Yixing

Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:55 am

karma wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 am
Is green label really twice to three times as good as white label? To be quite honest it isn't so much of a "save up" issues as a "can't justify" issue. $300 or so for a first plunge into this world seems quite steep for me, I'd be willing to spend that much if I knew I felt it was worth it -- but not until that point. In my experience so far, it feels like people tend to say whatever price a site is offering pots at is far too high and then turn around and recommend another site offering pots at similar prices. I'm unclear as to what I'm missing.
Zini of 80s is regarded as good quality and some say better than earlier factory Zini. I can't comment too much on that, but I did never like 80s Zini with any teas I tried with...

Why I would discard late 80s onwards is the use of additives in factory pots from then on, as well as that they just don't look so nice either. Then I would just go for a modern pot to get your feet wet. Or be patient and wait for a tea swap? I know, I know, patience is not the virtue of youth :lol:

One main point as well – especially for a newbie into Yixing and without a range of comparions, Yixing clay will probably make no to very little discernible difference... that takes time, diligence, attentiveness and good tea. So don't fall for the hype, take it slow. Read and look more, buy less, opportunities will present themselves.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 am

Bok wrote:
Read and look more, buy less, opportunities will present themselves.
I agree! I mostly feel like reading without experience here is like reading about weight lifting while never going to the gym. If I could tap into this information without a purchase I would. I'm a library-over-bookstore kind of guy.

Do you think reading is sufficient for knowledge here? or more rather patience for the "find" of a good pot with some defect that otherwise lowers the price?

Edit: and I do have quite a few teapots to compare zisha pots against: I've just avoided them out of fear thus far. The primary impetus for this new purchase is the realization that I like puer at lower ratios and a 120ml pot would be ideal. A sort of "If I'm gonna buy a new pot, give yixing a try" mentality. Perhaps I am mistaken and should go for another czech or chaogzhou pot
Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:14 am

karma wrote:
Do you think reading is sufficient for knowledge here? or more rather patience for the "find" of a good pot with some defect that otherwise lowers the price?
Reading is definitely not enough, almost to the point of being useless. You will still need to get your feet wet at some point.

But you can train your eye on how these pots look like. Which again is difficult as a lot of people own pots which are not authentic without knowing so... IG is full of "F1" pots which are actually F2 or not at all factory.
DailyTX

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:16 am

karma wrote:
Bok wrote:
Read and look more, buy less, opportunities will present themselves.
I agree! I mostly feel like reading without experience here is like reading about weight lifting while never going to the gym. If I could tap into this information without a purchase I would. I'm a library-over-bookstore kind of guy.

Reading will get you with a good start, and save some tuition money. Maybe my own bias, I feel like every yixing lover has to pay tuition fee in order to acquire zisha wisdom. If you have a good enough book knowledge, you pay less. If you have someone who can guide you, you may pay the minimum (we all make poor judgment once in a while) :lol:
Youzi

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:51 am

karma wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 am
Bok wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:06 am
If I were you I'd rather save up and go for green label or older. As many rightfully suggest, newer factory is best skipped to modern post-factory or earlier.
Emmet seems to have more economic pots sometimes, you could directly contact him with your request.
Is green label really twice to three times as good as white label? To be quite honest it isn't so much of a "save up" issues as a "can't justify" issue. $300 or so for a first plunge into this world seems quite steep for me, I'd be willing to spend that much if I knew I felt it was worth it -- but not until that point. In my experience so far, it feels like people tend to say whatever price a site is offering pots at is far too high and then turn around and recommend another site offering pots at similar prices. I'm unclear as to what I'm missing.

I seem to remember reading positive things about zini in this period (in contrast to hongni), but forum post binges have a tendency to blend together -- is white label clay universally regarded as not-worth-it? What aspects make it not worthy of a first plunge?

And I shall indeed follow up with Emmet more (though his cheapest sold green label offerings are still $300), I corresponded with him about a pot for a bit but he didn't respond after I asked about prices. I remembered this as a week ago, but turns out it was just a couple days. :oops: I think cabin fever from isolation (due to illness before the pandemic I'm on week 5 now!) and my youthful impatience are combining in all the wrong ways presently. With nothing to do I'm just reading about yixing and annoying people online with my questions... :D
The reason I wouldn't recommend F1 pots from 1980, because evidence shows, that F1 started to add additives and Barium Carbonate to their pots from that time, and the amount they added could vary greatly, and could be ridiculous amounts.
There was a white label hongni pot that had almost 1% BarCarb (meaning 1% of your teapot is just pure BarCarb). Usually Zini pots from that era had less BarCarb, around 0.4%, however they added 0.4% Manganese Oxide too.

If you buy pots with additives, then you can might as well buy modern pots, made after 2015. Which mostly only have BarCarb added about 0.1%, and because of the scrutiny from customers after 2010, these are much more controlled and people try to strive for natural pots.

So, yes. Pre-80s or post 2015. :D
OCTO

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:10 am

When it comes to exploring Yixing Teapots, nothing beats exploring them together with a group of likeminded tea friends who are able to bring to the table, their very own and different experiences they have encountered with their own Yixing Teapots.

Taking notes and learning from each other will enrich your journey in exploring different types of clay and how it influences the end result.... the brew.
.m.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am

DailyTX wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 am
karma wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 pm
Not sure which country you are in, here is another vendor for F1 pots that talked about quite a lot last year:
http://2088taiwan.com/
Yeah, I like their pots a lot but they seem to not have any green labels in the 120 size I'm looking for and for the price im able to spend. I see people saying green labels are really the only pots that are worth it but I feel like maybe a pot like this will serve me just as well (if I'm not willing to spend over 200)? http://2088taiwan.com//index.php?route= ... duct_id=84 or http://2088taiwan.com//index.php?route= ... uct_id=171
A green sticker pot that not NZWH will cost you at least 250-300 unless you are those experts who have the expertise to identify them from eBay or other estate sale channels. If you kept your limit to 200 dollars, maybe modern pots from mudandleaves will provide much better user experience. Another idea is essenceoftea has private order pots, probably not many left. I owned one and it’s one of my to go pot for Sheng Pu erh that’s aged under 20 years.
IMO, this is a little bit overestimated. A reasonable price for a basic green label shuiping-like pot should be around 150-200USD. For example, I've got a 60ml shuiping 2088taiwan about 2 years ago for i think $130, and another member has been offering some around $150 in teaswap here and on fb, viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1311&p=19128#p19128
Of course, these pots are rarely perfect, often have badly fitting lids and badly pouring spouts... So, yes you'll pay a premium for a perfect one, for one that has a sticker on it, or for one that is more rare.
DailyTX

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 am

@Youzi
Do you know If BarCarb can be tested at home or do you have to bring your pot to the lab to find out the ratio?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 am

DailyTX wrote:
Youzi
Do you know If BarCarb can be tested at home or do you have to bring your pot to the lab to find out the ratio?
It seems to me that you need a fairly sophisticated setup to do a non intrusive test. Only one guy is doing that at the moment and it seems it’s not cheap either... you can just safely assume that with a certain vintage you’ll have it :)
Youzi

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am

DailyTX wrote:
Youzi
You need EDXRF analysis. You can take it to a lab, or you can get a machine to test it for about $15k or you can assume from 1980 - now, all have to some degree, for free. :D

Recent ones are less compared to older ones.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm

.m. wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
karma wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 pm

Yeah, I like their pots a lot but they seem to not have any green labels in the 120 size I'm looking for and for the price im able to spend. I see people saying green labels are really the only pots that are worth it but I feel like maybe a pot like this will serve me just as well (if I'm not willing to spend over 200)? http://2088taiwan.com//index.php?route= ... duct_id=84 or http://2088taiwan.com//index.php?route= ... uct_id=171
A green sticker pot that not NZWH will cost you at least 250-300 unless you are those experts who have the expertise to identify them from eBay or other estate sale channels. If you kept your limit to 200 dollars, maybe modern pots from mudandleaves will provide much better user experience. Another idea is essenceoftea has private order pots, probably not many left. I owned one and it’s one of my to go pot for Sheng Pu erh that’s aged under 20 years.
IMO, this is a little bit overestimated. A reasonable price for a basic green label shuiping-like pot should be around 150-200USD. For example, I've got a 60ml shuiping 2088taiwan about 2 years ago for i think $130, and another member has been offering some around $150 in teaswap here and on fb, viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1311&p=19128#p19128
Of course, these pots are rarely perfect, often have badly fitting lids and badly pouring spouts... So, yes you'll pay a premium for a perfect one, for one that has a sticker on it, or for one that is more rare.
60-70ml is the cheapest and least desirable size for F1 pots. This is why you can find these for $160 or less depending on condition. I think you’ll have a harder time finding 120ml pots in good/decent condition below $200.
DailyTX

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Youzi wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am
DailyTX wrote:
Youzi
You need EDXRF analysis. You can take it to a lab, or you can get a machine to test it for about $15k or you can assume from 1980 - now, all have to some degree, for free. :D

Recent ones are less compared to older ones.
Ouch, that’s one pricy machine haha
.m.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm
.m. wrote:
DailyTX wrote:

60-70ml is the cheapest and least desirable size for F1 pots. This is why you can find these for $160 or less depending on condition. I think you’ll have a harder time finding 120ml pots in good/decent condition below $200.
True. Size and shape are very important factors, and I've missed that the OP is looking for 120ml.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:12 am

.m. wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:52 pm
True. Size and shape are very important factors, and I've missed that the OP is looking for 120ml.
I picked the worst size! It always seems like I do that.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:33 am

As long as it’s not the worst size for your tea, it’s all good :)