Yixing

RinsedSloth

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 am

Hello everyone! Here I am to introduce you to my newly aquired teapot from @tealifehk.

This is my first yixing pot and I'm getting used to brew with it at the moment. I'm planning to use it only with aged and a bit wet sheng. In the following days I'm going to continue benchmarking it and trying everything in my pumi with it. So far the results have been amazing, love having the advantage of heat retention and the muting was just right to fade away a bit of the astringency of them while thickening the liquor a bit.

- Size: ~75ml.
- Clay: Qing Shui Ni
- Shape: Wendan
- Spout: Ball filter
- Firing temperature: High fired (not sure)
- Walls: Thick
- Pour speed: 8 sec when filled
debunix

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:14 pm

pedant wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:28 am
late 60s F1 hongni
i'm in love with the balance. shuiping geometry is legendary for a reason.

That's a gorgeous image, and a very nice pot. I can't afford to pay the closest attention to this topic, so I missed it when it was first posted.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 am

Two friends from the dragon kiln...

2018 ended very successfully for me in terms of teaware :mrgreen:
Just managed to clean those after returning from the holidays and going to start prepping and see how they perform.

Both are so called Julunzhu, as far as I know and others counseled, from the ROC period, so fully handmade and from the dragon kiln's wood-fire.

I have been admiring the simple beauty of the Julunzhu shape, the duanni one has it, since I saw it on MarshalN's blog a looooong time ago. Never would have dared to dream to own one back then! Now luck has brought me two!

The Zini is a less common version of JLZ, but actually more pretty! Both have quite good workmanship for this kind of teaware, usually they can be rather crude. This old Zini clay is completely different in tonality to later ones. A rich chocolate brown. Before cleaning the pot had a deep brown shine and patina, which is now reset. The other Zini from the 80s I have, are a lot darker. My first Zini, that I purchased and more importantly, in a shape that I really love!

I never owned a Duanni, so that is a cross on the bucket list! Seems less yellowish, slightly greyish.

Here's to an even more successful 2019!
Attachments
IMG_8346.jpg
IMG_8346.jpg (112.73 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
IMG_8345.jpg
IMG_8345.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 am

Bok wrote:

Just managed to clean those after returning from the holidays and going to start prepping and see how they perform.

Both are so called Julunzhu, as far as I know and others counseled, from the ROC period, so fully handmade and from the dragon kiln's wood-fire.

I have been admiring the simple beauty of the Julunzhu shape, the duanni one has it, since I saw it on MarshalN's blog a looooong time ago. Never would have dared to dream to own one back then! Now luck has brought me two!

The Zini is a less common version of JLZ, but actually more pretty! Both have quite good workmanship for this kind of teaware, usually they can be rather crude. This old Zini clay is completely different in tonality to later ones. A rich chocolate brown. Before cleaning the pot had a deep brown shine and patina, which is now reset. The other Zini from the 80s I have, are a lot darker. My first Zini, that I purchased and more importantly, in a shape that I really love!

I never owned a Duanni, so that is a cross on the bucket list! Seems less yellowish, slightly greyish.

Beautiful pots! I like the shape of the duanni pot, the flat lid knob really sets it apart. There are many colors of zini early and late :)
Teachronicles

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Wow, excellent find bok, or were they gifted? . I have serious teapot envy over these two :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:58 pm

@Teachronicles I guess you could almost say gifted, the price I got them for was a fraction of the market price (Asia)! I still can’t believe I got two!
OCTO

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:57 am

Bok wrote:

Congratulations @Bok !!
Chadrinkincat

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Just got this 120ml beauty. Looks to be early 70’s Hong ni. It should be an interesting comparison to the late 70’s 120ml that I’ve been using daily for the past 2.5mo.
Attachments
A53F49CB-035D-402A-86BC-3FBF37B7FE32.jpeg
A53F49CB-035D-402A-86BC-3FBF37B7FE32.jpeg (162.88 KiB) Viewed 7610 times
Teachronicles

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 pm

60s hongni

Back right, and right, respectively for first and second picture, is the pot in the first link/post. The front pot I posted earlier in the thread.

I'm posting this pot now because I'm having some yancha in a gaiwan, that I usually have in that pot. The difference is remarkable, the tea in gaiwan has a rougher mouthfeel, and is less rich than in the pot. I hadn't done extensive tests with that pot, so it's good to know I made the right choice dedicating it to yancha.
OCTO

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:19 am

With some authentic TW tea in my possession, I took the opportunity to explore the craze of matching Da Hong Pao clay with Taiwanese that peaked during the 80s and 90s.
09495C89-60B8-4001-A2BE-7A24F7C0B4DC.jpeg
09495C89-60B8-4001-A2BE-7A24F7C0B4DC.jpeg (222.88 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
Without a doubt, a good DHP pot truly brings out the best in the roasted DongDing. Sweet, Aromatic, Smooth and lasting HuiGan. Can also see the DHP teapot glow from within.

Will report further as I keep on testing the pot with different TW teas.

Cheers!!
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Went to show my latest finds to an Yixing expert, confirmed that both are at least ROC, while the Zini might even be late Qing! Examined in person, he thinks the workmanship seems to point to one of the Qing era workshops :))))
Attachments
A4BDB925-604C-4134-B6E8-21145C4D8577.jpeg
A4BDB925-604C-4134-B6E8-21145C4D8577.jpeg (114.67 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
Teachronicles

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Bok wrote:
Went to show my latest finds to an Yixing expert, confirmed that both are at least ROC, while the Zini might even be late Qing! Examined in person, he thinks the workmanship seems to point to one of the Qing era workshops :))))
Really such a beautiful pot. Very nice proportions and qing! I hope to get an ROC or Qing pot one day, that's the last on my list of yixing pots to acquire.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Really such a beautiful pot. Very nice proportions and qing! I hope to get an ROC or Qing pot one day, that's the last on my list of yixing pots to acquire.
Yes that is as well as far as I will go on my Yixing journey! Anything older becomes a serious risk in investment. The same expert also told me that he considers older than mid Qing too risky and nebulous, almost impossible to verify, yet the prices are enormous.

That pot comes pretty close to my ideal pot shape, the proportions are just perfect and the clay is something to behold in real life!
Teachronicles

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm
Teachronicles wrote:
Yes that is as well as far as I will go on my Yixing journey! Anything older becomes a serious risk in investment. The same expert also told me that he considers older than mid Qing too risky and nebulous, almost impossible to verify, yet the prices are enormous.

That pot comes pretty close to my ideal pot shape, the proportions are just perfect and the clay is something to behold in real life!
I really do enjoy that shape as well, and an often underrated aspect of yixing is the history behind it, not just behind individual pots but yixing history as a whole. It makes each session with a yixing pot a little more enjoyable. Cheers -matt
steanze
Vendor

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:03 am

Bok wrote:
It does have some Qing features :) , although it is hard to tell sometimes across that boundary.