Yixing

TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:22 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 am
Chadrinkincat and Mark-S, the pot in discussion that just sold went for $1,500.
My guess wasn’t wasn’t too far off. $1200
Good call, you know what’s up. Must be that ZAG premium tax, haha 😆
Noonie

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Noonie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:16 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:31 am
Noonie Any idea what type of clay the 80’s teapot you were referencing is?
I bought it a few months ago online from Chinese Tea Shop (Vancouver). I noticed them mentioned here and there on this forum.

It was the Old Yixing 1980's "JuLun Zhu" Chinese Teapot (巨輪珠). They have a couple left on the site if you wanted to look. The one I see in the photo is the same as mine.

https://thechineseteashop.com/collectio ... A%E7%8F%A0

I brewed a ripe in it this morning that I recently opened. This cake was a mix of leaf grade, with very little of the tiny particles. Carefully using the tips mentioned here it was a more enjoyable session than previously used with this pot. I got about 8 steeps from the tea and the taste was quite good in comparison to yesterday's session with the Gaiwan.
After initially complaining about leaking around the lid, and more carefully incorporating the tips mentioned here plus a few I've been experimenting with, I really have this pot working well with Ripe Pu'erh. I did a side by side the other day (with a Gaiwan) and the yixing pot was noticeably better IMO. More complex, a little deeper/richer in flavour. Might be one of the first times I noticed a discernible difference between clay and porcelain in the cup (where it counts!).
Balthazar

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:14 pm

pantry wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:59 pm
Tested my benshan duanni pot on a traditional muzha TGY today. Not bad at all! It allows tea to be more forgiving to brew. I think my favorite tea on this pot is still a green. Wonder if I was influenced by the beautiful contrast of the light green and light yellow colors, which biased my judgement :lol:
Makes sense. Jing Tea Shop has recommended pairing greens with duanni (or benshan lvni) for as long as I can remember (e.g.). I actually haven't tried that pairing myself. Almost never drink Chinese green tea but I've got some now, so maybe I'll do something about that. :)
steanze
Vendor

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Noonie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 pm

After initially complaining about leaking around the lid, and more carefully incorporating the tips mentioned here plus a few I've been experimenting with, I really have this pot working well with Ripe Pu'erh. I did a side by side the other day (with a Gaiwan) and the yixing pot was noticeably better IMO. More complex, a little deeper/richer in flavour. Might be one of the first times I noticed a discernible difference between clay and porcelain in the cup (where it counts!).
I am really happy to hear that the suggestions worked! Enjoy :)
TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:19 pm

pantry wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 am

TeaTotaling
OCTO
Tested my benshan duanni pot on a traditional muzha TGY today. Not bad at all! It allows tea to be more forgiving to brew. I think my favorite tea on this pot is still a green. Wonder if I was influenced by the beautiful contrast of the light green and light yellow colors, which biased my judgement :lol:
Glad to hear! I bet that TGY turned out extra creamy, and smooth.

I keep hearing Green and Duanni are a great match, the color contrast is certainly appealing, as you mentioned. I would, but even after a few Shou brews my Duanni is already smelling earthy, like a walk through the forest! 🌲🍃🍁
Janice

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:14 pm

I’d like to buy an yixing pot that’s about 80 to 85 ml primarily for brewing young to middle-aged sheng. A modern pot is fine and I prefer simple shapes w/o decoration. I’ve tried reading through this thread and then looking at some of the shops that are mentioned. I end up dazed by all the conflicting claims and wide rangE of Prices.

**I need to avoid becoming a student/collector of yixing as I already have TAD** and the overflowing cabinets to prove it.
TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Janice wrote:
I’d like to buy an yixing pot that’s about 80 to 85 ml primarily for brewing young to middle-aged sheng. A modern pot is fine and I prefer simple shapes w/o decoration. I’ve tried reading through this thread and then looking at some of the shops that are mentioned. I end up dazed by all the conflicting claims and wide rangE of Prices.

**I need to avoid becoming a student/collector of yixing as I already have TAD** and the overflowing cabinets to prove it.
Yea, it can make your head spin 🙃 What’s your price range?
Janice

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:40 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Janice wrote:

I didn’t put in a price range because I’d like to narrow my options first. I could be wrong (probably am) but I thought the price range for modern pots would be narrower than for antiques. I’m not opposed to an older pot but I’m more interested in the impact on brewing than the historical value.
pantry

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Janice wrote:

After some trials and errors, I found that for younger sheng I need at least 95ml teapot to make a decent brew. (Gaiwan can be smaller because of its shape.) Especially if you drink higher quality tea with larger leaves, there's just not enough room for the leaves to expand. Even my 95-100ml pots still seem somewhat restrictive for the tea. Besides, your options become more limited when you go below 100ml. Most of the 70-85ml pots I see are Zhuni, hong ni, and chaozhou pots which I think cater more to the oolong folks.

Generally a 100ml pot brews about 70-80ml of young raw tea. 80-85ml pots aren't impossible, but just be extra careful about the pot shape.

Edit: M&L has a few zini shuiping right now (70 and 80ml). Not sure how well that works though.
TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Janice wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:40 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Janice wrote:

I didn’t put in a price range because I’d like to narrow my options first. I could be wrong (probably am) but I thought the price range for modern pots would be narrower than for antiques. I’m not opposed to an older pot but I’m more interested in the impact on brewing than the historical value.
Okay, do you have any experience with a Yixing Teapot?

Personally, I have found my older pots to be the most impactful on brewing. They really hit the sweet spot with respect to performance. A good starter pot is a must before further exploration, in my opinion. A wise guru in the thread previously stated, "Buy less, buy better". Keep looking, keep researching. Right now it probably feels overwhelming, but time and knowledge will be your friends.

Like @pantry recommended M&L might be a good place to start, also Yinchen seems like good starting material, Chanting Pines would serve you well too, and Essence of Tea might have some quality offerings. I only have experience with CP, and I am pleased thus far. I'm sure there are others that can be recommended by the great community. These four should give you some solid material to peruse, though.

Take Care, Be Well.
.m.

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Janice wrote:

Here's one that doesn't ruin the wallet:
http://2088taiwan.com//index.php?route= ... uct_id=138
pantry

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 pm

.m. wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm
Here's one that doesn't ruin the wallet:
http://2088taiwan.com//index.php?route= ... uct_id=138
Ooh, that’s a reasonable price! Correct me if I’m wrong, but flower mud indicates no traces of Barium Carbonate remained in the clay when made, is that right?

There’s also a new vendor making a round on IG called Yann Zisha that could be an alternative to Yinchen.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 pm

pantry wrote:
There’s also a new vendor making a round on IG called Yann Zisha that could be an alternative to Yinchen.
some more smart young guns seem to have realised the goldmine that IG influencing is... :lol:
Mark-S

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

pantry wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but flower mud indicates no traces of Barium Carbonate remained in the clay when made, is that right?
I am wondering how you could know that.
pantry

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:33 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 pm
some more smart young guns seem to have realised the goldmine that IG influencing is... :lol:
Indeed!

@Janice
I made a few orders from her and have been more than satisfied. However, i lack the expertise and experiences that other seniors here do, please take my comments with a grain of salt.

@Mark-S
Because potters add barium carbonate to prevent flower mud