Yixing

Bok
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 8:34 am

sporad wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:26 am
The other one is supposed to be QSN from the 80s...
Is the pot used? QSN should not be shiny at all, unless it has been heavily used, or it is a modern teapot... Hard to see the colour right, but it should be some sort of caramel, light brown.
hopeofdawn

Sun May 03, 2020 8:45 am

sporad wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 am
Yes, thank you, I considered it when I was looking at ML zhuni pots.

Can I ask you about the grey teapot in the back? I recently saw one that looked similar to it and I really liked it but got confused because I was told that it was specifically for yancha. :?:
@Bok is correct, it is a Petr Novak pot--it's unglazed stoneware with some really nice firing effects. I've never heard of Petr's pots being used only for yancha--I do tend to use this one more for my roasted teas, yancha and otherwise, but it's high-fired enough that I've never noticed it being particularly muting for any other kind of tea either--it's a good all-rounder pot. But then, I've never been able to taste much difference in tea between different kinds of clay--not like the difference between stoneware and porcelain, anyway--so your mileage may vary. :)

I'm not 100% sure, but the black pot in your picture does look like it might come from another Czech or European potter. I don't think it's Petr's--his always have delicately tipped spouts, rather than straight, snub-nosed ones.
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am

Bok wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:34 am
sporad wrote:
Is the pot used? QSN should not be shiny at all, unless it has been heavily used, or it is a modern teapot... Hard to see the colour right, but it should be some sort of caramel, light brown.
Might be used...
I remember it being kind of reddish, and clearly photos contribute to misremembering... I will try to go back to the store as soon as it is possible to do so. Look at the pic I found of the other (probably-)European pot in a different light, same day, same phone camera.

Look, @hopeofdawn. I guess it’s not as black... who knows now. It reminds me of what a friend used to say: I take photographs to forget.
Attachments
ED19BC6C-A902-4CAA-A9E0-EFE94F9559E1.jpeg
ED19BC6C-A902-4CAA-A9E0-EFE94F9559E1.jpeg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
steanze
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 8:56 am

sporad wrote:
The claim "from the 80s" is very suspicious... is the claim that the clay is from the 80s and the pot was made recently, or that the pot is made in the 80s as well?

I would probably not use that black pot for yancha... you can experiment, but it does not scream yancha pot to me. Pots I've tried with clay that looked like that tended to be too muting for yancha.
Bok
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 am

Pretty sure this is Jiri Ducek. He has these straight spouts, not good to use I think, will likely dribble.

As to QSN, if it is 80s it should not be so shiny, that is how modern Yixing looks like, or waxed if it is old, but that does not look waxed.
steanze
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 9:05 am

Bok wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 am
Pretty sure this is Jiri Ducek. He has these straight spouts, not good to use I think, will likely dribble.

As to QSN, if it is 80s it should not be so shiny, that is how modern Yixing looks like, or waxed if it is old, but that does not look waxed.
Could be patina from use. But the texture does not look correct for 80s qsn... and the workmanship does not seem 80s. If it's made recently, claims of "new pots with old clay" should always be taken with a grain of salt.
hopeofdawn

Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 am

sporad wrote:
Might be used...
I remember it being kind of reddish, and clearly photos contribute to misremembering... I will try to go back to the store as soon as it is possible to do so. Look at the pic I found of the other (probably-)European pot in a different light, same day, same phone camera.

Look, hopeofdawn. I guess it’s not as black... who knows now. It reminds me of what a friend used to say: I take photographs to forget.
In comparing the two pictures, they seem slightly different in shape. Are you absolutely sure they're the same pot? The color difference is also more dramatic than what a change in lighting would normally cause.

One thing I can say is that I'm almost 100% sure that neither pot was made by Petr Novak; they don't match up with anything else I've seen him produce.
steanze
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 9:26 am

Yes, I think Ducek is better guess...

often Novak's spouts look a bit different. This is an example of a Novak pot made of Yixing zini that I got for study purposes:
novak_zini_2.jpg
novak_zini_2.jpg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 9:28 am

steanze wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:56 am
sporad wrote:
The claim "from the 80s" is very suspicious... is the claim that the clay is from the 80s and the pot was made recently, or that the pot is made in the 80s as well?

I would probably not use that black pot for yancha... you can experiment, but it does not scream yancha pot to me. Pots I've tried with clay that looked like that tended to be too muting for yancha.
Next time I go in there I will ask exactly that question you are asking about the vegetable(?)-shaped teapot (I feel so much better prepared now :D Thank you!)

And regarding the other pot supposedly for yancha, it also struck me as weird, but then again I know I know nothing so I thought I simply didn’t know how to look for it.
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 9:33 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 am
sporad wrote:
Might be used...

Look, hopeofdawn. I guess it’s not as black... who knows now. It reminds me of what a friend used to say: I take photographs to forget.
In comparing the two pictures, they seem slightly different in shape. Are you absolutely sure they're the same pot? The color difference is also more dramatic than what a change in lighting would normally cause.

One thing I can say is that I'm almost 100% sure that neither pot was made by Petr Novak; they don't match up with anything else I've seen him produce.
Yes, what I am sure of is that it’s the same pot in both images. It was the only one that didn’t look Chinese made to me, so that’s why I inquired about it and was told it was (or would be) good for yancha. I think the color in reality was more like a very dark grey and this pic is very overexposed.
gradiva

Sun May 03, 2020 9:34 am

steanze wrote:

often Novak's spouts look a bit different. This is an example of a Novak pot made of Yixing zini that I got for study purposes:

Googling both now. Thank you!

Edit- Found something that looks just like it: https://www.tee-kontor-kiel.de/zubehoer ... ek-nr.jd19

It is Duchek. You were right, @Bok

(And sorry for sneaking a non-Yixing conversation to the Yixing thread)
Attachments
245EC25D-3295-4495-BEA6-C492D303A7B7.jpeg
245EC25D-3295-4495-BEA6-C492D303A7B7.jpeg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
.m.

Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 am

steanze wrote:

Interesting pot. One would never guess that being Zini. Is it high fired, reduction firing? How does it perform?
steanze
Vendor

Sun May 03, 2020 10:09 am

.m. wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 am

Interesting pot. One would never guess that being Zini. Is it high fired, reduction firing? How does it perform?
:)

it is fired on the higher end in a wood kiln, I think without protection box. It performs well, it is much less muting than other Novak pots. I think he only made 3 or 4 of these pots with a batch of zini he received from a potter friend in Yixing.
Rmt

Sun May 03, 2020 1:19 pm

I've had some fuzzy searches for teapots and teaware on a local listing service for ages. There's not much interesting stuff coming up. Some supposed yixing stuff, but most of it looks dodgy (even to my untrained eyes). However, there's one listing that has me curious. The pot looks fairly old, the clay texture looks genuine to me and I like the design. There's however some chips on it and there's a little bit missing on the lid. In addition it looks grimy, even though I expect it could be cleaned thoroughly. Anyone have an idea about age and quality?

I inquired about price a while back and it's not that pricy if it's genuine pot. I passed on it the last time as I was looking for a pot to use at the time and was unsure about authenticity and the condition. The seller had not identified it as a yixing pot back then ("chinese terracotta teapot"), but apparently has now, so the price might have gone up though...

What's the proper name of the pine tree trunk shape by the way? would love to pick up one at some point.
Mark-S

Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 am

@Rmt

The same pot was mentioned before in this forum: viewtopic.php?p=23122#p23122

-

Does anyone know if this style is from F1? The shape is cool, but I could not find it in a catalogue or online.
Attachments
Teekanne 1-02.jpeg
Teekanne 1-02.jpeg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
Teekanne 1-01.jpeg
Teekanne 1-01.jpeg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
Teekanne 2-01.jpeg
Teekanne 2-01.jpeg (111.32 KiB) Viewed 4644 times