Yixing

Chadrinkincat

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:52 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:34 pm
Mark-S wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:15 am
What can you tell me about this teapot? Is this tourist junk (again :D )? I could not find a reference online.
I bought it because of the interesting looking spout and ornaments (a lion?).
Unfortunately, it has a bad lid fit, I could not see online. The clay is not bad though.

Off topic: Is it ok to post more than 3 pictures?
Mark-S
Interesting pot you got there, I typically see those pots with color enamel. There are quite a few of them on eBay. The creature I believe it’s call Bìxié or Xie, a somewhat common mythical creature in jade carving. The spout should be a single horned dragon head that broken and repaired. I have one that’s with enamel, and minor chip on the spout. I can post some pictures when I am back home.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3197775005
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 pm

While this one looks obviously fake, the one above still has a chance of being something else. But I do find those “fancy” styles more difficult to authenticate… so don’t quote me on it :)
Mark-S

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:34 pm
Mark-S
Interesting pot you got there, I typically see those pots with color enamel. There are quite a few of them on eBay. The creature I believe it’s call Bìxié or Xie, a somewhat common mythical creature in jade carving. The spout should be a single horned dragon head that broken and repaired. I have one that’s with enamel, and minor chip on the spout. I can post some pictures when I am back home.
Interesting, some pictures would be nice. :) I would like to know how the spout had looked before someone broke it.
Bok wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:42 pm
Worth of note as well, that -if- it’s old, the spout cap likely contains some lead, so the pot will be unsafe to use... the clay on these kind of pots is often under fired and will sometimes perform poorly with many teas. You might think it’s hongni but it’s probably not.
Thanks for the warning. I will clean it carefully, and test it for lead afterwards. I reckon, that it is not possible to remove the metal replacement without damaging the pot? (Would you try it if it contains lead?)

I thought that the clay would be zini and not hongni or any other clay. :o What tea could I brew in it if the clay is under fired?

This question is probably hard to answer, but how much would you pay for such a pot (if it is authentic)? I paid about $33 for it. And how much would you pay for an average green label factory pot? I already got some pretty inexpensive. (I will show them soon. ;) ) It is hard to find information on this topic.
Mark-S

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thanks for the warning. I will clean it carefully, and test it for lead afterwards. I reckon, that it is not possible to remove the metal replacement without damaging the pot? (Would you try it if it contains lead?)

I thought that the clay would be zini and not hongni or any other clay. :o What tea could I brew in it if the clay is under fired?
I would not try to remove it, more likely to damage it than anything. And chances are that the craftsman who did it, did it better than you will be able to replace it. If it contains lead, then it will just have to be a display piece…

Under-fired clay is sometimes good for low-mid quality teas: Too much roast, bitter etc. Basically, teas that have something unpleasant that can be helped with it.

If it is something pre-factory, it will be worth at least a 0 more to what you paid… in that case congrats! If it’s not, then its worth one 0 less than what you paid ;)
Mark-S wrote:
This question is probably hard to answer, but how much would you pay for such a pot (if it is authentic)? I paid about $33 for it. And how much would you pay for an average green label factory pot? I already got some pretty inexpensive. (I will show them soon. ;) ) It is hard to find information on this topic.
I can not really answer that question… where I am sitting, a green label will cost you very little, it is actually not even considered collectable. People just use it, as it is still on the limit of the considered safe clays before they started messing with the clay.
.m.

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Looks like one of the ROC export pots. Is that a "neiziwaihong" (hongni coated zisha)?
Chadrinkincat

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:55 pm

.m. wrote:
Looks like one of the ROC export pots. Is that a "neiziwaihong" (hongni coated zisha)?
Color of these photos definitely seems off but it looks like it might be a low quality nzwh export pot. Seems like it would’ve been a lot of work to fake a pot like this that likely wouldn’t be worth much anyway. I could be wrong though.
Mark-S

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Bok wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 pm
I can not really answer that question… where I am sitting, a green label will cost you very little, it is actually not even considered collectable. People just use it, as it is still on the limit of the considered safe clays before they started messing with the clay.
Thanks for the useful information. I will use it for decoration only then if it contains lead.

Oh, that's a bummer since they are very expensive in Europe. How much is "very little"? Perhaps I should go there in vacation sometime. :mrgreen: Here they even sell modern pots for more than $300. So I guess you would not use any modern pots? Or just the ones from sellers that can be trusted?
Chadrinkincat

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:01 pm

@bok
Any thoughts on why ZAG sells many their green label pots for $$$? Does Singapore value green label more than TW?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:01 pm
@bok
Any thoughts on why ZAG sells many their green label pots for $$$? Does Singapore value green label more than TW?
I can not really explain that. Some collector friends from there I talked to, do not value them at all. Singpore is an expensive place. On the other hand, considerably older pots are not necessarily proportionally much more expensive in their shop I remember a ROC Zhuni for 1000$, which is only double that of green label SP...

Some of it might have to do with ease of authentification? Easier to be sure it is real. In Taiwan, a lot of 60/70s pots can sometimes go for proportionally much higher prices than pre-factory pots, simply because people know they are real. Weird.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm
Oh, that's a bummer since they are very expensive in Europe. How much is "very little"? Perhaps I should go there in vacation sometime. :mrgreen: Here they even sell modern pots for more than $300. So I guess you would not use any modern pots? Or just the ones from sellers that can be trusted?
I only have one 90s left in my collection, too many old pots to feel the need :mrgreen:
Trouble is, even if you get to Asia to look for them, you still need to be able to spot them among the rest. Not so easy, also Taiwan is one of the places with the most fakes around. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 100$ for a green label.

But if forced to choose to spend 300$ I'd rather buy a modern well made modern Yixing(or Japanese pot) than a green label. They are badly made and ugly in proportions.
Chadrinkincat

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:43 pm

@Bok
The Yixing market seems like a rather strange place. I love F1 pots but not sure I’d rather have one instead of a similarly priced ROC pot.

I must have lower quality taste than you cuz I actually like the aesthetic of green label period. Though I think there are some very wonky pots during this period so it probably depends a lot on batches.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
The Yixing market seems like a rather strange place. I love F1 pots but not sure I’d rather have one instead of a similarly priced ROC pot.
I am pretty sure, you won't look twice back at them if you lay your hands on ROC :mrgreen:
Happened to me, my previously treasured green label Biandeng has become my travel pot. Lucky I spent enough time with it before, so it has a nice patina nonetheless.

Chadrinkincat wrote:
I must have lower quality taste than you cuz I actually like the aesthetic of green label period. Though I think there are some very wonky pots during this period so it probably depends a lot on batches.
It's true it has a certain vibe to it, that is not without it's charm. I think it depends on the shapes in particular. Classic Shuiping is a good example of what I meant: The fat, un-seemly rim of the lids are no match for the earlier factory pots, although 60s is still wonky, but in a more refined way.
DailyTX

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:08 pm

.m. wrote:
Since we are talking about exported pot, anyone know if the glaze on those pot would fracture over time? Like crackle glaze? I remembered my pot also has a bird similar to that one, but the clay color looks more like Qing shui ni. The glaze on the bird has inner fractures, and a few tiny holes that don’t look like chips.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:16 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:08 pm
Since we are talking about exported pot, anyone know if the glaze on those pot would fracture over time? Like crackle glaze? I remembered my pot also has a bird similar to that one, but the clay color looks more like Qing shui ni. The glaze on the bird has inner fractures, and a few tiny holes that don’t look like chips.
Like anything applied to a surface it is prone to abrasion and crackling is not excluded. The tiny holes might be bubbles formed when fired? Or impurities underneath the came up in the kiln? Got a picture?