What are some indicators of a good teapot?

Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:35 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 pm
What are some key indicators a pot is under-fired?
Low pitch. Light weight. Light colour.

Not for all clays the same, but those are rough indications.
OCTO

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:07 am

Bok wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:

I must add that an under fired teapot is not necessarily an indicator of a bad teapot. Sometimes, a lot boils down to the user's knowledge and ability to make an under fired teapot shine. It can also brew a very good cup of tea, if you have the patience and knowledge to explore and experiment with it.

Cheers!
hopeofdawn

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:48 am

Personal criteria for a good teapot (note that this is not limited to yixing), from most important to least:

#1. Safety. If I suspect it has adulterated glazes or clay, then it's automatically a bad pot. Thankfully less of an issue these days for most countries with proper food safety regulations, but can still be a concern, especially for antiques.

#2. Handling. Does it fit well in the hand? Can I fit at least one finger through the handle, even on very tiny pots? Or if it doesn't have a traditional back handle, then is it designed so that I can fill, lift, and pour with a minimum of scorched fingers and awkwardness? (Traditional western pots seem to be particularly bad in this regard)

#3. Material and craftsmanship. Is it well made, with walls of appropriate thickness for the types of tea I like to drink? Does it pour cleanly, with little to no dribbling, and is the spout positioned so that the pot can be filled and the tea poured without it also dribbling out from the top? (I have one Korean teapot that is almost impossible to use without spilling tea because of this issue--it is very frustrating.)

#4. Aesthetics. Last on my list, but still important, IMHO. Is it pleasing to the eye as well as functional? Does it have a particular shape, or engraving, or glaze that is unique and beautiful? If so, that will often be the deciding factor for me.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:58 am

@hopeofdawn one thing I’d like to add: antique glazes can have toxic substances issues, antique clay does not. That would be more of an issue for vintage teapots and their clay.
hopeofdawn

Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm

This is very true--I forgot to clarify there. I'd be more worried about modern pots with adulterated clay, and antique pots with non-food-safe glazes.
TeaTotaling

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 am

OCTO wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:07 am
Bok wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:

I must add that an under fired teapot is not necessarily an indicator of a bad teapot. Sometimes, a lot boils down to the user's knowledge and ability to make an under fired teapot shine. It can also brew a very good cup of tea, if you have the patience and knowledge to explore and experiment with it.

Cheers!
Thanks @Bok!

@OCTO Good addition! With your expertise and experience, how would you make an under-fired teapot shine? What are some good tips and possible pairings you have discovered?