just not frequently I don't think.

I did your water taste test today and there was a slight goashan flavor, which I'm not worried about. The next tests are aged sheng so I'll make sure to do the boiling rinses after that, as that flavor can be pretty strong. I'll post an update when I decide on a pairing. Handling was tedious at first, but I'm getting better every time I use it. Fits my hands pretty well, albeit a tad small, but it's a small pot so that's expected.
Teachronicles

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 pm

:D

Ugh is this album showing up? Or is it an advertisement?

Mod edit: url update.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 am

For safety, I recommend putting both the lid and the body on the towel. No need to put the lid on top of the teapot body. In my view, it is less stable
Teachronicles

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 am

steanze wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 am
For safety, I recommend putting both the lid and the body on the towel. No need to put the lid on top of the teapot body. In my view, it is less stable
Just up there for a second to take the picture, no worries.
Brent D

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am

That picture scared me! At first glance I thought I was looking at a broken pot! :lol:
after focusing my eyes, shes a beauty :D
Brent D

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:58 am

Recently came across a pot that was being called Niangao clay. Looked similar to hongni. I am finding conflicting info when search the net. Thought this could be a good topic of discussion.
ShuShu

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 am

Brent D wrote:
Recently came across a pot that was being called Niangao clay. Looked similar to hongni. I am finding conflicting info when search the net. Thought this could be a good topic of discussion.
The mud muffin! ha ha... I'm sure steanze will chime in and give the story (BTW - I think its Nian gao tu (年糕土) )
basically a type of hongni clay. post 77. some claim its rare or highly sought after. some don't make a big deal
steanze wrote:
steanze
Vendor

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am

Brent D wrote:
Niangaotu is a type of hongni used during green label period, picks up a nice patina but the effect on tea is pretty much like porcelain. Some appreciate it because they like the looks, others dislike it because its effect on tea is not very yixing-like. It's a significant step down from pre-1977 hongni but better than many later hongni clays.

Apparently, google translate translates it as "muffin mud" :lol:
Chadrinkincat

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:58 am

There is an article on early teapot FB group discussing this clay. It supposedly cools faster than regular hongni.
Emmett
Vendor

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 am

I've been testing the niangao or niangaotu... Same thing... pots a lot recently with raw puerh... I find that it can be porcelain like as is said for some examples. But Depends on the firing more than the clay itself, as I find it varies from pot to pot.. I have tried five different shapes, with slightly varied firing. I find I like it with very clean stored, quality leaf, not good for very aged or hk storage for my liking
Outcomes with it also depends on the shape though too.
I don't like it as much as 70s - late 70s hongni, but the price is usually significantly cheaper.

Ita definitely not as nice red as hongni. But Its growing on me..
Patina is definitely top notch on it, and developes faster it seems than other clays.
The actual story of the clay seems like is a little obscure as different sources say different stories...

Just a couple thoughts about it.
steanze
Vendor

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:56 pm

+1 exactly Emmett those are my thoughts as well. It can still be worth it 1) for aesthetic reasons, 2) sometimes the pot shape is convenient over the gaiwan shape, e.g. if you're making chaozhou gongfu and want to form a chadan
ShuShu

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:01 pm

steanze wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am
Niangaotu is a type of hongni used during green label period, picks up a nice patina but the effect on tea is pretty much like porcelain. Some appreciate it because they like the looks, others dislike it because its effect on tea is not very yixing-like. It's a significant step down from pre-1977 hongni but better than many later hongni clays.
So, I've recently done some TC reading on niangaotu (NGT) and it seems that its main disadvantage is that it significantly lacks porosity, because of the way the clay was processed and its resulting density. I assume that this is what you mean by saying that "it's not very yixing-like" or like porcelain. But then in what sense is it better than many later hongnis?
I'v also read that it usually seasons very well (what does that mean?), is this what makes good in your view?
Finally, holding other things equal, to which tea would you pair it?