Yixing advice

m2193

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:56 pm

@polezaivsani

Interesting! Thank you!
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:07 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @m2193. Agree with @polezaivsani advice. If you do need to reset look inside Repair & Cleaning forum, many threads regarding resetting teaware in there. One thing I always do after finishing a session is rinse Yixing with boiling water, let water sit a few minutes before discarding to thoroughly heat teapot, pat dry and allow to completely dry before placing lid back on pot.
medroses

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:17 am

Approximately how many times do you use a yixing teapot before it is well seasoned and you would use it with really high end tea?

I blindly bought and have been using this teapot for yancha for about a month. I got a zhuni teapot because I had read that they won't absorb too much flavor from the tea, but after using it close to everyday for a month, it still "rounds" the flavor of the tea so much.

For reference, I seasoned the teapot in tea for a few hours after I received it. After I'm done brewing, I let the leaves sit in the teapot for a few hours, then knock the leaves out and let it dry without rinsing it.

It is great for lesser quality yancha that is too roasted for me, but I feel like it brews really high quality yancha worse than a gaiwan. Is my yixing not seasoned enough, or inferior clay, or is this just the nature of yixing? I realize that this isn't an f1/f2 teapot so I worry about the clay quality as well.
Youzi

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:07 pm

medroses wrote:
Approximately how many times do you use a yixing teapot before it is well seasoned and you would use it with really high end tea?

I blindly bought and have been using this teapot for yancha for about a month. I got a zhuni teapot because I had read that they won't absorb too much flavor from the tea, but after using it close to everyday for a month, it still "rounds" the flavor of the tea so much.

For reference, I seasoned the teapot in tea for a few hours after I received it. After I'm done brewing, I let the leaves sit in the teapot for a few hours, then knock the leaves out and let it dry without rinsing it.

It is great for lesser quality yancha that is too roasted for me, but I feel like it brews really high quality yancha worse than a gaiwan. Is my yixing not seasoned enough, or inferior clay, or is this just the nature of yixing? I realize that this isn't an f1/f2 teapot so I worry about the clay quality as well.
It's unglazed clay. It'll always have an effect. Zhuni has the smallest effect, but it still changes the tea compared to a Gaiwan. For really high end yancha, I think only porcelain is the way to go.
steanze
Vendor

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:08 pm

medroses wrote:

hmm that's odd. Might be that particular clay. Good zhuni usually rounds very little.
TeaTotaling

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:42 pm

@medroses I brew Yancha in Zhuni, as well. I observe a smoother and thicker mouthfeel, with a more concentrated aroma and flavor. Definitely no muting, and only the slightest rounding off the top. Sounds like the clay. You should have opted for the “Antique 19th Century Yixing "Li Pi" Zhuni Chinese Teapot (梨皮朱泥)” for $7,999.95. Guaranteed, the finest Zhuni I have ever seen :lol:
medroses

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 pm

steanze wrote:
hmm that's odd. Might be that particular clay. Good zhuni usually rounds very little.
TeaTotaling wrote:
medroses I brew Yancha in Zhuni, as well. I observe a smoother and thicker mouthfeel, with a more concentrated aroma and flavor. Definitely no muting, and only the slightest rounding off the top. Sounds like the clay. You should have opted for the “Antique 19th Century Yixing "Li Pi" Zhuni Chinese Teapot (梨皮朱泥)” for $7,999.95. Guaranteed, the finest Zhuni I have ever seen :lol:
If the clay is indeed the issue, can anybody recommend places to get sub 90ml teapots made of quality clay for less than ludicrous prices? Like <$300, I can't afford to drop like 1K on a 60s factory 1 pot, as much as I'd like to lol.

Thank you all for your help btw!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Agreed. Zhuni is the best option if you want everything the tea has too offer, but slightly more harmonious than in porcelain. @Youzi agree to disagree :mrgreen:

If the pot in question does mute a lot, it’s either not real Zhuni, or hasn’t been properly fired. Zhuni doesn’t need any break in time, it should work from the start.
OCTO

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Youzi wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:07 pm
It's unglazed clay. It'll always have an effect. Zhuni has the smallest effect, but it still changes the tea compared to a Gaiwan. For really high end yancha, I think only porcelain is the way to go.
Absolutely agree with @Youzi 👍🏻👍🏻
Last edited by Victoria on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: cleaned up quote
26uk

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 pm

medroses wrote:

If the clay is indeed the issue, can anybody recommend places to get sub 90ml teapots made of quality clay for less than ludicrous prices? Like <$300, I can't afford to drop like 1K on a 60s factory 1 pot, as much as I'd like to lol.

I would stick with porcelain. Every clay teapot is different, that's why they say the teapot picks the tea, not the other way.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 pm

26uk wrote:
I would stick with porcelain. Every clay teapot is different, that's why they say the teapot picks the tea, not the other way.
But you are forgetting one thing: all porcelain is also not the same... :lol:

Old/new, Japanese/Chinese/European, Jingdezhen/Dehua/Chaozhou, thin/thick, glazed/unglazed, etc. – you get the picture.
26uk

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 am

Interestingly I have a porcelain gaiwan that mutes slightly. But it's handmade, might be the reason.
DailyTX

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:32 am

26uk wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:47 am
Interestingly I have a porcelain gaiwan that mutes slightly. But it's handmade, might be the reason.
Maybe a glass gaiwan will help? :D
OCTO

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:28 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 pm
26uk wrote:
But you are forgetting one thing: all porcelain is also not the same... :lol:

Old/new, Japanese/Chinese/European, Jingdezhen/Dehua/Chaozhou, thin/thick, glazed/unglazed, etc. – you get the picture.
@Bok ...... ssshhhhhh :roll: :roll: :roll: that's another rabbit hole for another day.....
TeaTotaling

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:26 am

medroses wrote:
steanze wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
medroses I brew Yancha in Zhuni, as well. I observe a smoother and thicker mouthfeel, with a more concentrated aroma and flavor. Definitely no muting, and only the slightest rounding off the top. Sounds like the clay. You should have opted for the “Antique 19th Century Yixing "Li Pi" Zhuni Chinese Teapot (梨皮朱泥)” for $7,999.95. Guaranteed, the finest Zhuni I have ever seen :lol:

I sent you a PM. Also, I do have a very nice 80ml 60's Hongni that could be available, if it would ever be a realistic option for you.