Yixing

kekstee

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:30 pm
kekstee wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:32 pm
Well, that 70s HongNi is really nice I have to admit. Tried it with a couple of teas now, but I guess due to size and flavour yancha really feels like the most reasonable long term use...
Got a nice (current) Zhuni pot for sheng... but I wouldn't mind that in the HongNi pot either if it was bigger :')
Zhuni for sheng, interesting choice. What made you match them?
It depends on the tea and the actual pot, I guess. The zini I'm talking about here is on the left does an amazing job smoothing out the tea, but just shaves off a bit much fragrance. A bit too heavy on most shengs I own, aside the odd extremely astringent one.
Wish I knew what the light brown-ish zisha pot is made out of, that one kind of works as well. Guess I could use some better middle ground if I end up deciding the zhuni doesn't control the astringency enough.
_DSC4371.jpg
_DSC4371.jpg (262.3 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:01 pm

kekstee wrote:
It depends on the tea and the actual pot, I guess. The zini I'm talking about here is on the left does an amazing job smoothing out the tea, but just shaves off a bit much fragrance. A bit too heavy on most shengs I own, aside the odd extremely astringent one.
Wish I knew what the light brown-ish zisha pot is made out of, that one kind of works as well. Guess I could use some better middle ground if I end up deciding the zhuni doesn't control the astringency enough.
That light brownish one looks like what people would call Qingshuini, but who knows with modern teapots. Same as you had issues with darker Zini of more recent make, it killed a lot of teas for me, but there are too many kinds out there to make general judgements.

Middle ground could be Hongni for you actually, ahhh... it is really too complicated and case by case. Welcome to the rabbit hole!
OCTO

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:30 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:01 pm
kekstee wrote:
That light brownish one looks like what people would call Qingshuini, but who knows with modern teapots. Same as you had issues with darker Zini of more recent make, it killed a lot of teas for me, but there are too many kinds out there to make general judgements.

Middle ground could be Hongni for you actually, ahhh... it is really too complicated and case by case. Welcome to the rabbit hole!
Somebody mention rabbit hole????....... Cheers!!
Bok
Vendor

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:41 am

OCTO wrote:
Ya, it's difficult to hear, the depth and surrounding mud muffles the sound quite a bit...
OCTO

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:41 am

Bok wrote:
OCTO wrote:
Ya, it's difficult to hear, the depth and surrounding mud muffles the sound quite a bit...
:D :D :D
DailyTX

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 pm

OCTO wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:41 am
Bok wrote:
OCTO wrote:
:D :D :D
The rabbit hole has been quiet lately. Not much actions or new bloods :lol:
jsmilgin
New user

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Hello from Seattle, WA (USA).....can anyone please LMK information about these 2 YiXing tea pot artists? Many thanks in advance for any help here!

John
Attachments
YiXing Teapot Artists (1).jpg
YiXing Teapot Artists (1).jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
YiXing Teapot Artists (2).jpg
YiXing Teapot Artists (2).jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
pedant
Admin

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:16 pm

welcome to the forum, @jsmilgin. :mrgreen:
say hi when you get a chance by introducing yourself.

also, i moved your post here to the yixing area.
DailyTX

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:40 pm

jsmilgin wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:28 pm
Hello from Seattle, WA (USA).....can anyone please LMK information about these 2 YiXing tea pot artists? Many thanks in advance for any help here!

John
@jsmilgin
Here is the info on the second artist. You can probably use google translate.
https://baike.baidu.com/item/吴同芬/3832508

First artist stamped his chop over his name. It’s hard to read.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:48 pm

A word of caution for those who join Yixing collector groups on FB, as I just stumbled upon one: Just because they are run by Asian collectors and seem to speak with authority, it does not mean that they know what they are talking/collecting… some of these show shockingly obvious fakes and get very pissed off when someone dares to voice doubts. Excellent multipliers of half-knowledge, with boosted reputation by simply being able to read a Chinese seal chop :)

Be careful who’s word you take as confirmation of your queries…
Andrew S

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:14 pm

So... just like with most of the things posted on Facebook (and the internet more generally).

Any recommendations? Or is recommending anything too dangerous in itself?

Not that I use Facebook / Instagram / etc, but I might conceivably be persuaded to use one for the limited purpose of acquiring teapot knowledge.

Andrew
DailyTX

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:48 pm
A word of caution for those who join Yixing collector groups on FB, as I just stumbled upon one: Just because they are run by Asian collectors and seem to speak with authority, it does not mean that they know what they are talking/collecting… some of these show shockingly obvious fakes and get very pissed off when someone dares to voice doubts. Excellent multipliers of half-knowledge, with boosted reputation by simply being able to read a Chinese seal chop :)

Be careful who’s word you take as confirmation of your queries…
@Bok
Was that a Facebook auction page? I encountered a few Yixing Facebook pages that people try to sell their pots rather than exchange knowledge :?
Andrew S

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:16 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 pm

The rabbit hole has been quiet lately. Not much actions or new bloods :lol:
I'll post something once I get my mittens on it, after the lockdown ends in this part of the world...

Andrew
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:20 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:15 pm
Bok
Was that a Facebook auction page? I encountered a few Yixing Facebook pages that people try to sell their pots rather than exchange knowledge :?
No, just a "share the knowledge" page... which makes it worse if the intel is no good. I just wanted to mention it, as I know some members here were looking for advice and authentication there... Look for the group which mainly answers questions on seal chops and who supposedly made them and you'll find it rather quickly.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:24 pm

Andrew S wrote:
So... just like with most of the things posted on Facebook (and the internet more generally).
That is very true!

Andrew S wrote:
Any recommendations? Or is recommending anything too dangerous in itself?

Since Early teapots closed for active commenting, I am not aware of any group that is full of knowledge and empty of ulterior motives... you can still access it as a static page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/teapot2 but then – just get the book and have more info and all the pictures. OCR should do the job to get across the gist of the information.

All other pages I have seen are a mixed bag of possible misinformation and misunderstandings.