Yixing

Baisao

Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 pm

Baiyun wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:42 pm
Bok wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:12 pm
Aging Yixing clay for more than a few years is of no consequence to the clay. It’s the same after 5 as it is after 20y.
I suppose such clay stash age claims will matter if the clay factory builds on reputation of a previous generation and their clay expertise, like is the case here.

I mostly take clay aging to benefit how easy it is to work with the clay, as well as increased firing resilience, is there supposedly more to it (say six months versus 5 year aged clay) in terms of tea interaction?
It’s a workability thing. Which means it probably does alter the interactions with tea, but I don’t know that this has been noted anywhere.

20+ year zhuni clay is still modern zhuni, regardless of named source. It’s generally a good clay. I understand why the seller hypes it up but they shouldn’t need to.

What matters is how well your teapot makes tea. There are Qing Dynasty teapots of famous clays that make god awful tea and modern teapots of unknown clays that make exceptional tea. The age, maker, and pedigree of your clay has little to do with how good the tea will be from a given teapot.
Baiyun

Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:49 pm

Baisao wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 pm
The age, maker, and pedigree of your clay has little to do with how good the tea will be from a given teapot.
I would not assume otherwise, and it is certainly not why I mention the information along with the pot. I also don't think it to be old zhuni or anything, the difference to antique clay is apparent. I am very happy with the effect of modern zhuni on my teas.

As you all well know, the majority of modern pots sold have little to no clay information beyond a sometimes dubious title, and inventory and suppliers of known sites appear to be shifting every now and then, so I do appreciate a named clay factory or storage, and information regarding how it was processed and/or fired. When these turn out to work well, or not, then at least there is some information to anchor this to. Likewise, named artists will also allow us to inform each other about attention to detail in craftsmanship.

It's the same with tea really, if details are disclosed they facilitate learning, comparison, and community discussion. There will always be a level of trust as verification only goes so far, but if nothing is disclosed, there is nothing to hold anyone's reputation to under scrutiny. So whilst the ultimate test and truth is the tea a pot makes, there should be more information demanded and provided in the commercial landscape.
LeoFox

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:19 am

Interesting post about lead in f1 pots

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2179755 ... 401220419/
SmartSelect_20230203_081801_Facebook.jpg
SmartSelect_20230203_081801_Facebook.jpg (257.8 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Bok
Vendor

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:46 am

Interesting, the connection between the machinery used and the lead which was measured in the clay.
LeoFox

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:46 am
Interesting, the connection between the machinery used and the lead which was measured in the clay.
Something to consider:

https://www.fda.gov/food/environmental- ... al-pottery
Today many potters of traditional or ‘folk’ pottery have switched to non-lead glazes, but they may still be using old kilns that were once used for firing lead-containing glazes, unintentionally contaminating the “lead free” pottery with lead residues that remain in the kiln from past usage. Because the lead may not fuse into the non-lead glaze, it may contaminate food when the pottery is used with food.
DailyTX

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:51 am

@LeoFox
Thank you for sharing. The FDA article got me wonder if enameled Yixing and Pewter with Yixing lining pots can cause lead level to increase.
Baisao

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:21 pm

LeoFox wrote:

Wow, so there’s lead in F1 teapots. I understand that the lead may be contained within the matrix but also lead of any amount is hazardous. I wonder if high quality modern Yixing has this same issue. I’ve generally been impressed with modern Yixing, especially modern zhuni, so long as they are well made. More consistent firing results it more consistent performance from teapot to teapot.
LeoFox

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:30 pm

Baisao wrote:
LeoFox wrote:

Wow, so there’s lead in F1 teapots. I understand that the lead may be contained within the matrix but also lead of any amount is hazardous. I wonder if high quality modern Yixing has this same issue. I’ve generally been impressed with modern Yixing, especially modern zhuni, so long as they are well made. More consistent firing results it more consistent performance from teapot to teapot.
Yeah, this surprised me. I think one motivation people have to buy pre 77 f1 is that the clay is viewed as being more "clean."

Digging around a little more, it seems that this guy from the fb link is also involved in selling modern yixing - and he provides the compositional characterisation results along with the pot - indicating it is free of barium, lead, etc- Prices seem pretty good

https://www.facebook.com/edxrfer
SmartSelect_20230203_133114_Facebook.jpg
SmartSelect_20230203_133114_Facebook.jpg (207.23 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
.m.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:43 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Digging around a little more, it seems that this guy from the fb link is also involved in selling modern yixing - and he provides the compositional characterisation results along with the pot - indicating it is free of barium, lead, etc- Prices seem pretty good
I believe TWL have worked with him on sourcing their pots. That's why TWL are now the only western seller providing a clay analysis and therefore transparent in terms of clay quality. Other vendors may also sell pots from unadulterated material, but it is a matter of trust going down the line between the seller, the maker, the clay producer...
.m.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:52 pm

Inspired by the post, today i'm drinking puerh in this CR chrysanthemum pot. Finger crossed that there is not much lead there....
Attachments
IMG_20230203_112636050.jpg
IMG_20230203_112636050.jpg (175.93 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
Baisao

Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:13 pm

.m. wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:43 pm
LeoFox wrote:
I believe TWL have worked with him on sourcing their pots. That's why TWL are now the only western seller providing a clay analysis and therefore transparent in terms of clay quality. Other vendors may also sell pots from unadulterated material, but it is a matter of trust going down the line between the seller, the maker, the clay producer...
I like these prices better than TWL. It’s nice to cut out the middle-man when there is no value add.
Balthazar

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:40 pm

LeoFox wrote:
I've been following his page for years but was not aware of his involvement in selling certified "clean" pots. Thanks for sharing.

Would be easy to suspect a certian conflict of interest involved, though I'm definitely not suggesting that he's altering the data. He doesn't seem to be particularly worried about CR pots in general himself, from his response to one of the comments on the post you linked.
Baiyun

Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:34 pm

It reads like the lead comes from polluted processing, including the mill and contaminated kilns, rather than pollution in the ground. This should be good news for unexposed raw material but takes the confidence out of supposedly safe periods.
Baisao wrote:
I wonder if high quality modern Yixing has this same issue.
I think specific testing rather than trying to gauge safe periods or sources is best for peace of mind. You would assume modern ore has been crushed in modern mills and fired in gas kilns that may not have seen lead glazes, but who really knows. I have five lead test kits sensitive to 10ppb on the way to check my pots.
Teachronicles

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Baisao wrote:
LeoFox wrote:

Yeah, this surprised me. I think one motivation people have to buy pre 77 f1 is that the clay is viewed as being more "clean."

How'd you get to that page shown in the screen shot? I'm having a boomer moment and can't figure out how to find that page.
LeoFox

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:20 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 pm
LeoFox wrote:
Baisao wrote:

How'd you get to that page shown in the screen shot? I'm having a boomer moment and can't figure out how to find that page.
Think you gotta be logged into fb. Then there is a button to their "shop"