Yixing

Bok
Vendor

Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:04 am

klepto wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:00 am
The lid is loose, and if I pour too much water in the pot tea leaks out of the top of the lid. Jinkies!!
It passed my water taste test and the Tie Lou Han was amazeballs!!
Basic tipp for JLZ, never fill to the brim. And push the lid to the front edge when pouring 8-)
Youzi

Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 am

@Bac
Was that "Lao Zhuni" pot sold to you as an antique?
Bac

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 pm

@Chadrinkincat Actually got it from another auction house, origin was netherlands.

@YouziYes, seller claimed it to be from RoC era, some "Expert" on the matter had evaluated it beforehand, but pictures were not exhaustive, and barely shown the inside of the pots.
All in all i don't even know if it is made of "Lao zhuni" or if it is actually zisha, surely at least it resembles zisha.....

I am trying to contact seller, and auction house, to get a second evaluation.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 pm

Bac wrote:
All in all i don't even know if it is made of "Lao zhuni" or if it is actually zisha, surely at least it resembles zisha.....
European auction houses often don’t have the faintest clue of antique Yixing...

Not in any world can this even remotely be Zhuni. Some sort of modern clay blend, doesn’t even look like pure Zisha.
Youzi

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 am

Bac wrote:
Chadrinkincat Actually got it from another auction house, origin was netherlands.

YouziYes, seller claimed it to be from RoC era, some "Expert" on the matter had evaluated it beforehand, but pictures were not exhaustive, and barely shown the inside of the pots.

It can't be lao zhuni, because lao zhuni isn't a type of zhuni or a type of clay. And zhuni is also zisha, as everything is zisha that comes from yixing. However probably what you thinking of is zini, which is the purple, brownish clay.

I'm not sure what color that pot has, but looks modern, made in old style, fashion.

Not sure if it's intended to be a fake or just someone from europe saw it and thought, "oh, this looks old enough, so good enough to fool some people".
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:23 am

@Youzi if someone purposely adds hand-made marks on a mold made pot, the intention to deceive is pretty obvious...
.m.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 am

Bac wrote:
Chadrinkincat Actually got it from another auction house, origin was netherlands.

YouziYes, seller claimed it to be from RoC era, some "Expert" on the matter had evaluated it beforehand, but pictures were not exhaustive, and barely shown the inside of the pots.

Lot of auction houses inspect the items but don't provide any guarantee of authenticity because sometimes it can be hard to validate things (e.g. high end fakes of imperial porcelain), and often they are just an intermediary between the seller and the buyer... Good luck! In the end, it might still make a good cup of tea.
Youzi

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 am

Bok wrote:
Youzi if someone purposely adds hand-made marks on a mold made pot, the intention to deceive is pretty obvious...
what makes you think it's a slip cast or not full/half hand pot?

I'm not confident to declare it as anything, so I wonder what things you are looking at.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 am

Youzi wrote:
Bok wrote:
Youzi if someone purposely adds hand-made marks on a mold made pot, the intention to deceive is pretty obvious...

I'm not confident to declare it as anything, so I wonder what things you are looking at.
It might be half hand made, but 100% not fully handmade. Inside tells you everything... should be easy enough for an Yixing professional to see the difference ;)
Youzi

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:29 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 am
Youzi wrote:
Bok wrote:

It might be half hand made, but 100% not fully handmade. Inside tells you everything... should be easy enough for an Yixing professional to see the difference ;)
I'm not an yixing professional. The only thing I miss the most from that pot Is the mark where they attach the bottom to the wall, there should be a line of "glue clay", but other than that, I'm not sure what to look at. Mind you explain the other things you see?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 am

Youzi wrote:

I'm not an yixing professional. The only thing I miss the most from that pot Is the mark where they attach the bottom to the wall, there should be a line of "glue clay?
That’s the dead sure proof it can’t be handmade. If something as major as this is missing, you can stop looking for other clues. But the shine and clay already disqualifies it as an old pot.

The rest is for another audience :)
Youzi

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:55 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 am
Youzi wrote:

I'm not an yixing professional. The only thing I miss the most from that pot Is the mark where they attach the bottom to the wall, there should be a line of "glue clay?
That’s the dead sure proof it can’t be handmade. If something as major as this is missing, you can stop looking for other clues. But the shine and clay already disqualifies it as an old pot.

The rest is for another audience :)
Yeah, from the shine and the look of the clay it's clearly a modern pot, so that's what makes me think that it can't be a fake antique, because it's too obviously modern.

What do you think about the horizontal circular scratches on the lower part of the wall of the teapot? What does that tell?

To me this teapot looks less likely to be half hand than it is full hand, and it's definitely not a slip cast neither. My main guess would a locomotive, but usually they use different't clay for those.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:24 am

Well the fakers come in different qualities as well... some just count on the ignorance of the customers, or they lack the necessary knowledge themselves. Quality control is always an issue in China, so that goes for the ones in shady businesses as well I guess.
klepto

Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:24 pm

I noticed something tonight, the other day I brewed some yancha with my lqer pot and today I brewed it with some run of the mill porcelain gaiwan. The lqer pot gave it more body, it was a measurable difference. TBH it tasted a bit better too :mrgreen:
Bok
Vendor

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:06 am

klepto wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:24 pm
I noticed something tonight, the other day I brewed some yancha with my lqer pot and today I brewed it with some run of the mill porcelain gaiwan. The lqer pot gave it more body, it was a measurable difference. TBH it tasted a bit better too :mrgreen:
Told ya 8-)