Vendor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 pm
OCTO wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 pm
I have been working on pairing my DCQ recently. It’s 25 year aged clay. I’m finding it works well with Aged Sheng, > 5 years. Is this what you have found in your experience?
TeaTotaling

I've found they work well with Sheng Puerh that are above 15 years. Most of the Sheng Puerh I drink are 20+ years. I have since made some changes and this pot is now dedicated to aged YanCha.

Personally, I've found DCQ to be a tricky clay to pair as their characteristics change when fired at different temperature.

Cheers!
Figures! The struggle continues. Of course it’s tricky, can’t be easy 🙃

I’ll find out around what firing temp I’m working with, and report back.
I'm just gonna leave this here. :)
https://yannzishagallery.com/blogs/zish ... emperature
https://yannzishagallery.com/blogs/zish ... sha-part-2
OCTO

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 am

@Yann Zisha Gallery

Very very nice write up!!... Can't agree more. We should not be bothered at what temperature our pot is fired... but rather if it's fired correctly. Irregardless of temperature, the art here is to make the pot work in coherence with the tea you're brewing. Though colour rendering and patina development rate is regarded as a clear indicator, there are times we find gems that brews up a storm of a cup but the clay is far from being appalling to sight. This is just me personal experience in this vast abyss, filled with endless variables and possibilities.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!!
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 am

True Experts don't hand out patents of who is an expert.
polezaivsani

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:42 pm

OCTO wrote:
I've found they work well with Sheng Puerh that are above 15 years.
@OCTO, would you mind telling how it makes DCQ a good fit for shengs older than 15 years? Does the rounding effect befits such teas in some way? I haven't drunk those at all yet, if that matters :roll:.
Yann Zisha Gallery
Vendor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:30 pm

steanze wrote:
exactly :) !!
Yann Zisha Gallery
Vendor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:32 pm

OCTO wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 am
Yann Zisha Gallery

Very very nice write up!!... Can't agree more. We should not be bothered at what temperature our pot is fired... but rather if it's fired correctly. Irregardless of temperature, the art here is to make the pot work in coherence with the tea you're brewing. Though colour rendering and patina development rate is regarded as a clear indicator, there are times we find gems that brews up a storm of a cup but the clay is far from being appalling to sight. This is just me personal experience in this vast abyss, filled with endless variables and possibilities.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!!
haha!! "fired correctly" exactly that !! :D
OCTO

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm

Yann Zisha Gallery wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:30 pm
steanze wrote:
exactly :) !!
OK now..... let’s not let the cat out of the bag.... hahahahahaha....... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
pantry

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:59 pm

OCTO wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm
OK now..... let’s not let the cat out of the bag.... hahahahahaha....... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Speaking of cat and bag, I finally opened my bag of lazy cat's space cat rougui. I brewed it in a small flat shaped hong ni pot. It was quite subtle and delicious. Easy to brew. I love it! </subject switching attempt>
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 pm

pantry wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Speaking of cat and bag, I finally opened my bag of lazy cat's space cat rougui. I brewed it in a small flat shaped hong ni pot. It was quite subtle and delicious. Easy to brew. I love it! </subject switching attempt>

NIce, perfect shape for Yancha!
OCTO

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 pm

polezaivsani wrote:
OCTO wrote:
OCTO, would you mind telling how it makes DCQ a good fit for shengs older than 15 years? Does the rounding effect befits such teas in some way? I haven't drunk those at all yet, if that matters :roll:.
@polezaivsani

The good fit I was referring to is in fact my own taste preference.

When you take a deeper dive into DCQ, you will find that low, medium and high temperature firing results in a different colour hue and tone to the end product... your teapot. Medium fired DCQ is often highly sought after because they are the easiest to pair with popular teas like LiuBao and Ripe Puerh.

The DCQ mentioned in the earlier post is made from aged DCQ and it makes a good cup of Aged Raw Puerh or YanCha. I decided to dedicate it to YanCha because I found a better match for Raw Puerh... hahahaha....

Cheers!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 pm

I’d second that. I got an old pot of high fired DCQ and it excels with Yancha or actually any other kind of roasted Oolongs.
TeaTotaling

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:26 am

OCTO wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 pm
polezaivsani wrote:
OCTO wrote:
OCTO, would you mind telling how it makes DCQ a good fit for shengs older than 15 years? Does the rounding effect befits such teas in some way? I haven't drunk those at all yet, if that matters :roll:.
polezaivsani

The good fit I was referring to is in fact my own taste preference.

When you take a deeper dive into DCQ, you will find that low, medium and high temperature firing results in a different colour hue and tone to the end product... your teapot. Medium fired DCQ is often highly sought after because they are the easiest to pair with popular teas like LiuBao and Ripe Puerh.

The DCQ mentioned in the earlier post is made from aged DCQ and it makes a good cup of Aged Raw Puerh or YanCha. I decided to dedicate it to YanCha because I found a better match for Raw Puerh... hahahaha....

Cheers!
This is precisely the information I was seeking when I mentioned finding out “around” what temperature my DCQ pot was fired.

I had no intentions of knowing the exact degree, but rather if it was low, medium, or high fired. Being that you noted DCQ can behave differently based on firing temperature.

I wanted to further understand this in order to make an informed decision regarding tea pairing.

Just a guy trying to learn, didn’t mean to set off any fires 🔥
steanze
Vendor

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 am

TeaTotaling wrote:

This is precisely the information I was seeking when I mentioned finding out “around” what temperature my DCQ pot was fired.

I had no intentions of knowing the exact degree, but rather if it was low, medium, or high fired. Being that you noted DCQ can behave differently based on firing temperature.

I wanted to further understand this in order to make an informed decision regarding tea pairing.

Makes sense, I think it is good that you asked, I hope everyone feels welcome to ask questions :) Collectors talk about the approximate firing level quite often - in particular when looking at antiques, some pots can be underfired, and at very high firing in some clays you can see "firing bubbles". I like pots with firing bubbles, they often do well with tea in my experience. All else equal, they tend to be a bit less "muting" (that's not good or bad per se, it depends on what tea you want to make and what result you want to get out of it). The approximate firing level is a relevant consideration especially when buying antique pots. As @Yann Zisha Gallery says, the exact degree is not important. Also, if the teapot is fired correctly, I agree with @Yann Zisha Gallery that often the firing level is not as important for determining the value of the pot - the value will largely depend on the level of craftsmanship and the author, on the rarity and age of the piece, and on the type of clay.
OCTO

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:05 am

steanze wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 am
TeaTotaling wrote:

Makes sense, I think it is good that you asked, I hope everyone feels welcome to ask questions :) Collectors talk about the approximate firing level quite often - in particular when looking at antiques, some pots can be underfired, and at very high firing in some clays you can see "firing bubbles". I like pots with firing bubbles, they often do well with tea in my experience. All else equal, they tend to be a bit less "muting" (that's not good or bad per se, it depends on what tea you want to make and what result you want to get out of it). The approximate firing level is a relevant consideration especially when buying antique pots. As Yann Zisha Gallery says, the exact degree is not important. Also, if the teapot is fired correctly, I agree with Yann Zisha Gallery that often the firing level is not as important for determining the value of the pot - the value will largely depend on the level of craftsmanship and the author, on the rarity and age of the piece, and on the type of clay.
I echo @steanze's sentiments..... We hope everyone feels free to ask questions and not be intimidated by seniors or vendors alike. I believe the general consensus is for us to share information and our learnings with each other. I on the other hand, don't like to see firing bubbles.... it's like a pimple / zit on my handsome face.... hahahahaha.... Preferences may differ, but the love and respect for a common cup of tea make us no different from each other.

Just my 2cents.

Cheers!
TeaTotaling

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am

@steanze
@OCTO

Much appreciated, thank you for the insight, and reassurance.

I in no way was using this information to assess the value of my teapot, but rather it’s ideal tea pairing. It is priceless in my eyes, a true work of art. I am incredibly thankful for it.

I was finding it to be slightly more muting than my LQER Zini, but not by much. I had tried Young Sheng and Darker Oolong, but felt it shaved a little too much off the higher notes. I have found it works well with Aged Sheng > 5 years.

Being naturally curious, and desiring knowledge and truth, I didn’t want to assume anything. I wanted to see if I was on the right track, and it made sense to inquire about firing temperature as it relates to porosity. Sometimes the mind, and palate, can play tricks. Especially for a young student early on in their tea journey.

I prefer to stay enlightened, not ignorant.

“Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Oh, I get high with a little help from my friends
Yes, I get by with a little help from my friends
With a little help from my friends.”