Yixing

Chadrinkincat

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Bok wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 am
steanze wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:52 am
Indeed we are done... of course when I kindly answered your question about the appreciation for antiques in different historical periods, you could have kept for yourself your poorly informed criticism of the calligraphy on my teapots (which I showed for a different purpose entirely) and you would have avoided a lesson.
Oh thank you grand gate keeper of the sole truth. Lesson much appreciated. Seriously... The grandstanding leaves me speechless.
Attachments
9ECD45A7-DB96-419E-801E-6981788F045B.jpeg
9ECD45A7-DB96-419E-801E-6981788F045B.jpeg (247.95 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Andrew S

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:50 pm

Gatekeeper.jpg
Gatekeeper.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
I'm still searching for the gatekeeper.

Andrew
Baisao

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 pm

steanze wrote: … you could have kept for yourself your poorly informed criticism of the calligraphy on my teapots (which I showed for a different purpose entirely) and you would have avoided a lesson.
And this is what happens when people invest too much of their ego into a hobby. A small criticism against an inanimate object feels like a personal attack. This in turn results in ugly behavior.

I’m surprised this uncivil outburst was not corrected by an admin.

It’s becoming obvious that some people take this too seriously when there is a difference of opinion.
Last edited by Victoria on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: corrected actual quote
LeoFox

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:00 pm

Baisao wrote:
steanze wrote: … you could have kept for yourself your poorly informed criticism of the calligraphy on my teapots (which I showed for a different purpose entirely) and you would have avoided a lesson.
And this is what happens when people invest too much of their ego into a hobby. A small criticism against an inanimate object feels like a personal attack. This in turn results in ugly behavior.

It’s becoming obvious that some people take this too seriously when there is a difference of opinion.
To some it is not opinion but objective truth :geek:
Baisao

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:19 pm

@LeoFox- I agree. It’s a symptom of the essential problem: conflating a difference of opinion with a personal criticism. This happens when people attach their ego to a thing. It leads to a very unhappy life.
Chris

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:11 am
Mark-S wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:03 am
this looks more like the result of usage... body will always tend to stain darker with use than the lid, unless active countermeasures are taken. Simply due to the fact that the body is soaked in tea all the time, while the lid is not.
Anyway-- I have a couple pots doing this, too.

It's hard to photograph, but the body of this zini shuiping I bought from chadrinkincat a while ago (thanks! I love this pot) is definitely darker than its lid now:
zini_sp.jpg
zini_sp.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Same deal with this one from TWL, though it came to me like this, so I can't say the underlying cause with complete certainty:
zini_twl.jpg
zini_twl.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:34 pm

Please refer to TeaForum rules of Civility
Be good to one another both in public and in private
Avoid making ad hominem attacks
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Chris wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:32 pm
Bok wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:11 am
Mark-S wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:03 am
this looks more like the result of usage... body will always tend to stain darker with use than the lid, unless active countermeasures are taken. Simply due to the fact that the body is soaked in tea all the time, while the lid is not.
Anyway-- I have a couple pots doing this, too.

It's hard to photograph, but the body of this zini shuiping I bought from chadrinkincat a while ago (thanks! I love this pot) is definitely darker than its lid now:

Same deal with this one from TWL, though it came to me like this, so I can't say the underlying cause with complete certainty:

First one looks like difference in patina due to less exposure to tea. It became like this after use, right?
Chris

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Bok wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 pm
First one looks like difference in patina due to less exposure to tea. It became like this after use, right?
Correct, and I agree this is what's happening. Mostly just wanted to share something somewhat relevant but non-calligraphy-related ;)

That said, do you think the TWL example could be a different situation, ie, not from different tea-exposure levels?
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:43 pm

@Chris I’d rather not, as it involves the same parties. :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Seems to me that next to ad hominem, we should also add argumentum ad ollāris to the rules of conduct, haha

(Excuse me if my Latin is a bit rusty and possibly incorrect)
Chadrinkincat

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:30 pm

@Chris
Glad you are enjoying this pot! I know some people look down on zini from this era but I actually think it works really well for the types of teas I drink.

Not sure if the lid is a mismatch on this one but there did seem to be slight differences in color.
Octagon

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:49 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:00 pm
Baisao wrote:

To some it is not opinion but objective truth :geek:
To be fair they both claimed some objectivity for their views - Bok saying calligraphy rarely integrates well on a pot and Steanze saying this is a premature conclusion. Both of these statements claim to have taken something into account that the other person has overlooked. And I think this is the correct way of arguing these things, I don't think that "the best tea/pot is the one you like" is true, or at least not that there isn't a whole lot more to the subject than this. I must say I thought the discussion was quite worthwhile. Balthazar also made good points.
Chris

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:48 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:30 pm
Chris

Glad you are enjoying this pot! I know some people look down on zini from this era but I actually think it works really well for the types of teas I drink.

Not sure if the lid is a mismatch on this one but there did seem to be slight differences in color.
I tried this pot with a lot of stuff but it's really come into its own since I started drinking more fuzhuan, liubao, and the like. I don't think the lid is a mismatch (or if it is, it's an unnoticeable one), but the color of the body has changed more dramatically than most of my other pots. It's fun watching the patina develop.

Wrt people looking down on the clay, lately I'm feeling fortunate for having a small collection of pots I'm genuinely satisfied with.

Even though you can always go higher end with Yixing, it's way easier to get a pot that messes tea up (and I accumulated many in my 20s-- recent-grad budget + Yixing is a tough combination :lol: ) than it is to find one that obviously improves it. But this pot is squarely in the "improves it" category and I appreciate it, even as the zisha rabbit hole goes on and on
Andrew S

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:52 pm

My limited contribution to the lid colour discussion.

No idea if it is a replacement, a different batch, something that happened in the kiln, or anything else (though the clay itself has the same texture and level of mica spots on the pot and the lid, to my eye anyway, and the lid is tight-fitting in the sense that it won't quite fit if it is placed at the wrong angle).

It just makes nice high mountain and dong ding style tea for me (and it is also from TWL, if that is relevant).

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_7536.jpg
_MG_7536.jpg (198.45 KiB) Viewed 3148 times