Yixing

TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:18 pm

steanze wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:49 am
TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:39 am

There is a unique pleasure brewing in antique clay! I am really enjoying it. Although, from the get go, comparing my LQ/ER Zini to my modern Zini, I currently notice a more pronounced affect from the modern Zini.
Yes, modern zini is a bit more muting, which is why many people prefer LQER zhuni for high end teas, as it preserves the tea's qualities more. However, importantly, if the clay of the modern zini is good, the differences are comparatively small as compared to the price differences, so often if one buys an antique teapot, it is also in part a decision motivated by aesthetics/history and the enjoyment it brings to the tea session.
You got it @steanze! I love the character, and beauty of my old pots, both visually and functionally. You really feel like you have a connection to the potter, and those who have used it before you. It does bring a profound enjoyment to each session.

You nailed it. I notice more muting in my modern Zini. My antique Zini is performing on point with Aged Sheng, can’t wait to get some high quality seasoning in good time.
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Noonie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:16 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:31 am
Noonie Any idea what type of clay the 80’s teapot you were referencing is?
I bought it a few months ago online from Chinese Tea Shop (Vancouver). I noticed them mentioned here and there on this forum.

It was the Old Yixing 1980's "JuLun Zhu" Chinese Teapot (巨輪珠). They have a couple left on the site if you wanted to look. The one I see in the photo is the same as mine.

https://thechineseteashop.com/collectio ... A%E7%8F%A0

I brewed a ripe in it this morning that I recently opened. This cake was a mix of leaf grade, with very little of the tiny particles. Carefully using the tips mentioned here it was a more enjoyable session than previously used with this pot. I got about 8 steeps from the tea and the taste was quite good in comparison to yesterday's session with the Gaiwan.
Thanks!

Looks to possibly be Hongni. I have an 80’s Duanni that I’m using for Shou. I was thinking yours could have been as well, and I was curious. From the general consensus, and the beginner’s level knowledge I have, I was thinking Duanni to be much more porous. Possibly more muting as well. From my experience, the one I have does not have that affect at all!
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:37 pm

@steanze Speaking of modern Zini’s muting properties, I have decided upon Darker Oolongs for this specific one. Yesterday I put ~9 grams of fresh, nice quality Dong Ding in about 170ml. Hit it with freshly boiled water, after bringing the pot to temp, and let it sit over night so those volatile oils could soak in. Poured that cup today, and it was amazing! Buttery baked biscuits, and a unique hoppy note. Bold, yes, bitter...NO WAY! Unexpected indeed, and surprisingly delicious, smooth and rich.
gao juntao_yc
Vendor

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:20 pm

Hello everyone ! I'm the owner of yinchen studio. AKA yinchen_teapot from Instagram. I want to provide great customer service . And I'm glad to hear from you! i need your advice about our teapots and website and so on. thank you ! :D
.m.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 pm

@gao juntao_yc
Hi, it's really awesome to have you here. :)
I'd encourage you to start also a dedicated thread about Yinchen Teapot in the vendor section viewforum.php?f=30 You could post there your news/advertisement, and it would be good spot for members of the forum to ask you direct questions about the teapots and stuff (I might have a few to ask).
Mark-S

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:50 pm

Can anybody tell me more about this houhin teapot? It seems to be a Yixing pot meant for export to Japan, but I could not find more information about it.

There is a seller here who claims that his pot with the same style but different clay is from 1900, and he wants a fortune for it. I don't think that this claim ist true, but it's a really nice pot.

If you have seen this teapot in a catalog (maybe from F1 or an auction) please let me know. Hopefully, the price will drop if no one buys the pot.

https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 10#p215124
steanze
Vendor

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 pm

gao juntao_yc wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:20 pm
Hello everyone ! I'm the owner of yinchen studio. AKA yinchen_teapot from Instagram. I want to provide great customer service . And I'm glad to hear from you! i need your advice about our teapots and website and so on. thank you ! :D
Welcome!! :)
Mark-S

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am

Speaking of export pots for Japan... this is one from F1 in my opinion. I know that this type is not that popular because of the handle, but it's an interesting pot. Unfortunately with a damaged spout, but the clay is very nice. Maybe, I'll get it fixed some day with kintsugi... This pot has a 10 hole filter... I hadn't seen one before...
Attachments
IMG_20200608_130045144-01.jpeg
IMG_20200608_130045144-01.jpeg (151.75 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
steanze
Vendor

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:15 am

Mark-S wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am
Speaking of export pots for Japan... this is one from F1 in my opinion. I know that this type is not that popular because of the handle, but it's an interesting pot. Unfortunately with a damaged spout, but the clay is very nice. Maybe, I'll get it fixed some day with kintsugi... This pot has a 10 hole filter... I hadn't seen one before...
Did you post it on the Early Teapots group? F1 did make side handle teapots, but I haven't seen one with that kind of lid knob and handle decoration before. i am a bit skeptical.
Mark-S

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:36 pm

@steanze

Nope, not yet. I have to clean it first. In about three days I can ask them. I also have not seen an identical pot online. That's what makes it interesting to me. However, I am 99% sure that this is a F1 pot. From the clay it could be a 70's pot. These huge pots with a bamboo handle have a similar knob.
Attachments
IMG_20200608_192312365-01.jpeg
IMG_20200608_192312365-01.jpeg (148.96 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
DailyTX

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:50 pm
Can anybody tell me more about this houhin teapot? It seems to be a Yixing pot meant for export to Japan, but I could not find more information about it.

@Mark-S
You are right about the export, and F1 made zisha houhin as well. Here is one for sale at antique price:

https://thechineseteashop.com/collectio ... e-teapot-2

The owner has a nicer one in this own collection. You can look at the shop’s Facebook page.

F1 houhins are taller. From what I learned, F1 made them with duanni, zini, neiziwaihong.
Mark-S

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:07 pm

DailyTX wrote:
You are right about the export, and F1 made zisha houhin as well. Here is one for sale at antique price:

The owner has a nicer one in this own collection. You can look at the shop’s Facebook page.

F1 houhins are taller. From what I learned, F1 made them with duanni, zini, neiziwaihong.
Nice, thanks for this information. I think the pot from the seller here could also be from the early 20th century and not from F1 (or 1900 as he claims) then. The clay and style look similar, but I have not seen the teapot in person yet.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:07 pm
DailyTX wrote:

Nice, thanks for this information. I think the pot from the seller here could also be from the early 20th century and not from F1 (or 1900 as he claims) then. The clay and style look similar, but I have not seen the teapot in person yet.
Early 20th Century is pretty much 1900... haha

I doubt anyone could with full confidence say this is 1860/1900 or 1920 etc. Not much documentation exists and the period from late Qing to early republic is pretty much fluid in terms of style and workmanship. So... 1900 is a good as any statement.

What makes you 99% sure about the pot above? Based on a knob? Usually to be 99% sure in my book, one detail is allowed to be off and all the other indicators have to be there.
Mark-S

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Early 20th Century is pretty much 1900... haha

I doubt anyone could with full confidence say this is 1860/1900 or 1920 etc. Not much documentation exists and the period from late Qing to early republic is pretty much fluid in terms of style and workmanship. So... 1900 is a good as any statement.

What makes you 99% sure about the pot above? Based on a knob? Usually to be 99% sure in my book, one detail is allowed to be off and all the other indicators have to be there.
The seller claims that his great grandfather bought this teapot in 1900/1 during the Boxer Rebellion. I highly doubt that... but okay... I think the seller might be pissed anyway because I questioned his claim. :lol: He has other items for sale... allegedly from the same era, but some of them are from Japan and not China (in my opinion).

No, not based on a knob. This was just for @steanze. I think that because of the craftsmanship and the clay. But I'll ask in the Facebook group anyway. Hopefully, they'll approve this pot. Another of my (green label) F1 pots was removed last week and they have not told me the reason yet. It's the teacup/pot & bowl set I posted here some time ago. Before that, I did exactly the same with two other pots and they got approved. It's definitely not a fake pot, so I don't know which rule I broke. Weird...
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 pm
The seller claims that his great grandfather bought this teapot in 1900/1 during the Boxer Rebellion. I highly doubt that... but okay...
That does indeed make no sense. Those items were for the Japanese market, I doubt you could buy them in China. How much does he want for it? Not worth more than a couple of 100$ in my opinion...