Yixing

Mafaldine

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 pm

My pot was cheap with a replacement lid from Emmett, it's definitely a workhorse. Lid fit is obviously kind of wonky but it works well in the right position. A good yancha pot for splitting 8g bags in half, since it's only 60ml.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Mafaldine wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 pm
My pot was cheap with a replacement lid from Emmett, it's definitely a workhorse. Lid fit is obviously kind of wonky but it works well in the right position. A good yancha pot for splitting 8g bags in half, since it's only 60ml.
A good workhorse pot. If the yancha is very good though, I'd use zhuni/hongni if possible ;) you can push it really hard in porcelain and see whether it gets rough, or whether it gets intense but smooth/round. If it gets rough, then maybe zini is needed. I know someone around here who drinks amazing yancha and in my view that level goes better in zhuni/hongni so one can appreciate the full nuances :D
Last edited by steanze on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mafaldine

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm

Workhorse pot for workhorse tea too :P And yes definitely, anything fancy goes in hongni. Though lately, everything just goes in hongni.
Chadrinkincat

Fri May 01, 2020 5:54 am

@steanze @OCTO

Nice pots!
OCTO

Fri May 01, 2020 6:04 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:54 am
steanze OCTO

Nice pots!
TQ @Chadrinkincat 😊😊
Bok
Vendor

Fri May 01, 2020 6:06 am

steanze wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:27 pm
OCTO wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:20 pm
steanze

Do allow me to chip in....

Not really the best lighting... rather soft but sufficient lighting to see the clay character.

Cheers!
Nice pot! Exceptionally well-made spout on this one, good find!
Mr @OCTO doesn’t do half cooked pots :)
hopeofdawn

Sun May 03, 2020 1:13 am

My pot from @mudandleaves finally arrived! I ordered it towards the end of March, and the outer box was rather worn and dented in places ... you could definitely tell it had been sitting for a while in a pile of packages somewhere, and I was afraid it might have damaged the delicate portions of the pot. But I needn't have worried--there was about an inch of bubble wrap, then a cushioned decorative box, then a fabric bag, and finally another inch of well-taped bubble wrap around the entire pot. I think they would have had to crush the entire package to damage the pot. As it was, I had to be very careful about snipping loose that last layer of bubble wrap--it was wrapped very tightly! :)

I had been looking for a round, three-footed pot for quite some time--there are always a few out on the market, but none of them were aesthetically very pleasing to me. But this one was just so elegant and well-balanced, I couldn't resist. I have two sessions with it so far, one with a honey orchid phoenix oolong and one with a raw white puerh, and it delivered a lovely brew and preserved the fragrance notes on both.
footiepot.png
footiepot.png (391.02 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
OCTO

Sun May 03, 2020 1:22 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
My pot from mudandleaves finally arrived! I ordered it towards the end of March, and the outer box was rather worn and dented in places ... you could definitely tell it had been sitting for a while in a pile of packages somewhere, and I was afraid it might have damaged the delicate portions of the pot. But I needn't have worried--there was about an inch of bubble wrap, then a cushioned decorative box, then a fabric bag, and finally another inch of well-taped bubble wrap around the entire pot. I think they would have had to crush the entire package to damage the pot. As it was, I had to be very careful about snipping loose that last layer of bubble wrap--it was wrapped very tightly! :)

I had been looking for a round, three-footed pot for quite some time--there are always a few out on the market, but none of them were aesthetically very pleasing to me. But this one was just so elegant and well-balanced, I couldn't resist. I have two sessions with it so far, one with a honey orchid phoenix oolong and one with a raw white puerh, and it delivered a lovely brew and preserved the fragrance notes on both.

@hopeofdawn

Nice pot. A general trait for HongNi or a nicely blended HongNi will almost always enhance the fragrance and aroma of the tea you brew in the pot.

Cheers!
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 1:28 am

OCTO wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:
My pot from mudandleaves finally arrived! I ordered it towards the end of March, and the outer box was rather worn and dented in places ... you could definitely tell it had been sitting for a while in a pile of packages somewhere, and I was afraid it might have damaged the delicate portions of the pot. But I needn't have worried--there was about an inch of bubble wrap, then a cushioned decorative box, then a fabric bag, and finally another inch of well-taped bubble wrap around the entire pot. I think they would have had to crush the entire package to damage the pot. As it was, I had to be very careful about snipping loose that last layer of bubble wrap--it was wrapped very tightly! :)

hopeofdawn

Nice pot. A general trait for HongNi or a nicely blended HongNi will almost always enhance the fragrance and aroma of the tea you brew in the pot.

Cheers!
I think this is a zhuni pot...
hopeofdawn

Sun May 03, 2020 3:59 am

sporad wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:28 am
OCTO wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:

hopeofdawn

Cheers!
I think this is a zhuni pot...
According to the vendor, it is zhuni, though it is also called da hong pao zhuni due to the color. I am not an expert, but it does seem to have all the qualities of zhuni as far as brewing and appearance are considered. Here is the original listing, for the curious: https://www.mudandleaves.com/store/p431 ... 0ml__.html
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 am

Yes, thank you, I considered it when I was looking at ML zhuni pots.

Can I ask you about the grey teapot in the back? I recently saw one that looked similar to it and I really liked it but got confused because I was told that it was specifically for yancha. :?:
Bok
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 7:59 am

sporad wrote:

Can I ask you about the grey teapot in the back? I recently saw one that looked similar to it and I really liked it but got confused because I was told that it was specifically for yancha. :?:
Looks like a Petr Novak pot. Not sure if I would use it for Yancha, at least not for high quality one...
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 am

Bok wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:59 am
sporad wrote:

Looks like a Petr Novak pot. Not sure if I would use it for Yancha, at least not for high quality one...
Found a pic of it. Obviously the black one in the back. (My memory is clearly not what it used to be). From what I understand it’s Chinese. But of course might be totally wrong. And while we are at it, I’ll dare to continue to pick your brain and taking advantage of your generosity, comments on the one in front?
Attachments
9D75C9F5-362F-4B81-A101-950D43365333.jpeg
9D75C9F5-362F-4B81-A101-950D43365333.jpeg (236.2 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Bok
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 8:21 am

sporad wrote:
Found a pic of it. Obviously the black one in the back. (My memory is clearly not what it used to be). From what I understand it’s Chinese. But of course might be totally wrong. And while we are at it, I’ll dare to continue to pick your brain and taking advantage of your generosity, comments on the one in front?
Pretty sure the black one is European, Jiri Ducek, maybe? But definitely not Chinese.

Not sure what other one is, something modern in a Hongni-ish clay?
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 8:26 am

Bok wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:21 am
sporad wrote:
Pretty sure the black one is European, Jiri Ducek, maybe? But definitely not Chinese.

Not sure what other one is, something modern in a Hongni-ish clay?
I will try to find out and I’ll report back. And I’ll definitely google Ducek. Thank you!

The other one is supposed to be QSN from the 80s...